Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

evil_bunnY posted:

I'm already :crackping: 'ed from all my non-white friends (and only my non-white friends) getting poo poo from the cops when I was in uni. There was an criminal event near my house (sorry for vagueness, specifying the type would turbo-doxx me), and my neighbors looked horrified by how I talked to the cops lol. The only people more incompetent than the perps are the cops who'll never find them.

Sadly the cops can't do poo poo if people don't testify and they get some hard evidence. Luckily for a severe crime near our place the perps got filmed doing the deed and hosed up so much that the police found both willing witnesses, so they could arrest the perps an hour after the deed, and ample evidence, so that the perps eventually confessed basically everything. But that confluence of lucky factors is really not the norm apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

V. Illych L. posted:

hell i'm in the eternally-squeezed middle section of academia so i'm probably going to see a paycut somehow

Inflation will be how.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

THE BAR posted:

Is no one here wearing shorts?

Sadly it can be problematic during lab work.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

jeebus bob posted:

No it is bad and awkward. This is the part Swedes just don't seem to get; the person left alone in a strange house while the residents do a shared activity would feel extremely ostracized and unwelcome, especially when that person is a child.

I can't imagine deliberately not feeding a child who spent any amount of time in my care.

You assume one feels ostracized when in reality for us that grew up with it that was just normal and you hung around in your friends room and got to play with all their Lego and cool robots yourself for a while.

If you came from a different culture like many immigrants today you would probably think it was incredibly rude but neither me nor my childhood friends interpreted it as that we were not welcome. In general we actually didn't interact with the parents at all and stayed away from all family activities unless our parents arranged something together. This is also something that apparently differs from other cultures based on lunchtime talks at work, where people from other countries seem to have grown up doing everything from dinners, shopping, day trips and emotional support talks with their friend's parents.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

anatomi posted:

Greedy fucks. Having a roof over your head is a human rights issue.

We've recieved letters from Heimstaden where they're letting us know that they're gonna pull us into hyresnämnden for refusing to pay their un-negotiated second rent hike. They also claim that 7 out of 10 of their renters have agreed to the second hike, which, if true, is shocking.

According to Heimstaden's own estimations, rent across all their stock should increase 3-8% when bruksvärdet is taken into account, but they're only doing this for apartments where people have refused the un-negotiated hike.

I want to blow up their office.

Just to confirm, the 7 out of 10 acceptance rate is due to 7 out of 10 grudgingly paying the increased rent and not actually signing off on some paper right?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure we should post the images here, a 34 year old guy was accompanied by a much older looking gray haired dude, which after a quick googling is a 49 year old guy with the same name.

I already mailed them about it.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

BonHair posted:

Yeah, I really have to stop that thing about cancer treatments, I should know I'm probably wrong. The main part of the argument that I actually remember is that cancer is super common, meaning everyone is affected by it either personally or by relations, which means that it has traditionally been an important political priority, regardless of how effective the actual treatment is. And that is, to my mind, politicians making medical priorities, which should be left to people who can figure out the best way to use limited resources (I'm actually kinda pro economists here).
But politicians are a representative of popular will so it make sense that they should have a say on priority too. Otherwise we might just go full on technocracy and force people to exercise instead of taking most drug because that is statistically a better option than pills for the patients health.

BonHair posted:

Obviously, especially with early treatment and diagnosing, cancer treatment is probably good in a lot of cases.
And also obviously, it shouldn't really be a matter of deciding who gets to live and die based on the budget. Besides the obvious solution of budgeting to fit the need instead of budgeting to cut taxes, a lot of good could probably come from public pharma research at the universities instead of having to rely on our pals at Novo and friends.

Public pharma research at universities are very rarely directly applicable drugs while at the university research group level, it is mostly proof of concept stuff regarding treatment. If the ideas and supporting data is solid the route in 99% of cases are to start a company and take in external financing to further refine the concept to a workable product. From this point the small company either tries to launch the product themselves or they get bought up by a larger corporate entity which tries to launch it or further refine it.

