Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
If Norway took the plunge and went full EU we could buddy up and try and steer that ship a bit.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Angepain posted:

this I'm fine with. But I've been learning swedish for some reason and people keep translating smörgås as "sandwich", I've seen your smörgåsar I know what they are and what they aren't and I won't stand for it this poo poo is important dammit
Only English nations are decadent and rich enough to turn their nose away from sandwich that doesn't have a clearly excessive and unnecessary piece of bread on top. In normal countries, free from neo-consumerist capitalist ire, we accept all sandwiches as equals.

Hot-dogs are sandwiches too, by the way.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MRLOLAST posted:

If Norway took the plunge and went full EU we could buddy up and try and steer that ship a bit.

Or we could keep our oilmoney and watch as you fuckers tear each others to bits.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

doverhog posted:

What are you arguing? That Iceland isn't culturally a part of the Nordics? Next you will be saying the same thing about Finland. Crazy talk.

Iceland is... special. It's a special place with special people. And I do mean that in the absolutely best of ways. I love Iceland.

No matter how you slice it though, Iceland is part of the Nordic countries, but not part of Scandinavia. That's a matter of geographic location. It's also not a point that matters, at all. I'd even consider Iceland a natural ally and partner in any kind of typical scandinavian (and absolutely nordic) union, cooperation, treaty and such.

Precision of terms. We enjoy precision, ja?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nice piece of fish posted:

I'd even consider Iceland a natural ally and partner in any kind of typical scandinavian (and absolutely nordic) union, cooperation, treaty and such.

Yeah, its not like they would do an incredible stupid thing and doom us all.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Alhazred posted:

Yeah, its not like they would do an incredible stupid thing and doom us all.

But enough about the Danish government.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

But enough about the Danish government.

At least you know who's head of the Danish government, that is not something you always can say about Iceland.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Meh 300 000 people where many are related to eachother can probably manage to get along quite well without someone telling them what to do. They just need to keep on keeping on.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

MRLOLAST posted:

Meh 300 000 people where many are related to eachother can probably manage to get along quite well without someone telling them what to do. They just need to keep on keeping on.
They're all descendants of people too murderous and maladjusted to live in viking age Scandinavia though.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MRLOLAST posted:

This was a population that almost perished because of bloodfeuds.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
A more interesting question is can Estonia ever be considered "nordic".

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

doverhog posted:

Veljeskansa until we leave you to deal with the russians alone again.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

doverhog posted:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

doverhog posted:

Never.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

doverhog posted:

I say to you again, do not call up Any that you can not put down.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Alhazred posted:

At least you know who's head of the Danish government, that is not something you always can say about Iceland.

Or the EU.

Can we agree being lead by a byzantine bureacracy, no average citizen of the EU knows who the "president of the European Commission" is (perhaps this has improved with Brexit), even less who the President of the European Parliament is, has to be as bad as being lead by those murderous Icelanders.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
That is medias fault though. They are convinced that no one cares about the EU and do not report anything about it unless its negative.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

I just wanted to say that recent events have made me extremely disappointed in Sweden. Your country was a shining beacon of hope in an otherwise darkening Europe, but now even that is gone. Nothing good lasts forever I guess. Shame on all of you for giving away your principles

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

kikkelivelho posted:

I just wanted to say that recent events have made me extremely disappointed in Sweden. Your country was a shining beacon of hope in an otherwise darkening Europe, but now even that is gone. Nothing good lasts forever I guess. Shame on all of you for giving away your principles

Its what they do: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweden_during_World_War_II#To_Nazi_Germany

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
I read that article and it seems like we helped the allies more.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

kikkelivelho posted:

Yeah this was really terrible, poor job swedes

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MRLOLAST posted:

I read that article and it seems like we helped the allies more.

Yeah, you were loving heroes..

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

why on earth would you go about and revive this shitshow that is D&D\scandipol\

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

ulvir posted:

why on earth would you go about and revive this shitshow that is D&D\scandipol\

Everyone deserves a second chance.

Maybe not Scandipol, but here we are.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
So. I propose a nordic federal union, combining the objectively best ideas, concepts and policies from each country (based on independent sources), a common currency (the Scandinavian Kroner, or SCK), and a common military structure and defence.

We can call it Greater Norway, since Norway is great and this would be even greater. Or maybe possibly Scandinavia, Norden or some such.

The nations would be Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Iceland. Finland can tag along as a puppet state.

We could negotiate with the EU (if that still exists) for a better deal than the EEA, be a strong united front against Russia and a major playor internationally (as opposed to now, where we are all but irrelevant).

So, let's put it to a vote. Who's up for it? As a bonus, the swedes would have to leave the EU, doing a Sexit. There'd also be a Dexit and a Fexit, which isn't as funny.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Fixit.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

The Faroe Islands votes to leave the UK and joins in as well.

#Faxit.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

ThaumPenguin posted:

#Faxit.

Can you export us some delicious pilot whale? Y/N?

Get Finland out of the EU to save the EU #fixit

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Get Finland out of the EU to save the EU #fixit

[the gif of bugs bunny sawing florida off of the US map, only with finland instead]

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

ThaumPenguin posted:

#Faxit.
But the Faroe Islands aren't part of the UK.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

But the Faroe Islands aren't part of the UK.

You have shown me a fool.

I think I confused them with Shetland.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I'm Norwegian, so no.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

kikkelivelho posted:

I'd say the problem is the rest of the EU not following Swedens example. Sweden got way more people than it could handle and pulled the emergency breaks. It was the sane thing to do in this situation.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

ThaumPenguin posted:

I'm Norwegian, so no.

There's norway that's true. Also we can export whale. It's just that nobody will buy any. Dunno why, it's hella tasty.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Its okay but nothing special. It`s a bit tricky to cook it rigth. It can taste like a acceptable steak or like a piece of leather dipped in codliver oil.
But i have no ethical problem with eating it so long as the hunting is kept at a sustainable level. Flesh is flesh.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

There's norway that's true. Also we can export whale. It's just that nobody will buy any. Dunno why, it's hella tasty.

I think we'd have some issues exporting pilot whales seeing how we're supposed to only hunt minke whales.

Eyebrows would be raised.

I never got around to trying whale meat, bit of a pity. You can buy it from ice cream vans here for whatever reason.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Whale meat is loving delicious!

That is all.

Noshtane
Nov 22, 2007

The fish itself incites to deeds of hunger
Too much foodchat ITT.

Let's talk about Miljöpartiet. They have now betrayed pretty much all of their core issues. No nuclear power exit in sight, Vattenfalls coal mines are sold and our borders are tighter than Tupacs first rap album. They didn't do that very good back in 2014, how will they do now with all the broken promises and purges to slow them down? Will we see the end of MP and F! taking their role as the small party filled with oddballs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nuclear exit is would be brexit of Swedish energy industry.