Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

lilljonas posted:

To me it is baffling to see how you can sacrifice all your other political ideals on the alter of making life harder for brown people, but then, many voters don't think about how things will actually turn out when the parties start to haggle with each other. And it is so incredibly obvious that Jimmie will be ready to sell out every single molecule of their party programme that Ulf doesn't like in exchange for a carte blanche for implementing the worst possible immigration-related policies.

I am not so sure of that, SD economical program is in the middle of S&M, and M was frustrated during last autumn because SD was not that interested in their lower taxes approach.
And M will be as dependent on SD as the opposite, especially if SD ends up as the larger party.
But sure, I believe SD is willing to sell out on this very issue which is their basis for existing.

lilljonas posted:

This is a very dishonest remark. You said that we currently have an unprecedented level of immigration now, a common talking point from the right of why a sudden halt to all immigration is necessary. It was pointed out in the thread that you are wrong, and that immigration has actually decreased since a peak in 2015-16, half a decade ago. Then you turn it into a smug "oh you say immigration is zero now?". This is strawmanning bullshit. Be better.

It is all a question about time scale as SCBs graphs show. Compared to 2015-2016, yes, it is lower, compared to 90-00, it is ~2x.
1 million immigrants in 20 years is still a number.
But immigration is crap at the moment for many reasons, none which have really been resolved since 2015.
The whole immigration/asylum process needs to be more stratified so that those in desperate need gets asylum and qualified labor gets visa (a major problem where I work, since apparently a PhD doesn't automatically qualify for a visa).

TheFluff posted:

Exactly, most of the voter base agrees, so I'm not sure what you're even trying to argue at this point? I pointed out that specifically when it comes to these questions of financing and regulation, the opposition is at odds with a large majority of the voter base. In response you said that private schools aren't going away, which to me is almost a non-sequitur. I mean, yeah, just like a lot of other thread regulars I'm opposed to private schools in general, but that's entirely unrelated to the opposition doing poorly in the polls.

You can be against the current financing system of private schools and still support private schools.
The playing field should be leveled so that they compete on the same level, which is clearly not the case.

TheFluff posted:

I don't think Svenonius et al is as local an issue as you seem to think either, BTW. It's had more impact in Stockholm specifically, sure, but people complain a lot about Stockholm local news being disproportionally represented in national news for a reason.

Svenonius is hardly ever mentioned in Sydsvenskan and I honestly care more about Copenhagen than Stockholm.
So it is a local thing, but like in every other country, people in a capitol think their issues are general for a country.

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

As a working teacher who has been employed both in public and private schools in Sweden i'll chip in.
The short of it is that there is basically no serious research that indicate that free choice lowers segregation. Some people, including in this thread, make it seem as if this is mostly a product of parental negligence. This although there is next to nothing in terms of research pointing in that direction. The convenient leaving out of queue times, and socioeconomically previlaged families compensating for a lack of teacher density in private chools all contribute to that illusion. Not only is this thesis not supported by evidence in Sweden, similar patterns of school choice coupled with shady financing fueling segregation is a well observed fact in the immidiate post Jim Crow south in the USA.
There are also boatloads of examples of school choice having a very close correlation with socioeconomic factors like income and parental education. This although most of it concludes that it is material conditions that inform why the choices are made. A good example is in the USA distance and residence plays the biggest factor, while in Amestardam with its excellent public transportation this is less of a cause.
Eitherway the scientific community is basically unanimous in it's opinion that school choice is a driving factor in segregation, and that segregation is a driving factor in declining results. Alot of our "recovery" in bullshit surveys like PISA can be explained by grade inflation in private schools. The causal relationship is very hard to establish with any one or two factors in general. What is irrefutable is the highly disruptive societal consequences of the "free choice". This is what gives rise to the islamist schools and right wing sociopath factories.

If private schools go away, parents will move to communes with schools that are good.
As far as I see it, my kids will go to communal schools since where I live, they are doing well on a national perspective.
Which is a pulling factor to move where I live. There are a whole lot of parents moving out of Malmö once they hit 30 and gets kids.
Or to put it like this, I can easily be against private schools since abolishing them won't affect me at all :)

Also see Zudgemuds response below, which I agree with.

