Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Scandinavian cuisine as a rule is either bland or a failed attempt at making biological weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

To be fair, we got really loving close when we invented lutefisk.

The swedes also have surströmming and bäska droppar, which I've always suspected to be a sneaky way of convincing the russians that Sweden just isn't worth conquering.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Karpaw posted:

And how they actually are:

I think you should find a better artist for your biography.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Good to know that the far-right still has its tireless defenders busy defending the concept of freedom of speech by whining as all hell when the freedoms of speech and association are exercised by people criticizing the far right.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lord Tywin posted:

You don't see how it's utterly hilarious when a book fair that's supposed to be about freedom of speech bans a newspaper from attending because leftists wants to stop them from attending?

Case in point. I know that you're probably too dumb to get it, but for anybody reading, Freedom of Speech does not mean an obligation for others to provide you with a platform for your speech.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
SD are a bunch of washed-up neo-nazis who were smart enough to swap the brownshirts for suits. Voting for them won't fix anything, and buying into the myths they're propagating won't fix anything either. The problem facing Europe today isn't a bunch of war refugees, it's that neoliberalism is busy making GBS threads the bed once again.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Nov 16, 2016

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
If the takeaway that any of you get from this is that the establishment parties have to go full racist and not that S needs to go back to an economic policy that benefits the working class, you might be a goddamn moron.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

BigglesSWE posted:

Vi måste bevara den svenska maten. Ut med kebab på pizza, in med lax!

Lax? Satans norskt fjanteri. Rovor och isterband ska det vara.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's awful convenient for the far-right how everything always seems to happen in a way that the muslim apocalypse is constantly just around the corner.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Look mate, crime exists and therefore Malmö has to be a Mad Max hellscape and it's all the fault of the goddamn foreigners. The logic is surely irrefutable.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Deceitful Penguin posted:

does it ever strike y'all as deeply loving sad that the limits of the american left seems to be to ineptly ape our societies, seeing as we actually want to make ours better?

It strikes me as deeply loving ironic that the american left seems to consider the Nordic model as the perfect end-of-history utopia when various shithead centre-right and rightwing governments in every single Nordic country have been dismantling it as fast as they can for the past thirty years.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Cardiac posted:

Sweden have had mostly social democratic governments the last 30 years.
86-91, 94-2006, 2014-2016, all in all 19 years compared to 91-94 and 2006-2014 = 11 years for the right.
And for most of the time, V have been loyal supporters to S.

I get that everybody to the left of Mussolini is a commie to you, but Göran Persson existed.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Palme och Geijer - Nixons lakejer

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Cardiac posted:

And managed to win 2 elections by appealing to the middle.
The left in S keep thinking the issue is that they lose elections and voters since they are not left enough, which history have proved to be wrong.

The expanse of the welfare state and raison d'etre of S is dependent on large increases in BnP, something that doesn't happen anymore for various geopolitical and historical reasons. The welfare state came after and was financed by the massive growth in the economy after WW2, not the other way around.

Do you even know what you're arguing about anymore or are you just hoping that nobody would notice the most unsubtle attempt to change the topic possible?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Poängen med politiska ungdomsförbund är just att ge de mest störande individerna i varje generation en massa onödigt humbug att sysselsätta sig med så att hederligt folk slipper ha med dem att göra.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
If you want an example of the far-right's actual commitment to preserving the welfare state you need only to look at Finland. Our far-right party happily went into a colaition government with the main bourgie parties and is currently all in on helping to cut everything to the bone.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
If you're not investing in dune buggies and bondage gear you're doing your post-apocalypse preparations wrong.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
If anybody thought that the traditional right wouldn't ally with the fash at some point, you've clearly not been paying attention.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Aren't C that bunch who went full lolbertarian a while ago?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Retarded Goatee posted:

http://www.expressen.se/debatt/hardare-straff-ar-ingen-losning/

The fact that this is given space in the public room makes me sick.

What is it with this false dichotomy bullshit? Meeting out harsh justice to god drat video taping gang rapists and working against norms that put women at risk are not mutually exclusive.

