Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
We are looking wistfully at America, Britain, France, Turkey, jealous of the things that make a country interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
You can't just point to a singular problem behind the rise of the far right. Terrorism obviously contributes. Neoliberalism contributes because it doesn't engage the working class even if they agree with it. Another thing that worries me is how much echo chambers may contribute. Urbanization creates echo chambers. Political correctness creates echo chambers. People left out of those echo chambers can through the miracle of technology create their own echo chambers on the internet.

People like to say we have history on our side, that people have always gotten more equal and will continue to do so. I can't be that optimistic. The left has never before faced problems that span the entire earth. We are up against a global market that does not want to be changed, and we have to change it to both stop global warming and to reduce the ever increasing wealth gap. But global warming has already started, and could destabilize large parts of the world. Jobs are not only outsourced but increasingly automated. How would the left deal with refugee crises orders of magnitude larger than the one in Syria, while the competition for jobs is higher than ever?

My fear is that the future unlike the past doesn't favor progressives, but reactionaries. Trump's wall and isolationism are the simple solutions to complex problems, and if we can't find our own solutions to such problems not even Sweden will stand against far right populism.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
They also make really gross coffee.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Vi bör riva Åhlens och i dess plats bygga ett moment åt offren förövaren som ensamt lyckades genomföra den största attacken mot Sverige på 200 år.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Alhazred posted:

Cardiac's attempts to score political points isn't exactly less disgusting, only a little bit more subtle.
https://www.thoughtsandprayersthegame.com/

I respect bullshit and political posturing a lot more than giving up trying to discuss anything in favor of competing to be the most considerate person around.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Wild Horses posted:

having a big love and solidarity festival a couple meters away from the place where people died and got wounded seemed a bit insensitive. Not even a day of mourning?
I guess i just want people to be a bit torn up, going on tv and smiling and being "together" strikes me the wrong way somehow.
People die every day bud. The difference this time is that some guy killed specifically to suppress our society by making a whole nation mourn 4 random strangers, to create fear by having it be the focus of the media 24/7, and to create hatred and mistrust among races and political parties who blame each other. Please don't judge other people for not following the script.

Mercrom fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 9, 2017

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Wild Horses posted:

yeah that. Or maybe people are just unable to cope with feeling sad for a couple of measly days.
Gotta push those feelings away, gotta be positive, these guys in charge said it was alright

also its not "every day" that innocents are killed in absurd islamic terror. It's actually a first in sweden
It's the price of freedom. And globalism. Sweden can not be part of the same world as IS and not be affected by them. We have to live with terrorism in all it's forms until we find a solution, just like we have to live with cancer or automobile accidents.

The people in charge are not saying things are alright. The prime minister said this was an attack on the nation. But the only way one person can attack a whole nation by himself is if we make it true through paranoia.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
He was right though. SD is gonna become the largest party unless we somehow shut down the internet.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
if we ignore them they will go away

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Potrzebie posted:

They have a very significant reduction in hate crimes. So whatever they did, they did something good.

http://www.france24.com/en/20170201-number-racist-incidents-france-plummets

Seems like they did in the short term at least. How much is due to the state of emergency and how much is due to efforts to combat racism?

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

This whole thing is sick and cancerous at it's core. gently caress it. gently caress globalization while I am at it too.
Also gently caress entropy. The second law of thermodynamics was such a bad idea.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

You're one of those types who think globalization is inevitable then?

No I think we can uninvent boats.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

You linked 78 pages on why neoliberalism bad I'm not gonna read it all partly because I know already.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Well I care slightly more than the guy who just wants to yell at clouds so I found the thing you were talking about in literally the last chapter and it's just the same old gently caress you got mine protectionism mixed with the kind of economic anecdotes all economists love to use.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Sandweed posted:

See​ both sides are just as bad.

clearly the people oppressed by the police are the victims here

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I hated being taught democratic values in school.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

SplitSoul posted:

You do realise this is not in his capacity as Minister of Education, as that has no bearing on requirements for citizenship? Do you understand what the word "coercion" means?

I hated being taught democratic values in school under threat of being failed because I felt it was coercive and went against the core values of democracy and freedom of speech. Then I grew up.

But I don't really know the goal here. Is it an honest defense of democratic values or an excuse to deport muslims? It being literally ten commandments makes me lean towards the latter, but that does not mean the idea by itself is unsound. The problem is the seeming lack of necessity and the risk of abuse. But I say "seeming" lack of necessity because few people engage in honest discourse about issues of integration and that worries me.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

SplitSoul posted:

This dude publicly lauded a convicted murderer and biker president for writing a racist manifesto about immigrant "jackals". This was during an ongoing war in the streets between Hell's Angels and immigrant gangs. Then he became Minister of Justice. He doesn't consider immigrants "normal people" as it relates to public housing. He is in favour of warrantless mass surveillance with no impact on either crime or terrorism. He refers to himself as "The Sheriff" and "The Minister of Freedom". His party just agreed to ban articles of clothing, has implemented state-sanctioned daylight robbery of arriving refugees, and deliberately violates human rights on a regular basis. They're presently shielding the Minister of Immigration from prosecution for violating human rights and Danish law. What do you think?

