Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
This thread is for talking about any anime that is about people doing a sport.

UPCOMING SPORTS ANIME (thanks to Lucy Heartfilia's Summer Thread for these)

BATTERY
Zero-G | Mochizuki, Tomomi | Mochizuki, Tomomi | Drama, Slice of Life, Sports | Light Novel | Jul 15, 2016
Meet Takumi Harada – not even in junior high and he's the best pitcher in the region, although he's frustrated and ready to give up, because he can't find a catcher who is good enough to keep up with how he pitches in this backwater town his family has just moved to. Then along comes a kid named Gou Nagakura...

Cheer Boys (Cheer Danshi!!)
Brain's Base | Yoshimura, Ai | N/A | School, Sports | Novel | Jul 5, 2016
The story revolves around the "slightly odd and cute" members of a cheerleading squad at a men's university.

DAYS
MAPPA | Uda, Kounosuke | N/A | School, Shounen, Sports | Manga | N/A
The series is about two boys named Tsukushi and Jin. Tsukushi is a boy with no special talent or traits while Jin is considered a soccer genius. On one stormy night, Jin meets Tsukushi, and they get dragged into the world of soccer.

GOON-RECOMMENDED SPORTS ANIME

Aim for the Ace
A classic.

Baby Steps
Not very gay.

Haikyuu!!
Haikyuu is about Karasuno High volleyball team, a once great team fallen on hard times. At first it seems like it's gonna be about the hot-blooded Hinata and the cool Kageyama, talented first years who just need to work together, but they quickly become just parts of a larger ensemble piece. Every member of the Karasuno team gets to shine, as they all work hard to polish their strengths, overcome their weaknesses, and most importantly, contribute to the team. One of the show's biggest strengths is that there's no assholes. All of the other teams are basically just cool dudes who love volleyball, same as Karasuno. You can root for everybody. But that doesn't mean you don't care when they lose. A big loss, even of an antagonist team, can come as a punch to the gut, because you see how hard every character works, and how much they care about volleyball.

One Outs

Ookiku Furikabutte
After a torrid and confidence-crushing middle school baseball experience where he was constantly and solely blamed for his previous team's losses, Mihashi Ren decided to give up the sport upon joining high school. Having been given the mound due to nepotism (his grandfather owns the middle school he attended) and refusing to give it up to a much more talented teammate, Mihashi decided he was unfit and and unworthy to continue playing. However, he was roped into his high school team as the club's only pitcher, as his teammates - all fellow first years - sought to establish themselves as a newly formed team amidst some of the biggest schools in the Saitama region. Mihashi quickly becomes a key part of the team due to his pin-point accuracy, which he picked up from extensive isolated practice, but his strategic knowledge is borderline non-existent due to his lack of experience within a strong battery previously. This is taken advantage of by his new partner Takaya Abe, who is one of the most cunning battery leaders in the region, though he has negative battery experiences of his own. The series follows Mihashi as he tries to overcome his crippling lack of self confidence, with the help of a really cool and supportive group of teammates and staff, and Nishiura's development as an inexperienced team - making use of its few strong points against much more capable opponents in strategically and psychologically engaging matches.

Oofuri is a fantastic series that is very much along the same vein as Haikyuu!!, with many wonderful characters who are lovely and cool and great. You really become attached to the main cast quite quickly, and the games are very effective at providing satisfying victories and utterly painful losses. The series is created by a sports psychologist, so character relationships and psychology are quite prominent and are, imo, its best parts. The slice-of-life scenes are really wonderful, too!

Also the series is gay as heck.

Slam Dunk
A classic.

Touch

Yowamushi Pedal
Yowamushi Pedal is the story of Onoda Sakamichi, a anime Otaku whose weekly 90km roundtrips to Akihabara on his childhood single-speed bicycle turn out to be the bicycle equivalent of training at 100 times Earth's gravity. He's a powerful climber, and is quickly impressed into the Sohoku High Bicycle team. This show owns. the characters are fun, and you see how hard they train and work to become really good bicyclists. The entire last half of the first season and all of the second season cover one three day race. 41 episodes covering a single race! You see the fight for every stage, the thrill of the breakaway, the terror of being swallowed by the pack, the sorrow of a team member dropping out, the determination to go on, all of the excitement of bicycle racing is here!

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The OP is pretty sparse right now, so if there's a sports anime you think should be there, right a paragraph explaining why it's good, and I'll put it in

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Argona posted:

you're missing the classics

aim for the ace!!

slam dunk!!!

Unfortunately, I haven't seen those, I wouldn't know what to say about them.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'm three episodes into Bbay Steps, and it's not bad. I like the idea of a Main Character who's starting from a complete beginner, and genuinely has no natural talent or flair for the sport. I hope Natsu stays the superior player for the bulk of the series. It's neat to have a female player be so much better than the main character and be his inspiration.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Everything Burrito posted:

I'm looking forward to Battery and Cheer Boys a whole lot, and had originally put Days on my to-watch list but read a few chapters of the manga and it didn't really grab me.

It's still a ways away but All Out!! might be worth a mention in the upcoming anime list.

It's a season away, I'll put in info when we're closer or there's a PV out.

I'm four episodes into Baby Steps. They've put enough goofiness in to convince me that Takuma isn't just going to be Sasuke, and I'm excited to see what this chick's deal is.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Smoking Crow posted:

baby steps, touch, one outs,

where are they???

I'll admit, I'm probably not the best person to start a sports anime thread, as I've seen so few. I just wanted a place to talk about sports anime. I'll start adding things to the OP as people recommend them.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
All of your recommendations have been added to the OP

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

CuLT posted:

Well, I barely read any manga, but I can imagine how KB could be tedious in that format. Haikyuu spent a season on a single match (or it seemed like it, at least) and I dig it.

What are the shows you folks are watching where the sport is less emphasised than other elements?

Free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Halfway through Baby Steps, and I am losing steam. Nat-chan desn't do anything anymore. Nobody does anything, except Ei-chan. We don't see anybody training or trying to overcome their own deal, it's just Ei-chan getting generally better at tennis. And since Ei-Chan is such a dull character, and his whole deal is that he plays Tennis in a very un-flashy, workmanlike way, that's not super entertaining. And the tennis matches don't have a lot of energy or style to them.

Also, I noticed the spectators. Now I see them all the time, and it's driving me insane

• Locked thread