Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Jerry Cotton posted:

General conscription is cool and good and makes guns not seem like fun to most people.

Skytte är en skitbra hobby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
What you are talking about now, is discussed in this lecture here, it's good stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkm2Vfj42FY

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Unironically what I think of when I think of V voters interests, or those of the similar left alliance in finland, same for our greens,

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Working class people are also bad at correctly identifying the true causes of their woes and many of them subscribe to hardcore right wing economic ideas. I know a lot of people complaining about taxes going up all the time and thinking the rich must have got it worse, despite the fact being we're paying more taxes, so the rich can pay less. The rich have succeeded in making the working class feel solidarity with them.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

MiddleOne posted:

Yeah pretty much? Triangulation has been a thing in both the right and left after all. The traditional left gave up redistribution and the role of the state while the traditional right in reaction gave up on conservatism and the role of the military.

Now we got the worst of both worlds.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Goon meets should be in Kiruna

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Good book on economy in swedish:
http://www.abounderrattelser.fi/news/2015/04/nu-finns-fem-myter-om-finlands-ekonomi-pa-natet.html

It has a simple conclusion. Basically you can only have 2 out of 3 of these things:

A deep economic integration (globalization)
Sovereign national states
Democracy

You can't have all three, you better pick the two you prefer.

EDIT:

Since the book is free online, I can copy/paste this teaser intro, you can see if it sounds like something you'd want to read:

quote:

Rent konkret betyder det här att vi igen måste göra ekonomin till ett medel som hjälper oss att
skapa det slags samhälle vi vill ha; det som mer än något annat karakteriserar det ekonomiska
”demokratiunderskottet” är nämligen att det är ekonomin, eller rättare sagt en liten elits
ekonomiska intressen, som i allt högre grad dikterar hur vårt samhälle förändras.

För att den här kursomläggningen skall vara möjlig måste den marknadsfundamentalistiska
hegemonin inom den ekonomisk-politiska debatten krossas. Det här är, glädjande nog, en
process som redan har kommit igång; som vi sett redan här i inledningen finns det i dag både
akademiska nationalekonomer och tungviktare inom näringslivet som har börjat ifrågasätta den
marknadsfundamentalistiska synen på ekonomin. Det är till den här processen jag vill ge mitt
eget bidrag genom den här boken, där jag avslöjar fem centrala marknadsfundamentalistiska
”myter” för vad de är: till hårda ekonomiska fakta kamouflerade ideologiska ställnings-
taganden. De fem myterna, som behandlas i var sitt kapitel, är

1. Myten om att marknaden fixar allt

2. Myten om att staten är problemet

3. Myten om att skatter är skadliga

4. Myten om att utbudet skapar sin egen efterfrågan

5. Myten om att globaliseringen är här för att stanna

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 19, 2016

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I live in sjukt lokal lokal-tv, it's great (really it is).

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I like my kebab with fries, and macaroni salad

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

cinci zoo sniper posted:

*The product may contain between dozen and two dozen jalapenos.
**Served relatively warm.
***Seasoned with the spicy mix and half a cup of mayo.

Right, a true kebab

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

cinci zoo sniper posted:

My prime mystery, at this point, as I've resigned understand the culinary performance art behind the affair, is why jalapenos are called feferoni in Swedish.

You mean?
https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peperoni_(spanskpeppar)

Pepperoncini in english.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Låter bra

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Problem in sweden is same as in rest of world, political centrism / third way bullshit. People want alternatives, globalization is hollowing out society from the inside out.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

MiddleOne posted:

For example, in my old district I can think of a number of local explanations, such as as the bankruptcy of the local car manufacturing plant(thanks globalization), falling pensions (lot of old poor people, thanks Göran Persson), falling milks prices putting the pressure on local farmers(thanks the EU and Putin) and alliance policies virtually guaranteeing that the youth such as me had to find occupation elsewhere with the lack of jobs effectively leaving everyone else alone in their misery.

Listen, these people need to gently caress themselves and die, it's for the good of the world, the country, everything. Can't they just see how better everything would be if they were dead and gone? Why the gently caress are they such close minded bigots unlike us?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Med sprit tvingar vi dansken på knä?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Cardiac posted:

Bara om du är en finne.
Har svårt att se en svensk eller norsk lyckas med det.
Så dags att annektera Finland igen?

Gärna, sipilä fuckar upp det här skitlandet, och gärna kronan igen istället för euron. Fun fact, Finland har haft kronan längre än de hade marken.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Tonfisk, pepperoni, vitlök och paprika, nam.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Cosmic Creepers posted:

Åsikter om vegetarisk pizza rent generellt? Har hittat en bra här i min hembygd, men osten är väldigt konstig jämfört med konventionella pizzor. Vet inte om det är för att de lägger på den för tjockt eller vad :shrug:

Dr Oetkers Quattro Formaggi, den är godare mikrad än bakad i ugn.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

MiddleOne posted:

Sweden has been topping growth in inequality for years. 0% gift, property and inheritance tax is completely bonkers because that just leaves capital gains which in contrast to income tax is completely flat. You can just sit on your capital until the heat death of the universe because there's no longer a system of taxing what has already been taxed. This is great for the economy because reasons? :shrug:

Yeah and lots of shits in Finland have been pointing to Sweden and say we need to do it too because of idiot reasons. I think perhaps it could be cut off at the bottom to spare the poorest people a bit, but other than that it should remain. If we should've copied sweden on anything it would've been not joining the euro because goddamn...