Did you even read beyond the headline? Because the point that this article is making is that harsher punishment doesn't serve as a deterrent if the criminals don't think that they're committing a crime, which is a perfectly reasonable conclusion.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Wild Horses posted:

well you sound like an rear end in a top hat if your knee jerk reaction is to claim the rapists did not know what they were doing. :geno:

You sound like an rear end in a top hat if your knee jerk reaction is to mindlessly dismiss informed analysis in favour of your other knee jerk reaction.

Like, the entire point is that some super lovely guys have a super lovely view of women and therefore don't see anything wrong with livestreaming rape, so you're basically raging against somebody who is basically saying that same thing as you here. The question is, how is harsher punishments reasonably going to deter someone who doesn't think what they're doing is wrong?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

McCloud posted:

You stick them in a prison cell for a long rear end time, then try to rehabilitate them by teaching them to act like human beings. That sends the message that rape is unacceptable, and that we actually consider it a serious offense, while trying to make the shitstains realise why they're being shitstains and how not to be shitstains. This isn't rocket science.

But I find it fascinating that you apparently think ignorance of the law means they should get less jail time. "Oh sorry officer, I didn't know drugging someone then raping them was a crime" is, in your view, a legitimate excuse apparently. Defending rapists is now "informed analysis"! Next up on Cerebral Bore's informed analysis: Why women who dress slutty have it coming!

Seriously, gently caress off.

Did you drop out of middle school, or are you having a stroke?

Retarded Goatee posted:

Yeah sure, might be applicable in this specific case but if you believe that all rapists are convinced they're not doing anything wrong, you're a god drat moron.

So you're super angry about an article written about a specific case making an argument pertaining to this specific case and your reason for this is that it's not applicable to the general case? OK then.

EDIT: Mainly I'm just baffled by ostensible adults who still haven't managed to grasp the distinction between normative and descriptive statements.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jan 27, 2017

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

McCloud posted:

Pretty easy to reach the conclusion, actually!

I'm pretty tired of all this hand wringing and "informed analysis" in the defense of these poor poor rapists. This isn't some gordian knot of unimaginable complexity. You break the law, you suffer the consequences. That the consequences of rape in this country are laughable is the real issue here, not the ignorance of the rapist.
Ignorance of lovely behavior is no excuse to break the law and should be punished. This is to A) Deter future shitheads who want to do the thing, or claim ignorance as an excuse to get a lighter punishment, and to B) signal that we as a society view this sort of behavior as unacceptable. Yes, future shitheads might commit the exact same crime due to their ignorance, but by punishing current shitheads now we increase the odds of future potential shitheads knowing that this is a crime, we punish this sort of stuff harshly and to not loving do it by much more than just putting them in rehab and calling it a day. Doubly so in cases with lots of media attention.

Stop defending this poo poo and stop pretending that article has any form of "informed analysis". It's bullshit through and through.

Literally nobody has defended any of this, so I suppose this all is just a case of your reading comprehention being piss-poor.

EDIT: I mean, for gently caress's sake, we're talking about some shitheads who were literally livestreaming their crime It's pretty safe to say that somebody who is just feigning ignorance about what they're doing would be dumb enough to literally provide decisive video evidence of their criminal act. Your attempted counterpoints are pure nonsense and miss the point by a country mile.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 27, 2017

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

McCloud posted:

Aight, I clearly missunderstood and built up strawmen. Mea culpa.

So humor me and explain what you did mean then, for my own clarity and benefit if nothing else.

Tha article is addressing a specific situation of some shithead fuckers raping a girl and livestreaming it. The point it's making is that super-lovely attitudes towards women in society lead to super-lovely dudes like this raping but also not think of it as a "real" rape and hence a not crime. Here we could bring up the the standard list of excuses that rapists tell themselves, but I'll omit that for the sake of brevity.

The problem it brings up is that the reaction to poo poo like this happening is generally to demand harsher sentencing to deter more poo poo like this from happening in the future. After this the article then asks a very good question about how exactly stiffer sentences are supposed to deter people who don't see the crime they're committing as a crime. This doesn't have anything to do with letting the aforementioned shithead fuckers off the hook, but is rather a descriptive statement about criminal psychology. Simply put, while ignorance of the law isn't an excuse, it's hard to see how harsh sentences will deter somebody from committing a crime they're ignorant of. Therefore it concludes that a better solution to preventing poo poo like this particular case from happening in the future than demanding harsher sentences would be to make a real effort in educate people about what rape actually is.

