Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Dagbladet is poo poo, but it remains a perfectly adequate source of general news, with no paywall bollocks

listhaug has been pissing everyone off for a while for a variety of reasons, most recently by basically saying labour were terrorist sympathisers - this being the same labour party that had dozens of their young murdered in a terrorist attack, it didn't go down well when she stubbornly refused to apologise and only removed the statement when it turned out she didn't have permission to use the picture she used

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

currently there is an announced parliamentary majority for no confidence in her, which seems likely to trigger a government ultimatum saying keep her or the coalition gets it

the communists who forwarded the motion won't mind this, but the Christian democrats who have the deciding vote here will

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Heinz Hynkel posted:

Only one thing. The next loss for the left where it really matters. I am glad for our blue future. I really like to see the autistic left reeeeee and reeeee into nothingness. It will be poo poo either way but I like to see
the left suffer.

so how do you see this suffering manifesting and brought about

please be specific

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Heinz Hynkel posted:

Oh, very easy. The left will lose the next election. That is not normal in Norwegian politics but this is not normal times.

you see this as suffering because???

like you sound pretty unhinged, you realise, even when you're not supporting your arguments with blatant falsehoods

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Heinz Hynkel posted:

What blatant falsehoods?

well for instance when you insisted that it was government policy to help refugees learn norwegian despite the government cutting funding for training in the language

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

in this very thread, even! one might suspect that you were more interested in hating on dark people than in building a functional, international state which can survive in 2018's clear geopolitical and ideological reality, without gas chambers

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

https://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/solberg-regjeringen/listhaug-kutter-mer-i-asylnorsk/a/23681147/

this is in may 2016

https://www.abcnyheter.no/nyheter/politikk/2016/06/09/195222000/listhaug-far-ikke-norsk-kutt-pa-asylmottak

july same year. didn't pass, fortunately, so

https://www.imdi.no/norskopplaring/norskopplaring-for-beboere-i-asylmottak/

this is status. they still get the reduced 175 hours of language training, despite any waffling sanner may have made on the issue

the funny thing is, we went through this before itt as i said and since it's trivially easy for me to demonstrate this, as it was then, you must simply have forgotten in your prolonged and blessed absence

not really a good sign imo, may want to consult a doctor or psychologist

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

on a side note i actually do language training for asylum seekers on a volunteer basis, and it's funny how hardly anyone who shows up to those kinds of practical integration efforts sympathise politically with the likes of hh or disgraced former minister of justice listhaug

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

put your money where your mouth is hh if you want you can tell me where you live and i can give you a tip to an activity where you yourself, through personal initiative, can assist in furthering the integration of the recently arrived, mitigating the disastrous policy of our government in this area

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

how nice. perhaps you could follow it through with trying to base your political positions on factual information rather than gut instinct and vacuous rhetoric

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

well it might function as an integration measure all the same. bit skeptical of using conscription for this kind of thing, though i can certainly see a case for it being an option if we're serious about re-introducing conscription in general (which we're not)

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

and yet the government explicitly cuts the amount of training, and tried to cut it further before it was denied

this is policy, it has been demonstrated, and it is not something that may be effectively contested because it is an objective matter of public record

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Heinz Hynkel posted:

Yes! That is one thing they have in common with AP. Don't you agree?

quite, vote sv

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

not sure there's much evidence backing that up tbh, sounds an awful lot like hand-wringing to me

traditionally, there hasn't been much of an issue administratively with moving things out of the capital in norway - obviously it sucks for the people who are uprooted, but that doesn't mean that the services suffer from it

not that this doesn't come up every time someone wants to do something outside of oslo, of course

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Zudgemud posted:

First of all, nobody promotes centralization to increase the value of their property but because for the public it is cheaper (more environmentally friendly too!) and for the individual it is much more convenient in terms of utilities/social service access, job market and social life.
Secondly, earning that type of wealth does not really make you effectively richer in the city (the higher salary and better logistics does, however). Because the wealth is tied to your living space you can't really utilize it for consumption except to possibly decrease the big fat debt you take on when you buy your next living space. Housing prices are really just a symptom of capitalism and not centralization. Capitalism is not effectively fought by combating centralization either because centralization would still retain great advantages in resource utilization for any type of societal organization, and resources are always limited.

