Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Kopijeger posted:

Does that go for us Northern folk as well? And should the Swedes join France?

I don't have any stats at all but I think Sweden have had, historically, a slightly more indigenous/Scandinavian ruling class than Denmark, but not by far and we would also probably lean towards Germany rather than France over all. I only base my earlier post on the fact that I recall a lot of Danish kings and nobility having German names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Lima posted:

So how long until Sweden opens an embassy Ikea there?

Our embassy have already been hijacked.

http://findyrreporter.com/kurdistan-a-grey-market-paradise/

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

How did Bernadotte bungle up the invasion of Russia in 1812 when he was serving as Crown Prince of Sweden since 1810?

His departure robbed France of a somewhat competent general, he didn't side with Napoleon and actively participated in the campaign against Napoleon.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

Russians were already interfering by helping funding SD-supporters last election so I don't really see how it would be any different this time around.

Leaking even more poo poo on this and the former government right before the election is a more powerful strategy.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I, for one, welcome crashing and burning housing prices.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

CAROL posted:

”Joachim Kuylernstierna” is such a poo poo name.

Yes, too bad he was not named an "...nny" name with a "...son" last name, that would surely be more inspired.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Dirk Pitt posted:

It seems odd to me that S is supporting raising the retirement age, or is this just more shifting to the right that I lived through with Democrats in America.

It is also a necessity to make the pension system work in its current form, people are living longer on average and the system can't pay for those extra years without raising the retirement age. It's either that, higher taxes or cutting those costs elsewhere.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Randarkman posted:

Removing Gadaffi wasn't wrong. Not giving any thought to what comes after or making more than a token effort to support the construction of civil society is how things go to poo poo.

When you know beforehand that these interventions never plans or budgets for a realistic reconstruction and civil society building aftermath, then removing Gaddafi was wrong. He could have been enticed to de escalate the situation in many different ways beside acting as rebel airforce.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

The conflict happened because Gaddafi refused to do anything but escalate the situation. The alternative was letting him quash the rebels and disappear the protestors.

His ports could have been more effectively blocked, the country could be cut off from essential financial services, and any major military action from both parts could have been hinderd via bombing to force a stalemate and cease fire enforced by other parties. Really, just implementing a no fly zone as was seemingly intended would probably have been had a serious de escalating effect.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I just read up some on that Mr Akhilov who mowed down some pedestrians in Stockholm. He admittedly did it to cull the Swedish population and prevent the flow of billions of dollars that sweden spends on bombing ISIS... For an organization so much into beheadings ISIS is really bad at recruiting the sharper knives in the drawer.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SplitSoul posted:

Danish People's Party official Facebook. Denmark

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Cerebral Bore posted:

Turns out that Denmark was a mistake.

And the north sea is on the way to correct that mistake, just give it some time, no worries.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

It's the ultimate 'tough on crime' standpoint by basically equivocating crime with threats to national sovereignty.

It's also a convenient way for these people to say they won't have to increase the police budget!

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is Sweden still struggling integrating refugees? Or have things been inproving? I recall refugees had a huge unemployment rate.

Yes, because these things take years to mess up and years to fix, the effects of the 2015 wave are also crystallizing to more long-term problems. For example a growing problem is the asylum seekers who get denied asylum are often not sent back to their "home countries" and thus go underground where they reside in a legal vacuum where they lose legal options for livelihood and societal integration. Thus an easily exploited illegal underclass is growing, a boon for organized crime.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

While I'm asking questions, I'm curious, why do your education results lag behind neighboring countries? Is it due to all three charter schools?

Generally sweden has had some major structural and pedagogics reforms during the last few decades. From my personal experience talking with teachers, these reforms have seemingly in aggregate created and shifted a bigger and bigger administrative burden on to the teachers, which makes planning and performing teaching harder due to simple time constraints. This have also been detrimental to the status (and salary) of the profession and as a result the bar for becoming a teacher and working as one have become quite low (I have personally taught teacher students biology, they were pretty poo poo in terms of general knowledge and motivation IMHO, I would personally have liked my kids to have more ambitious teachers). Stuff like language barriers for new arrivals is probably minor by itself, but concentrating these students in low income suburbs where schools already suffer staffing/order/motivation difficulties likely exacerbates the problem.

For our department the new students arriving at university have become worse in terms of study methods and pre existing knowledge compared to students a decade ago (our lecturers say it's mainly regarding taking notes, do math and study by themselves off schedule). Which have resulted in us having to make changes to start the introductionary courses at a slower pace, provide more scheduled hours and offer pre course preparatory courses to help stem the tide of new students flushing out in the first year. However, this is also very likely an effect of the pedagogics and curriculum of the pre university school changing and us simply not getting it until now though, a problem we are likely not alone in facing.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Rnr posted:

I'm saying that quite a few people earn more wealth simply by buying a condo or house somewhere and selling it 6 years later - far, far more, than they can earn by applying their skills, creating value, jobs etc, i.e. by showing merit. That is poison to any society and it becomes oh so tempting to try and accelerate the appreciation of your property, by centralising even more.