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Where will they get their drugs now?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Alcohol is the best drug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ltg6XyzbtU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

A good read

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

V. Illych L. posted:

eh lots of contemporary right-wing populism bases itself on a sort of bastardised class counsciousness and has done so for a while, c.f. the constant whining about how the "elites" and journalists or what have you are conspiring against them

Meanwhile center-left people seem too busy defending globalization and free trade to bother with stuff like class issues anymore. Margaret Thatchers greatest success wasn't limited to only Tony Blair I think. Just been reading a few threads in this forum and it really makes you wonder if there's any hope left.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Biomute posted:

What do you mean by globalization in this context? A lot of the time, when these accusations are leveled upon "the left" (which seemingly includes everyone one disagrees with, regardless of their actual place on the political spectrum) by the far-right and the ill-informed they're referring to everything from free movement of people to any sense of human compassion and unity, not international-scale business. Certainly center-left politicians have a vested interest in propping up free-trade as long as its relatively stable and profitable and in doing so they've arguably helped tear down a lot of the victories their own parties fought for over the years.

I'm not convinced that they've done so with the consent of the average centre-left voter. Theoretically, we're supposed to have choice and then whoever we choose will generally do what we want them to do, but that's not how it generally works out. For us Scandinavians, it seems like after the far-right was defeated there was a period of incredible steps forward thanks to a centre-left with actual leftist politics, but then collusion between centrist forces in both the centre-left and conservative parties squeezed the left out and neo-liberalism have ruled ever since. A lot of the groundwork for scapegoating the left had been prepared by the centrists and the resurgent far-right have seized on that. They blame "the left" for threatening the quality of life that they've grown accustomed to, when the reality is that

1. Without the left they would never have had it in the first place.
2. The left lost control a long time ago and aint threatening poo poo.

I think centre-left people still care about class issues, but people are not very politically active. The most we can muster is a torchlight procession now and again. If the centre-left parties have been co-opted by people with their own agendas, and the parties left of that have been marginalized to the point of being ineffectual people are just going to keep voting as they've always done in hope of better times or lose hope and either stop voting or buy into the right-wing bs in hope of shaking things up.

Globalization as in free movement of goods and capital.

I agree the parties did not do so with the consent of the working class voters, but I think those voters are now either staying home (politically inactive) or have gone SD. S went for the middle class. Happened everywhere in the west.

Now when I look at this forum full of politically active, and I presume self-identified center-left voters, most of them seem pro-global integration. Probably because 1) they benefit personally from it, 2) they live in larger cities which have also benefited and grown (at the expense of other areas), 3) national anything is yucky evil stuff therefore globalization good, even though it leads to a plutocracy and destruction of welfare states and resulting inequality.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Greenhouse farming works well in these latitudes during april-october when heating requirements are minimal and makes some really great produce thanks to the long sun hours.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Oh yeah they had a swedish professor about that and antibiotics in the radio recently that said a lot of the same things. He said things probably won't change until a celebrity dies from a multiresistant strain of something.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I've been in italian supermarkets when I was in italy, I wasn't blown away the least by the quality of the produce.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Wild Horses posted:

where in italy did ya go? You need to catch the locally made stuff

We where in Rome, we did a lot of grocery shopping and cooking our own food to save money. I can't remember the produce being better, nor worse, it was the same as everywhere else I've been.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Sounds like we're in agreement, sending nukes to stockholm in 3,2,1...

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Yeah which is why everything is gonna get hosed to hell and back.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Sweden, lööf it or leave it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Randarkman posted:

It all seems to me like it will just result in public services being further centralized in large cities out of the reach of people who live in the districts,

I think this is the answer you are looking for.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Nice piece of fish posted:

Sounds like you're voting SP. Might not be a bad idea if you don't want more Osloification. It's impressive just how much the Oslo elites don't want any governmental functions moved from the capitol, and are working hard to centralize all power and municipal oversight to Oslo.

Then you realize that a lot of this probably ties into money and the realestate market, because the influx of people to Oslo (you pretty much have to go there to find work if you're educated these days, true for like 80% of my grad class in Uni) is keeping the housing market nice and inflated with people who have the means to pay (to offset all those poors and immigrants who can't). If jobs start trickling out and the pressure on the housing market subsides, the bubble of loan-financed expectation-driven real estate investment in Oslo might suffer. Can't have that, now can we?

Sounds like both Finland and Sweden have the same issues.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I would vastly prefer a nordic union to the EU myself (from finland).

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

http://www.etc.se/ledare/nar-hogern-tystnar-da-vet-man-att-de-har-gjort-bort-sig

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Nice piece of fish posted:

I don't get why everyone incests on icelandics being great, but I guess they have great family values? Have to love the country and the booze though.

Freudian slip?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Oh man did I ruin a clever pun just now :ohdear:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Heard sweden reintroduced conscription again. Guess that whole professional army stuff wasn't working out:
https://svenska.yle.fi/artikel/2017/03/02/sverige-aterinfor-varnplikten

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

La meg gjette: du er mann, bor på bygda, har aldri satt dine føtter i "storbyen", facebook-coverbildet ditt er er norsk flagg/vikingrelatert/en stygg muskelbil, graduated at: livets harde skole. Hahaha dere er så jævlig ynkelige as

Najs, kontra en annans fördomar med dina egna stereotyper. Låter som du och heinz har något gemensamt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Nu strawmannar du mig, jag har inte sagt man ska ta högern eller heinz på allvar, förstår inte ens hur du fick till det på det viset. Jag tyckte vara du var arrogant som drog en massa människor över en kam och liknande dom vid skitstövlar som heinz.