lol this has nothing to do with why people get ornery about every state function inevitably being located in the capital

again, i have not for my part seen any evidence that locating public services in the capital makes services better, cheaper or more efficient. the reason people want these institutions elsewhere is a) because they're stable, decent jobs and everyone wants those and b) because government is power and it behooves a society to locate power away from where the parliament and central bank are sometimes

nobody's saying put the high court in Svalbard, just let's not pretend as though our pathetic capitals are impressive enough to actively prioritise at the expense of the rest of the country

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

would probably be better to actually work on integration rather than just punishing people for not doing something you're not otherwise accommodating imo

as you say, most people who work with a language will generally learn it to an acceptable degree fairly quickly, but the conclusion to that premise seems to be some sort of work placement scheme, not denying people information about their health

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

one major issue is that whenever we make incentives for immigrants they seem pig-headedly miserly and punitive. this is not a sound procedure and is only going to further alienate those people to whom it applies, probably at the cost of some unnecessary deaths. it's bad policy for the problem at hand

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

not sure i buy the feckless foreigners narrative tbh

social issues are practically never helpfully analysed through individual attributes - again, while there are certainly issues culturally(e.g. high-caste somali women being reluctant to work), 'they don't want to work because they've got it too good' is a really iffy argument which i doubt you can seriously justify

also 'immigrants' is a very very vague category, it might be helpful to specify somewhat

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Cardiac posted:

I thought it was the Somali women who worked since the men were high on khat? Somali is btw one of the hardest to integrate where one reason is how many can’t read, something essential to be able to work in Sweden. The numbers for Somalis is really depressing.

As for degrees, in 2015 fast tracks to verify degrees were put in motion but with as far as I have understood disappointing results. The high-degree doctor being a taxi driver is to a large extent an urban myth. A clear majority of the immigrants have little to none education, which their home countries census records also show.
The degrees are also not worth much if you can’t communicate in the host country’s language.

Finally, 8 years to find any form of employment is kinda bad. In that time you can basically do an entire bachelor-master-PhD.

to an extent i actually agree with this, in that employment of new arrivals should be a priority. this is actively hindered by government policy, at least in norway, where asylum seekers are literally not allowed to get a job before their application has been approved - and, again, the logical conclusion seems to be an increased emphasis on finding people some form of activity, not to make health care basically contingent on already having one

use mandatory participation and such, by all means, but our system is set up so people get all stick and no carrot, which is a terrible way to motivate people to contribute to society. one Actually Good Thing about the norwegian system is that the so-called introduction programme is explicitly framed as employment, and participants get a salary, deal with registering work hours &c

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

yeah which is why some form of work placement subsidy is useful in the beginning

one wants to get everyone out of their homes and into some form of activity, though, not just the engineers

obviously, though, we'd want to make it actually legal for people to make their own money as soon as possible first, which is a really perverse piece of legislation

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Fox Cunning posted:

Civil engineers do 5 years iirc.

Bachelor-masters-PhD can theoretically be done in 9 years, 3+2+4.

am technically civil engineer, can confirm 5 years

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

what the devil are you on about

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the post i quoted is at best disingenuous and at worst incoherent, claiming that any position on the circumcision ban arises from whether one hates jews more than one loves muslims

which is a really strange thing to say, out of the blue like that

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

old school social democracy is legitimately very popular, but it's ideologically unsupportable through contemporary technocratic ideology, which places a lot of stock in marketisation, competition and sees the role of government as essentially providing a framework for the real actors (business, civil society) to prosper rather than act for themselves. add to this the increasing mobility of capital over labour drastically shifting the balance of power upon which social democracy depends, and you have the current predicament. the way out might be corbynite state capitalism, but it's easy to go wrong there, too

this view of the state being heavily pushed by the EU doesn't help, of course

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Rnr posted:

Good points. However, the first paragraph would be true if economics was the only thing in play here and if parents always valued maximizing income more than spending time with their child. I'm not sure I agree that Denmark is full of families that cannot bear that the husband's income curve takes a slight break in its projected rise because he decides to spend 5 months on leave, which is what happens. The same happens to the woman, which also accounts for some of the existing pay gap in our societies.

Here is a pretty good recent article in Vox, which has a lot of data on the what goes on with the pay gap and parental leave: https://www.vox.com/2018/2/19/17018380/gender-wage-gap-childcare-penalty
(Remember when looking on the graphs, that women take 88% of the parental leave days).

As for you second sentence, I agree to the degree that men and women should have level playing fields as in equal opportunity, to the degree that this is possible and also good for our children. People have a personal preference for making the choices they make, which matters the most according to the data.