Zudgemud posted:

I'm at least very aware that it does not lower segregation, it's more a way out of bad school districts for those that have the time, money and will to do it (realistically middle-class). Without it I'm pretty sure my "utsatta område" would become even more unattractive for new middle class families because then they would be forced to send their kids to one of the aforementioned lovely schools, and segregation would not improve either.

Zudgemud posted:

I would say that it is the exact same thing in Swedish miljonprogram areas, they are often placed a bit off from the "main" city population centers which makes it harder to commute to a different school district. Which is why I'm currently in favor of bussing kids around to force integration and break up the self-reinforcing status of bad neighborhoods.

In Stockholm and Gothenburg, this is the case. Not so in Malmö, where they have shutdown communal schools that underperformed to bus students around, which have really not solved anything.
The underperformance is interesting given that schools in segregated areas gets twice the money of the richer districts, while still continuing to being worse.
Bussing kids around is from my point of view the same kind of solution as the old-fashioned "we put the rowdy boy right next to the quiet nice girl in the hope that he will calm down".

From a personal perspective, I detest this approach since I have seen it first-hand.
I grew up in a small-town outside of Malmö, where I went to school with kids from varying backgrounds (and since it was the 80-90s, almost entirely ethnic Swedes).
Being the kid that was good in school was not always the easiest thing.
So for my kids, deciding to move to a place where my kids will go to school with other kids whose parents are also well-educated was an easy thing to do.

Cardiac fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Cardiac posted:

I am not so sure of that, SD economical program is in the middle of S&M

Safeword.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Phrasing.....

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

We also don't want Nazis in government agencies, and if MP goes that's a goddamn garantuee. Right now it's looking like they're gonna make it but I'm seriously concidering 1x MP vote for parliament.

I think the flirt with L is more to provoke more internal arguments in L than anything else. I seriously doubt Magdalena expects them to take her up on it, rather her goal is to come of as more responsible and less tribalistic. As for V in cabinet, I'd love to but theres no way that passes one session of parliament.

I think it's totally great that we've ended up in the same god drat "lesser of evils" catch 22 moment that they got in the US.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.
A combination of bussing and intense resource redirection is typically what works.

Also like most teachers I wanna get rid of EO, Elevombudsmannen and allow for better disciplinary action.

Having different classmates does affect results somewhat, but so does the social envorment at home. If you live in a 3 room apartment where mom and dad speak somali to you and your 4 silblings, it doesnt matter quite as much where you go to.

The problem with private schools is a combination of several factors. I'll list some here that are common talking points in teacher unions:

* Schools are organised and run/financed at the municipal level (kommunerna) which screws with funding and coordination, especially in big cities.

* Perverse financial incentives and rentseeking behavior from big capital leads to less teacher density (to increase profit margins) and a selection bias for privileged students (upper middle class kids).

* Near unlimited free choice and queue times makes the two above factors alot worse.

* Municipal corruption leads to school buildings in right wing municipalities being sold for a fraction of their value to private interests.

* Public schools have to maintain staffing for a set number of students, private ones do not. Despite this private schools get the same or more funding per student as public ones. This incentivises poorer municipalities to seek out private options so that they can better balance their budget.

* Funding is tied to grades (outcomes), not needs. This reinforces grade inflation and selection bias, to attract more privileged kids.

* No laws or regulations exist that dictate how much money must be spent on the schools themselves (basically, there is no profit tax).