Sometimes I think most of what I hear about Denmark must be exaggerated. People certainly make up lies about Sweden. Either way I loving hate politics.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Sweden should atone for past sins by invading Saudi Arabia and creating a foothold for social democratic values in the middle east.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

There's something very different about doing a voluntary census to get a more complex image of discrimination and a wholesale combing and re-definition of crime-data to support racist beliefs and policy proposals.
i think you mean that the right is too dumb to handle statistics. its true unfortunately. i dont trust the left with numbers either but at least they cant do as much harm with them

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
that is also true. but before we completely reject the validity of the social sciences i think it is important to consider the consequences of abandoning the search for objective truth in favor of entrusting individual voters to find their own truth in russian state propaganda

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
i wouldnt compare economists to real scientists but i obviously trust them when they say immigration is good for a declining birth rate.

doing a cost benefit analysis of rescuing starving orphan refugees seems obvious to me as a consequentialist. its also probably pretty obvious to those with nationalist morals, ie most people. its a bit more complicated than just racism

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with people.
they use empathy to motivate behavior. makes them very easy to manipulate

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
what made denmark so lovely and how do we avoid it

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
is there an actual reason for decentralization other than that people like cars and taking up space and killing animals

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
if we all just took to the streets and punched the people with swastikas tattooed on their foreheads racism would be solved

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
you can simultaneously believe that antifa are a bunch of larping children who vastly overrate their importance and that all nazis deserve death hth

SD and the huge amount of people sympathetic to their cause is the true threat and no amount of street brawls is gonna change that.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
yeah making immigrants feel safer is a good thing but its not more important politically than giving to charity

unfortunately people like rnr are the ones who the left need to convince. people who genuinely believe the larpers are a threat to existing power structures and who would become bootlickers in the name of stability

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
why are you getting owned by the guy who doesnt know the difference between islam and islamism

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Let's take a step back and ignore the brain worms for a bit. pigdog's analogy works. The problem with organizing to punch islamists in the face (other than the fruitlessness) is that it's political suicide on the left and center. Eventually you will punch a guy who just wants muslim public holidays, or at least someone who can fool people that he just wants that. Now you are the nazi. Then you can melt down while arguing that the left and the center are a lost cause of islamist sympathizers anyway and you don't need them.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
please stop pretending fact checking the holocaust is somehow below the sophistication of political discourse or insulting to the average persons knowledge of history. there are history teachers that barely know this poo poo

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
saying 20% of swedes are racist is just meaningless virtue signaling. it might technically be that many or more but the actual problem is generic xenophobia and idealism. people can 100% believe in lockean tabula rasa poo poo but still think of culture as simply a virus passed down the generations

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Andrast posted:

That’s just semantics

thats 90% of politics

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
the incredibly inefficient nature of human communication combined with the intense bias present in political discussion means its almost all basically semantics, sorry to tell you

of course in practice this means there is no reason to try to communicate honestly instead of in a manipulative manner. but while equating cultural xenophobia with racism is good most of the time, because they are both bad, its not gonna work so well when you encounter opponents whose entire defense is that they are a classical liberal or whatever who categorically rejects racism

also this is a pretty leftist forum we dont need to propagandize

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
tbqh im just a pedant

id like to blame my countrys pending decline into fascism on lack of honest intellectual discourse, but i realize it might just as well be because we got too comfortable and decoromy to punch nazis or whatever.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Moral arguments are really easily dismissed and we can't rely on them. Just look at the shitshow that is moral philosophy. The only solution is to make people realize that Africans and Muslims are people like everyone else. People need to be taught that bad ideas and cultural practices are institutional rather than learned. People aren't really different because of their upbringing, but because of where they end up.

I believe the rejection of biological determinism is to blame for much of this, as ironic as that sounds. People went too far looking for environmental factors and started thinking the minutia of childhood experiences mattered in the creation of an individual, and therefore had a potential corrupting influence. This is part of why "you can't be racist against a religion!" is such an effective argument.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
To be fair who is the average Swede supposed to learn from about the racism of the confederate flag? Americans are not exactly a trustworthy source.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
That kind of just proves the point though. If nazis take over even people who think they would do something wouldn't. Whether that's because they are afraid of cops or because they don't want to sacrifice anything is kinda irrelevant.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Another thing I think people overlook when they think about the rise of nazism or the potential rise of some new ethno-fascist movement is how many people who condemn Nazism probably do it on a surface level. Nazis were bad because they were racist maniacs who started the biggest war in history and committed genocide. They haven't thought about the aspirations of the Nazis and how those aspirations compare to their own aspirations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I don't like being too reductive but maybe the reason conservatives causes intersect is mostly because they are conservative?