I don't think there is an easy answer to that. And people that seriously think humans are just 100% nurture (vs nature) frighten me (not saying that this is you).

in norway, the bourgeois government recently returned to mandatory quotas after relaxing them in the name of freedom of choice because hey it's bogus

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

guys paternal leave as a mandatory shared business is uncontroversially good, provided the leave is compensated (which it absolutely needs to be)

literally the only argument against it apart from freedom-of-choice dogma is the breastfeeding thing, and last i checked the research on that was seriously sketchy (this is years ago at this point, so it may genuinely have changed)

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

even taking the argument for granted, it is entirely practical to combine most forms of full-time work with breastfeeding through pumps and reasonable planning

we, as individuals, consistently make choices which are rational on an individual scale in the short term but which are awful in the longer term and for the collective. this is one instance if that, and to rectify this we use laws and regulations

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

evil_bunnY posted:

You try pushing through your peener a marble so big you need stitches after the fact and come back to us.

Also, pumping is a gigantic pain in the rear end.

Mandatory non-birthing parent leave is cool and good but it absolutely doesn’t need to be a dogmatic 50%

not necessarily 50%, no, but i can see no serious argument against there being a mandatory quota in principle

it being inconvenient does by no means imply that it is not practical and i cannot see how it impacts my argument in any serious way

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i would, in fact, be comfortable with positing that structural discrimination in the labour market is equally if not more inconvenient than the arrangements required to ensure that the child is fed through the mother's employment and i am confident that i have literally the entire feminist movement in the country backing me up here

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

that is also a way to arrange it! again, my position is shared by pretty much every group calling itself feminist in norway, which i am confident includes at least a couple of mothers

the point is, convenience issues re breastfeeding do not constitute a reasonable argument against some form of mandatory quota, even if one accepts as granted that children must absolutely be breast-fed. pumping, in my argument, is one way people can and do solve this problem - and, as you point out, there are other ways. workplaces should of course be expected to accommodate breastfeeding insofar as it is at all possible

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

jesus what's with the weird usaklighet going on you'd think arne næss never wrote a thing

regulating human behaviour seems to be the literal purpose of laws and regulations, but idk if you're denying the premise of policy as effective as such

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

for real though if your leading objection to a political argument is 'you have never been personally subject to this policy and so have no say in the matter', you probably ought to re-evaluate your impulses because lol if only the rich were allowed to discuss estates or fortune tax we'd all be right hosed

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

noe du behøver å fortelle?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Sandweed posted:

It's more important to be in power than to have principles. We saw it with SV and Libya and we will probably see it with FrP and this.

sv gets a bad rap for libya - they followed the un security council recommendation, foolishly, but they were in a serious bind ideologically

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

obviously frp isn't going to do anything about this except whine and shout racisms, though, they have long since realised that they don't actually need to implement much policy

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Wild Horses posted:

Swe police is a monolithic bureaucracy that has been allowed to swell itself on idiotic do-nothing desk jobs.
Nobody wants to go out on the streets, that work is too demanding right now.

iirc this was literally the rationale of the norwegian police reform being rubbished to bits atm

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the migration issue in scandinavia is actually fairly interesting, because it illustrates how the reigning ideologies have shifted

curiously, right-wing populism has manifested very differently in the different countries; what they have in common is a refutation of international solidarity being a Thing. this used to mean a hard line against foreign aid, and now means fundamental opposition to the refugee convention of 1951

basically, right-wing populism in scandinavia tends to reflect that we are now, collectively, rich combined with the not-unreasonable observation that nobody ever got richer through sharing. if you're still insecure in some way despite all this collective wealth, that's a fairly potent argument.

add to this baseline populism re: common-sense and all the outright racists and you have a winner!

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

of course, the issue with refuting international solidarity is that it inevitably extends to a refutation of solidarity as such, which leads to a situation where you've delegitimised the most important ideological tool you have for mobilising in favour of your interests against those of the management, further undermining the scandinavian model, which is the basis for all that collective wealth in the first place!

essentially, the right-wing populists have to see foreigners as their main enemies and the nation-state as more-or-less sacrosanct. unsurprisingly, this lends itself really well to racism

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

KozmoNaut posted:

Most European countries gladly jumped in and whole-heartedly supported the US.

i feel as though framing the refugee situation as punishment for 'our' foreign adventures has a strong possibility of backfiring and has conceded some pretty important points

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

so e.g sweden is absolved of responsibility re the current mess given their relative lack of colonial history and non-participation in recent adventures?

i'm sure the swedish democrats will be pleased to hear it