Postorder Trollet89 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 24, 2022

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Cardiac posted:

If you don't know what it is, you have some very basic catching up to do.
Not a fan of your schoolyard tactics. Show me the BRÅ study that says "addition of a young foreign born male population means crime goes up", because I honestly can't find it. Or acknowledge that this generalising assumption of yours is just that.

quote:

It is all a question about time scale as SCBs graphs show. Compared to 2015-2016, yes, it is lower, compared to 90-00, it is ~2x.
Yes, 1 million is still a number. So is 2 million, 42 000, 12 and -40. You stated something that, according to your own choice of source, is incorrect. But instead of admitting that you misread or misunderstood the graph, deliberately or otherwise, you keep moving the goalposts.

quote:

Which is a pulling factor to move where I live. There are a whole lot of parents moving out of Malmö once they hit 30 and gets kids.
Is this rate, relatively speaking, higher than in Gothenburg or Stockholm? I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm asking because you seem to enjoy brandishing Malmö as your pontificating-cudgel, but as far as I know our three major cities all show the same trend regarding out-migration of young families.

quote:

The underperformance is interesting given that schools in segregated areas gets twice the money of the richer districts, while still continuing to being worse.
Are you genuinely surprised that segregated schools, and I assume that you're referring to schools with students from predominantly low-income and/or low-education homes, "underperform" despite more money being thrown at them?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

EL won't join R in making "No concentration camps in loving Rwanda" a dealbreaker before the election. Please let me know if anyone worth voting for ever surfaces in this blighted nation again.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Cardiac posted:

I am not so sure of that, SD economical program is in the middle of S&M, and M was frustrated during last autumn because SD was not that interested in their lower taxes approach.
And M will be as dependent on SD as the opposite, especially if SD ends up as the larger party.
But sure, I believe SD is willing to sell out on this very issue which is their basis for existing.

But immigration is crap at the moment for many reasons, none which have really been resolved since 2015.
The whole immigration/asylum process needs to be more stratified so that those in desperate need gets asylum and qualified labor gets visa (a major problem where I work, since apparently a PhD doesn't automatically qualify for a visa).

You can be against the current financing system of private schools and still support private schools.
The playing field should be leveled so that they compete on the same level, which is clearly not the case.

Svenonius is hardly ever mentioned in Sydsvenskan and I honestly care more about Copenhagen than Stockholm.
So it is a local thing, but like in every other country, people in a capitol think their issues are general for a country.

If private schools go away, parents will move to communes with schools that are good.
As far as I see it, my kids will go to communal schools since where I live, they are doing well on a national perspective.
Or to put it like this, I can easily be against private schools since abolishing them won't affect me at all :)

Also see Zudgemuds response below, which I agree with.

In Stockholm and Gothenburg, this is the case. Not so in Malmö, where they have shutdown communal schools that underperformed to bus students around, which have really not solved anything.
Bussing kids around is from my point of view the same kind of solution as the old-fashioned "we put the rowdy boy right next to the quiet nice girl in the hope that he will calm down".

From a personal perspective, I detest this approach since I have seen it first-hand.
I grew up in a small-town outside of Malmö, where I went to school with kids from varying backgrounds (and since it was the 80-90s, almost entirely ethnic Swedes).
So for my kids, deciding to move to a place where my kids will go to school with other kids whose parents are also well-educated was an easy thing to do.

white flight/fright is cool and good, agreed op

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Postmord must have misplaced my röstkort this time around. Gotta order a new one i guess. :sigh: They really can't do anything right this year.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
If you vote in advance you don't need it, just show ID and they'll print it for you at the advance polling station.

BTW I saw a claim recently that the thing where they let you change your mind on election day even if you've already voted in advance is apparently an extremely rare if not downright unique feature?? I have no idea if it's true or not but surely there must be other places doing it?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Cardiac posted:

Obviously, but this is still completely unrelated to the question we were discussing though???

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Had spare time to went ahead and voted today. Let me tell any other Malmö goons - whenever you think Caroli can't get any bleaker, it outdoes itself

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

TheFluff posted:

If you vote in advance you don't need it, just show ID and they'll print it for you at the advance polling station.

Hmm pretty sure it was the other way around but I'll look it up. Seems you can get it by pdf now anyway so.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Hmm pretty sure it was the other way around but I'll look it up. Seems you can get it by pdf now anyway so.

I guess it's possible they might've changed it this year, but I'm pretty sure they haven't. In both of the last two elections I've voted when I happened to be passing by an advance polling station and went "I guess I might as well get that done huh".