This shouldn't be a hard argument to grasp, and it's not saying that raping women is A-OK as long as the rapist doesn't think what they're doing is rape. It's simply arguing for taking a more effective approach towards preventing cases like this from happening in the future.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

doverhog posted:

The correct answer is to place them in a center for behavioral correction, kind of like a mental hospital, indefinitely. They will only be released once a panel of experts agree that they have truly learned and sincerely believe rape is wrong.

At this point I'm actually starting to believe that our educational system doesn't really teach our children to read.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think some people here are (for some inexplicable reason) confusing the formal political ideology called Conservatism with the general aversion to change called conservatism. All in all, it's one of the more transparent attempts at muddying the waters that I've seen in a while.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
You know, it's not entirely OK for you to go around trying to police what women choose to wear or not to wear.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

:thejoke:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Cardiac posted:

Well, they have learned from Expo, Researchgruppen and interasistmen who all had/have tight connections to the extreme left.
Another case of "it is ok if we do it".

lol. The fact that you read this, immediately jumped to a false equivalency and to top it all off apparently think the problem here is that journalists have political connections really says it all.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Svartvit posted:

Next week: KPML(r) flames the Swedish bourgoise in Pravda.

Hey, at least KPML(r) helped publish some good music back in the day, which puts them ahead of SD by a mile.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

It's quite funny how angry, defensive and irrational the Swedish establishment gets whenever someone tells the truth to the foreign press.

lol, you wouldn't know what the truth is even if your preferred propaganda outlets managed to mention it by mistake.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Look mate, clearly democracy is that the party that got 13% of the vote gets to dictate what everybody else is allowed to do, much like free speech is that the fash get to say whatever they want, but any criticism of them must be silenced.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Karpaw posted:

Having an opposition who playacts the role but doesn't bring down the government despite having the ability is more a pantomime of democracy but all is hallowed in service of Värdegrunden.

If your civics education was this bad it certainly explains why you say what you say.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Look people, obviously somebody had to tell the unvarnished Truth about the hellscape Sweden has recently devolved into, and who better to do that than some rando who moved away a couple of decades ago?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Wild Horses posted:

NATO is the best thing since sliced bread. Strongmen like Erdogan and Putin would just roll their neighbors without it.

You do realize that Erdogan is leading a country that's in NATO, right?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The difference is that Ukraine has a long, porous border with Russia which makes it easy for them to intervene and Russia also has enough local support in the eastern parts to set up puppet regimes in order to maintain at least some kind of deniability. Neither of these factors is present in Norway. The geography means that they'd have to invade and resupply by sea and/or air, and any invasion has to be done openly. For these reasons it's hard to see Norway as a likely target.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Wild Horses posted:

Sweden's rap sheet in defense pacts is kinda bad.
Looking specifically at Sweden bailing on finland totally in the winter war

Could you kindly explain how it's possible to bail on a pact that didn't actually exist?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
poo poo, and here I thought that Finland's little brother complex towards Sweden was bad.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Biomute posted:

Russia has cold weather too. Most estimates of how long we could hold out against Russia I've seen are measured in hours. If we had warning of the invasion, and managed to send our forces there it would still be a fighting retreat in an effort to buy our NATO allies time. There is no scenario where Norway holds off an invasion on its own, even if we are quite good at blocking and mining our mountain roads / loving with the signs or whatever.

How is Russia going to resupply its invasion force, given that the Russian blue-water navy consists of a baby carrier and a couple of vintage cruisers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Heinz Hynkel posted:

You need open jobs for that. We simply cannot employ more people in the public sector and we don't have the private industry that Sweden has. So where are these magic jobs?

Now here's a free tip for you, the problem here isn't immigrants, it's lovely-rear end neoliberal governments who keep pushing an utterly failed economic model because this benefits their owners.