We have a beautiful country, which should be decentralised, both power wise and population wise, partly to curb some of the worst effects of capitalism, as described above, partly because I believe it creates better human beings (google "happiness country vs city" or similar, for just one aspect - I would argue personal responsibility is another).

First of all, nobody promotes centralization to increase the value of their property but because for the public it is cheaper (more environmentally friendly too!) and for the individual it is much more convenient in terms of utilities/social service access, job market and social life.
Secondly, earning that type of wealth does not really make you effectively richer in the city (the higher salary and better logistics does, however). Because the wealth is tied to your living space you can't really utilize it for consumption except to possibly decrease the big fat debt you take on when you buy your next living space. Housing prices are really just a symptom of capitalism and not centralization. Capitalism is not effectively fought by combating centralization either because centralization would still retain great advantages in resource utilization for any type of societal organization, and resources are always limited.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

V. Illych L. posted:

lol this has nothing to do with why people get ornery about every state function inevitably being located in the capital

again, i have not for my part seen any evidence that locating public services in the capital makes services better, cheaper or more efficient. the reason people want these institutions elsewhere is a) because they're stable, decent jobs and everyone wants those and b) because government is power and it behooves a society to locate power away from where the parliament and central bank are sometimes

nobody's saying put the high court in Svalbard, just let's not pretend as though our pathetic capitals are impressive enough to actively prioritise at the expense of the rest of the country

I meant centralization more in general rather than only for government institutions to the capital. Infrastructure is preferably placed at places with higher population/existing infrastructure as to maximize resource utilization and people are almost always interested in maximizing access to work & utility, so the incentives for centralization are not some secret plan/general wish to increase property values or gut the country side of population. For many state institutions I agree with all of what you wrote, as they do not really represent services that benefit greatly from centralization to the capital, with the obvious caveat that one of course one does not place them in bumfuck Svalbard but in reasonable population centers where the population has adequate skillsets (one does preferably not place läkemedelsverkets main office in Jönköping etc.), which still means city and not out in the "country".

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SplitSoul posted:

Aside from language difficulties, another reason is that a lot of degrees aren't recognised by the state. The cafeteria guy at my previous school was an astrophysicist. I've also met a cabbie who was a Ph.D. in mathematics. My mom worked with a doctor who was wiping old people's asses for a living.

Also, a good part of these people are going to be refugees from active warzones, so maybe that's worth figuring into the equation somehow.

Degrees are often not recognized by the state since they are often really hard to 1. Verify, 2. Translate over different school systems.

An doctor or a pharmacist should never work as a doctor without deep knowledge of the local health system, language and regulations, which is why they require thorough recertification before they get their license to practice their trade. An engineer with a 2 year education that focused solely on the maintenance of old soviet oil Derricks will not necessarily have a comparable degree to a modern 3 year bachelor in mechanical engineering, despite it saying so with a direct translation of their degree title. What would be great is if all these degrees could get fast track alternatives to make their educations compatible with local standards and job market. However, I don't really think this is done for any degrees except those requiring licence.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

I fully support this. Bringing an already qualified (and probably relatively experienced) engineer up to speed must be so much faster and less expensive than fully training a complete greenhorn. Plus you get the benefit of field experience, sometimes under adverse conditions, which is extremely valuable.

This is not necessarily true when you go up above the individual level though. This is because one would need to have a custom study plan for each student that accounts for:
1. Knowledge gaps, these would first need to be mapped out by study guides on an individual level. For example, a student lacking knowledge of certain high school arithmetics required for a catch up course in chemical engineering would need to complement his education with an appropriate high school course first. Preparatory courses might also not synch very well with the dates of your next course, having the prerequisite course in January and the followup course in September sucks.
2. Language barriers, few likely know English or Swedish to a sufficient degree to be put into existing courses/programs and would likely need comprehensive preparatory courses in Swedish and/or English (for example SFI courses up to level D) to fit into the existing educational programs.
And depending on the different needs available it can definitely end up being more expensive in the short to mid term (for the state and the individual) than a full reschooling or acceptance of the status quo, long term outcomes will naturally vary depending on type of education etc.

This obviously also disregards any problems related to the difficulty of going to back to school, such as not getting a livable salary for your family.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Rnr posted:

Yeah it hurts that the scary bigot has spent far more hours with immigrants than you, has employed them, has arranged visas at the foreign office for many, helped with schooling, etc, etc :)

Anyhow, EU parliament votes DK and SWE's respective border controls illegal: https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/udland/eu-parlamentet-danmark-skal-droppe-graensekontrollen
The EU parliament, while being the more democratic house of the two, is essentially powerless, so it is just finger wagging so far.