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

TheFluff posted:

I guess it's possible they might've changed it this year, but I'm pretty sure they haven't. In both of the last two elections I've voted when I happened to be passing by an advance polling station and went "I guess I might as well get that done huh".

Yeah I usually do it the same way, but always with my röstkort so never really thought much of it beyond that. In 20 years of voting I've never actually voted on election day!

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Beeswax posted:

Had spare time to went ahead and voted today. Let me tell any other Malmö goons - whenever you think Caroli can't get any bleaker, it outdoes itself
That's honestly terrifying.

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer
On the 11th of September, I am going to put on a nice shirt, take a brisk walk to my local polling station with a smile on my face, and vote eleven times for Nyans.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Beeswax posted:

Putting a mostly empty outlet sports clothes shop in the previously empty half of the mall... kinda made it look even more empty.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

TheFluff posted:

Are you being dense on purpose
LOL at giving cardiac the benefit of the doubt in 20fucking22. That's literally his brand.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

norwegian centrist press' new favourite thing is to call people basically traitors for wanting export restrictions

it's a brave new world where the hallmark of solidarity is to sell one's resources indiscriminately to the highest bidder, and refusing to do so is aiding putin

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Örebro now

Parallel lines converging in this man's face

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Aug 25, 2022

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I rather liked Örebro when I was studying there a few years back, dunno if whatever issues they have at hand can be handwaved away with “A BILLION DOLLARS!”

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Looks like S might've found their wedge issue for the election. Nevermind cost of living or the energy crisis, some girls are wearing cloth on their heads. S is well known to take a tough stance on the mistreatment of young girls, to which I'm sure the Foreign Minister will attest.

https://nyheder.tv2.dk/politik/2022-08-25-s-har-tidligere-vaeret-imod-torklaedeforbud-men-vil-nu-se-pa-det

Also lol at some of the names in that commission. Halime Oguz and Mehmet Necef, both offering very neutral perspectives, I'm sure.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
There are only two voting issues worth anything in Danish politics. The racist vote and the stupid vote.

Anyway, as far as comparisons to SD in Sweden goes, DPP, for 25+ years, always had a stated economic politic about conserving the welfare state, being supportive of the big healthcare areas and in particular and old people and working class people. They never ever ever actually cared about any of that, and sacrificed every principle and political goal on the alter of ‘gently caress brown people, especially muslims’. That is now a completely mainstream political position in Denmark. Top 10 strictest immigration laws in the world and being tough on immigration it’s STILL the most important topic in every election we have.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

BigglesSWE posted:

I rather liked Örebro when I was studying there a few years back, dunno if whatever issues they have at hand can be handwaved away with “A BILLION DOLLARS!”

it will cost a lot more than that to fix the main issue (too flat)

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Megamissen posted:

it will cost a lot more than that to fix the main issue (too flat)

[cries in Malmö södra innerstad]

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Top 10 strictest immigration laws in the world and being tough on immigration it’s STILL the most important topic in every election we have.

But the government's fair and evenhanded commission included that woman who'd make Naser Khader blush and the guy who doesn't see any signs of racism in this country where more than 1/4 wants to expel all Muslims, obviously their policy is grounded in a scientific and facts-based approach.

fnox
May 19, 2013

So the guy who stabbed Ing-Marie Wieselgren apparently now admits Annie Lööf was the target?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Nu börjar gnället på Norge.

https://svenska.yle.fi/a/7-10019955

quote:

Också på hemmaplan finns det de som argumenterar för en större solidaritet med Europa. Parlamentsledamoten Rasmus Hansson från landets miljöparti, MDG, skriver i en kommentar i tidningen Klassekampen att det bästa Norge kan göra är att reducera gaspriserna.

Lol annars...

