Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
"Lemme use junk PC hardware for running macOS" - An idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah osx makes whatever hardware it runs on junk.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have a refurb mini with a ssd and it is extremely needs suiting

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
My 2011 iMac has an SSD now and it suits the hell out of my needs.

Wish I still had my old Mac mini too, though.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I want an ssd in my 2011 mini but it looks pretty daunting for these strong non farming hands

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
I upgraded the HD in my 2009 Mac Mini and it was no problem. The 2009 model was before they made it easy to open and easy to upgrade the RAM.

Upgrading my iMac to an SSD was waaay harder.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Doc Block posted:

"Lemme use junk PC hardware for running macOS" - An idiot

apple hasn't updated the mac pro for three years and pretty much anything you can put together today for 33% of the price will be faster for everything except some edge cases that favor a xeon

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

At least they are too busy making money hand over fist by selling shiny toys to care about blocking nerds from running a superior unix OS on their home built computers

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
no they employ some people specifically to stop others havingf that fun

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

please run mac os on mac hardware the way stephan intended

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Mac hardware is very expensive!

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I got one of these for work recently it's v nice

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

BONGHITZ posted:

reminds me of that guy from Doug

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
:thejoke: ?

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I'm watching a Doug rerun right now it owns.

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

which hardware components does 'mac' make?

?????????

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Smythe posted:

reminds me of that guy from Doug

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Satellit3 posted:

which hardware components does 'mac' make?

?????????

apple ones

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

BONGHITZ posted:

i don't actually care how expensive it is, I just want it to not be loving shithouse

i have no problem buying a power mac g5 in 2005 but a mac pro in 2016 is a joke

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I wouldn't mind the trashmac pro so much if they had ditched the crappy radeon GPUs and stuck another two Xeons on the main board along with more memory sockets, used some cheapo integrated graphics for the main unit and sold an official eGPU enclosure that you could stick the latest graphics cards in, along with whatever other PCIe-based hardware you require.

But really Apple should just go back to the cheesegrater minitower form factor, don't they still have the tooling for the old cases gathering dust in some warehouse?

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

mike12345 posted:

What about Intel NUCs? Isn't that like the Mini, only better?

Yes

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

error1 posted:

I wouldn't mind the trashmac pro so much if they had ditched the crappy radeon GPUs and stuck another two Xeons on the main board along with more memory sockets, used some cheapo integrated graphics for the main unit and sold an official eGPU enclosure that you could stick the latest graphics cards in, along with whatever other PCIe-based hardware you require.

But really Apple should just go back to the cheesegrater minitower form factor, don't they still have the tooling for the old cases gathering dust in some warehouse?

The cheesegrater form factor owned, those were the best

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Shaggar posted:

the start button works fine

if you install a program, close the installer, hit start and start searching for your new program the start menu can't find it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that's why you have icons on the desktop!

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

no man. no desktop icons

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

not cool

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Silver Alicorn posted:

imagine a beowulf cluster of macs mini

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
They're really slow with poor performance while very expensive. So maybe?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

nah they're fine.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
The cheesegrater cases are really heavy, but they're nice because they've got lots of aluminum in 'em so we just toss 'em in the garbage with the rest of the scrap metal

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

atomicthumbs posted:

The cheesegrater cases are really heavy, but they're nice because they've got lots of aluminum in 'em so we just toss 'em in the garbage with the rest of the scrap metal

can you use the case for a pc? Or does it have some quirks/apple specifics

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
you can with some modifications

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

error1 posted:

the trashcan was designed for a future in which GPU compute was used for everything, except in the future that actually happened GPU compute is used for like 4 things and they're all using CUDA which only works on nvidia cards

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

mike12345 posted:

can you use the case for a pc? Or does it have some quirks/apple specifics

it's not ATX compatible.

there are some really nice mods where people drill and tap ATX standoffs, and make a custom cable to have the front panel work, and have an adaptor for the power supply.

then there are some mods where people cut off the entire backside and epoxy a motherboard tray into place. (and have to turn on USB power-on in the BIOS because they have no way to power it on)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

~Coxy posted:

it's not ATX compatible.

there are some really nice mods where people drill and tap ATX standoffs, and make a custom cable to have the front panel work, and have an adaptor for the power supply.

then there are some mods where people cut off the entire backside and epoxy a motherboard tray into place. (and have to turn on USB power-on in the BIOS because they have no way to power it on)

Rofl. What a steaming pile of trash. Typical apple OEM horse poo poo lol. Gas

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Heres an ostensibly user serviceable atx case. Err... wait ... nothing works? Same form factor weight etc but none of the advantages? Cool. Suits my needs. Gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Smythe posted:

Heres an ostensibly user serviceable atx case. Err... wait ... nothing works? Same form factor weight etc but none of the advantages? Cool. Suits my needs. Gas.

the power mac g5 "dual core" ran so hot it had to be watercooled and the water coolers were made by loving Delphi Automotive so they just leaked all over the computers and ruined them after a few years

• Locked thread