And Trump has introduced a tax on exports of steel and aluminium from the EU (among others). I don't really know if any scandi countries have remnants of those industries though? Educate me.

Sweden has quite a good amount of companies producing/exporting specialized steel products, I have no idea how exposed they are to the US market.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Fox Cunning posted:

Civil engineers do 5 years iirc.

Bachelor-masters-PhD can theoretically be done in 9 years, 3+2+4.

edit: a bachelors is 3 years or 180 points (30/semester), masters 120 points, civil engineer 300 points. You could get a bachelors in engineering in three years I guess.

Aside from civil engineers we also have bachelor level engineers called högskoleingenjör which is most often a 3 year education. This is basically the same as a technical bachelor's degree, with the main difference being that a högskoleingenjör is a form of vocational training that thus need to include some specific non technical courses.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

evil_bunnY posted:

Can’t loving wait, also in the Netherlands where you literally get 3 days as a dad.

Considering the parental leave times in the Netherlands I bet it's the same ratio as Denmark though :v:

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

A Buttery Pastry posted:

What's there to be nervous about in Trump getting the Peace Prize? For him to actually get it would mean he actually somewhat deserves it, which would be pretty good considering the alternative is Trump turning everything from the Indus to the Sinai into a war zone.

The peace price is often not given out to people/entities that are always big proponents of peace but to people with the capability to produce peace. It's more useful to see it being given out as an incentive and inducer of public pressure for the people in charge of a conflict.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Potrzebie posted:

Are they poor? Then they should be compensated economically to allow for paternal leave. Are they not poor? Then they should reevaluate their priorities and make a budget that accommodates paternal leave.

This is pretty dumb as one implies you incentivize paternal leave by positive discrimination towards men and the second implies that a household often doesn't try to maximize their income. It also totally neglects the health benefits (for both the child and the mother) of extended breastfeeding (+12 months).

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

V. Illych L. posted:

even taking the argument for granted, it is entirely practical to combine most forms of full-time work with breastfeeding through pumps and reasonable planning.

I boldly assume you do not have kids that have been breastfeeding, if you ever do get that you can always come back to this comment and have a chuckle.

evil_bunnY posted:

You try pushing through your peener a marble so big you need stitches after the fact and come back to us.

Also, pumping is a gigantic pain in the rear end.

Mandatory non-birthing parent leave is cool and good but it absolutely doesn’t need to be a dogmatic 50%

This here poster knows what's up.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

V. Illych L. posted:

that is also a way to arrange it! again, my position is shared by pretty much every group calling itself feminist in norway, which i am confident includes at least a couple of mothers

the point is, convenience issues re breastfeeding do not constitute a reasonable argument against some form of mandatory quota, even if one accepts as granted that children must absolutely be breast-fed. pumping, in my argument, is one way people can and do solve this problem - and, as you point out, there are other ways. workplaces should of course be expected to accommodate breastfeeding insofar as it is at all possible

As long as the mandatory leave the non birthing parent gets does not cut deep into the sub 12 months age where breastfeeding have the most health impact I'm perfectly fine with a mandatory 1:1 ratio too. Because if it does cut into that ideal breastfeeding age it will just become yet another incentive to stop breastfeeding earlier, because pump time or nursing time is just such a loving hazzle that the ones that can do it just stops instead. It's just that in Sweden that 1:1 ratio could work decently, but in places where the total parental leave is shorter, like the Netherlands or Denmark, the ratio makes no sense from a child health perspective. So what you really should promote is longer parental leave, and couple it with a fixed ratio (appropriate for the total amount of time) for the non birthing parent.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Regarding the Gothenburg trams from Ansaldo Breda; the specific requirements for our local weather were not specified in the purchase contract (despite several other northern countries having problems with Ansaldo Breda trains due to it) so the "rusting apart" problem was very much due to our lovely purchase responsibles. In addition our local public transport service washed the trams in a way that ran counter to the way Ansaldo Breda told them to, which meant that the interior of the frame was thoroughly penetrated by moisture, which greatly accelerated the rusting.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'll be honest, I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about here. We shouldn't refer to racists as racists because they respond poorly to it? This isn't a public debate, or even a casual conversation among friends. If Cardiac was going to peace out because people resent his racist views, he'd have left this thread long ago.

I think the point is that racism is a poorly defined term for most people, and for many the term describes xenophobia & conservatism rather than one deeming others innately inferior due to descent.

Saying that someone is racist when that person's definition of racism differs significantly from yours is basically arguing semantics. But to fruitfully discuss politics and codify politics into laws etc one needs to go into boring details such as semantics.

Zudgemud fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 22, 2018

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So she didn't get to start her masters due to being suicidal?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

mila kunis posted:

By "we" you mean the US? It's unfair to blame most european countries for that.