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Bytter det mot at EU gir bindende aksept for at det er helt greit at vi regulerer strømeksporten selv. Det er verdt en vinter med makspris på gass.
Men å bare gi uten å få noe til gjengjeld er uakseptabelt.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
We'll have to invade norway within 50 years anyway to take their stuff

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Cardiac posted:

The underperformance is not that strange considering that schools in these areas have a hard time retaining personnel (despite comparatively good wages) which really hampers learning and the amount of help the kids can get from home is often low. Add to that some language problems and all other extra costs that come from accommodating students that have for one reason or another not successfully completed the previous years schooling.

Cardiac posted:

Putting all the rowdy kids from the same area in the same local schools is still poo poo though, and puts all the problems that these kids cause on the on the neighboring families that have the least means to do something about the situation. And, as is evident from today, those with the means will continue to self segregate from these areas and integration will continue to be terrible because the rich Swedish parts of town are never forced to interact with the other immigrant heavy parts of town.

fnox posted:

So the guy who stabbed Ing-Marie Wieselgren apparently now admits Annie Lööf was the target?

She was a target, he had a list.

Collapsing Farts posted:

We'll have to invade norway within 50 years anyway to take their stuff

So will it be the Swedish caliphate defence forces, the SD friekorps or the Sapmi jaeger confederation that first goes to war over the collapsed cod populations, depleted oil fields and junkies?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

From the so-called "Commission for the Forgotten Women's Struggles" that proposed the school hijab ban:

We must help them, but not too much.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Baudolino posted:

Bytter det mot at EU gir bindende aksept for at det er helt greit at vi regulerer strømeksporten selv. Det er verdt en vinter med makspris på gass.
Men å bare gi uten å få noe til gjengjeld er uakseptabelt.

this stuff drives me up a wall. people are talking about "solidarity" as though the EU is just going to see how nice we are and be nice in return when we need a hand. some kind of deal is fine, this "oh we should be good people and not look out for our own interests" thing is completely ridiculous and very end-of-history-brained

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
lol speaking of hos bad M, and especially Ulf Kristersson is, the latest polling show them falling drastically in support and that Sd is now overtaking them. gently caress my life that Swedes are so ok with outright racism, but it's also hilarious when the borgerliga keep eating themselves while pushing the overton window towards authoritarianism.

https://www.dn.se/sverige/dn-ipsos-moderaterna-tappar-stort-sd-nast-storst/

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

lilljonas posted:

lol speaking of hos bad M, and especially Ulf Kristersson is, the latest polling show them falling drastically in support and that Sd is now overtaking them. gently caress my life that Swedes are so ok with outright racism, but it's also hilarious when the borgerliga keep eating themselves while pushing the overton window towards authoritarianism.

https://www.dn.se/sverige/dn-ipsos-moderaterna-tappar-stort-sd-nast-storst/

Absolutely:

https://www.aftonbladet.se/ledare/a/XqxLJ7/jag-verkar-ha-fatt-ratt-om-von-papen

Ulf Kristersson Von Papen is gonna make the history books for all the wrong reasons.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Absolutely:

Ulf Kristersson Von Papen is gonna make the history books for all the wrong reasons.

Very nice editorial. Pro click as they say

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Absolutely:

Ah, the Tucker Carlson of Sweden.
He is a mouthpiece for S, who owns the editorial part of Aftonbladet.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure you can be the Tucker Carlson of anything if you're left wing. You need a better comparison here. Surely there's a bought left-wing pundit out there to compare him to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Cardiac posted:

Ah, the Tucker Carlson of Sweden.
He is a mouthpiece for S, who owns the editorial part of Aftonbladet.

cardiac being factually wrong? :monocle:
LO (the trade union confederation) owns 9% of the shares of aftonbladet and may veto the appointment of political editors. they do not have any further influence and definitely do not "own" the editorial part of the paper. LO isn't the social democratic party either, but I'm not really gonna quibble about that given how close they are.

like, the paper openly describes its editorial position as "independent social-democrat" so it's not exactly surprising that it publishes editorials that are mostly in line with what the social democrats think. it's not exactly a conspiracy. is your position just that it should be rejected purely on the grounds that it's something that S would agree with???

also, tucker carlson?! loving lmao