This is because the researchers at universities is most often highly specialized in their field of knowledge and it simply takes other competences to develop something to a final workable drug; such as regulatory compliance, manufacturing optimization and patient trials. All of which are expensive and require a larger organization to coordinate and pay for. So unless you also move these competences and costs into mostly public institutions your public pharma research is going to need Novo Nordisk and friends.
So yes full communism now could possibly solve that problem of drug costs being a major factor, but until then this is what we have. Modern biologicals would however still be relatively expensive in this scenario as the manufacturing process is much more expensive than for traditional drugs due to relying on living cells for the production.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I feel less safe because of gang violence since there were two gang related murders within a 100 meters radius of my apartment, territorial patrolling by gang members, local gangs just hanging out outside of local schools and masked drug couriers swooshing by at very high speeds on pedestrian streets/playgrounds on their e-scooters. gently caress those gangs I wish the police had eyes in the sky 24/7 because at least then they didn't gently caress around outdoors and bother the rest of us. This was the same part of town that I grew up in and there has been a very noticeable increase in gang related poo poo during the last 10-15 years, and day and night compared to when I grew up in the area. I just moved because gently caress having kids grow up there now.

Also, the gangs give no poo poo about if you are not their target or "just live there" when they plan their activities. You, your family and friends will be subjected to the poo poo they bring anyway, all their poo poo.

Zudgemud fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 18, 2023

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

endocriminologist posted:

Every gang member I've ever met has been incredibly unfunny and weird but I prefer them to constant surveillance

I know that constant surveillance is not the good solution. But at the same time it sure feels good to have that when you can see with your own eyes how the gangs move indoor and away from the playground at the sound of a chopper and how much of an impact random surveillance cameras had in nailing the perpetrators for one of the nearby murders (which btw left blood stains on the way to preschool that was visible for weeks!).

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Gang problems related to security are also not just you personally getting shot, it's having your local public facilities (gym, library, playgrounds) getting hijacked by shitheads who act like they own the place, it's getting mugged by the druggies that their sales spots attracts, it's being hit by their loving reckless driving, it's random vandalism like getting your car burnt up, it's witness suppression, it's all the lovely things associated with organized crime and dumb kids combined.

My personal local favorite was the guys spray tagging their lame gang tag on our preschool and leaving a whole bunch of broken glass in the sandbox.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

His Divine Shadow posted:

Whats public opinion like? The swedish forums I frequent are bougie nests like byggahus and lots of terrible people and liberals there foaming at the mouth about unions and predicting ultimate doom and musk victory.

In my brief conversations about it few really seem to care. Nobody appears to like Musk and very few seem to have that much against the Swedish model so Tesla is not getting much sympathy except from Tesla owners and the usual, relatively few, suspects.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Potrzebie posted:

Why? Why not drain the swamp properly and reinstate banishment as punishment?

(I know why, it's racism)

E2: lol, our government should stop looking at SA posts for policy.

How would that even work with citizenship? Do they seriously expect these stateless individuals to just stop existing and not just become a permanent papperslös that will become wholly unable to support themselves legally?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

V. Illych L. posted:

[ASK] me about being a failed labour organiser

What made you fail at it?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Hel posted:

Well according to https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/y6Aam2/irena-pozar-hyckleri-nar-manniskor-dor-pa-jobbet , the amount of people killed by gangs is the same as people dying at work. So maybe we should have the police focus on secretly listening in on employers and stop suspected ones from being in public places, without evidence. I fully support a stop and frisk program for suspected company owners.

Considering how entrenched organized crime is in construction it would probably be a good idea if it would be focused on construction companies and the cops were accompanied by inspectors from Arbetsmiljöverket.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

Swedish government wants to make it criminal to hurt cop feelings.

Not just cops, but all tjänstemän! Tell the nurse at the ER to go to hell when she refuses to prioritize your scratched arm over some fractured legs, dagsböter. Yell at the teacher for giving your daughter a C instead of A in math, dagsböter. Repeatedly scream whore to the pharmacist that does not hand out your opioids before the set prescription interval, dagsböter. I can see some upsides here!

Would be real fun if it, in a half assed implementation, is somehow limited to state employees and teachers, inspectors etc. employed by private entities get nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty confident that the reason the skulls have not been returned is a mix of "we don't know exactly where they are and won't allocate funds to find them” and "this would set a precedent for other entities to loot our extensive loot, at our cost!".