But regardless of who's at fault, it's weird to see such a big hubub if refugees are such a tiny portion of the population.

You asked for migrant percentage, however migrants are a very loose definition that is used in the public debate to mean anything between specifically eastern european beggar roma that arrived directly after the EU expansion eastward, asylum seekers, non asylum worthy purely economic migrants, war refugees or any resident with a skin tone darker than snow. So it would be great to know what exactly you mean by migrant.

The number of citizens that are foreign born or have one or more foreign born parent are 24% (13% or so which are from Finland, as this is the oldest modern immigrant group). This also excludes all non citizens, of which there are quite many. So this does not say much about skincolor and ethnicity etc if that was your thing (for the far right populist parties/supporters making 90% of the noise it is definitely the thing). As an example my old Iranian and Somali classmates would show up in that statistic, but their kids does not show up because their dad/mom was born in Sweden.

The big hubub about recent refugees is also generally the significant cost for their reception and the difficulties with integrating them successfully into the society and labor market (this difficulty includes the problem of making people accept that sweden is no longer only a homogeneous country of white christians/atheists).

Alhazred posted:

No, she didn't get to start her masters due to the school thinking that trans people are icky.

I didn't read anything from the school about that, from her tweets it seemed more to hinge on her being suicidal (possibly due to gender discrimination/crisis/whatever) and the university thus freezing her admission to the master studies. I mean yes, it would still be wrong and loving dumb but not necessarily transphobic.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

So why didn't you post that massive tweet chain with all the information instead of that other short tweet without content?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SplitSoul posted:

So, the first woman has been fined for wearing a niqab. According to eyewitnesses she was assaulted by a brave vigilante who ripped it off of her while screaming slurs. The police arrived and fined them both for disturbing the public order, then fined the Muslim woman for her niqab. Police don't believe she had her niqab ripped off on purpose, but are willing to say so anyway before reviewing the security tapes.

How is the law formulated? Can one go around with a niqab with transparent face cover without breaking the law and will you also get fined for wearing a Nixon mask or a silicone prosthetics makeup?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I like the simplicity of those SD posters, they don't have a campaign slogan or anything, just the grinning face of Jimmy along with local representatives. Its probably really effective too because their branding as the browns gently caress off party is all they need for their core voters.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Zombiepop posted:

Well people should drive less anyway. :) (Just kidding)

The thing i find most annoying about the latest burnings is that the cops talks so much poo poo, someone should tell them to shut the gently caress up.

They say it aint political when expressen got a video, from someone in contact with the gently caress ups that clearly states that it is. Like what the gently caress do the cops know, I live in one of these areas and it's very hard to feel like the cops got mine and my neighbors best interest at heart.
like its a No-go zone, they are just criminals, they just want to destroy etc etc. Cops dont know anything about us and our struggles and frustration.
Not trying to apologize for burning cars but we are really treated like poo poo by em.

To piss on your own neighbors is really the dumbest loving way to make that statement though.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

Västlänken shall outlast us all.

I'm not very well versed in tunnel expiry dates but I'm pretty sure it can more than match human lifespans with standard maintenance. I for one welcome better public transport capacity and the trampling of old nimbys. The proposed aerial lift project can gently caress right off though.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Rust Martialis posted:

At lunch in the cafeteria, someone referred to a TV presenter who is openly gay as 'that human being' offhandedly - nobody even blinked.

In case these kind of phrases are said in English remember that us non native speakers are often very bad at quickly and instinctively properly weighting and selecting the correct word in a conversation, despite being otherwise pretty fluent in the language. If that dane for example would have wanted to say "that gay presenter" that could have been totally ok depending on the context etc.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Those coordinated car fires in Gothenburg some week ago appears to be linked to a local Mafia family which lately have been squeezed by the authorities. So no SD jugend shenanigans, just the local authorities actually doing a seemingly decent job, which is a nice relief as this family is a major reason for why several schools are poo poo in "their" part of the city.

https://www.expressen.se/gt/misstankta-bilbrannarna-kopplas-till-gangnatverk/

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Retarded Goatee posted:

Car travel in Gothenburg is cursed anyway so just remove all vehicles tia

Walking or jogging to work would be a great public health benefit and the lessened appeal of the city would do a great deal to crash the housing market. So I see no problems really.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Clayton Bigsby posted:

At Korsvägen you just close your eyes, pray and gun it

You are either old enough to remember the old clusterfuck or a sheltered youngling that has not known true terror behind the wheels. :colbert:
For the uninitiated trafikverket lies close by and almost all drivers license exams went/goes through korsvägen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Zzulu posted:

Gothenburg is a really ugly city

Central Stockholm is much betterprettier than anything east and north of Vasastan

This is all

Fixed