Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I've eaten a lot of chickpeas recently because they're cheap and extremely low effort, and I'm whiter than the snow outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
if a workplace wanted me to wear something more high class than jeans and tshirt, I'd tell them to gently caress off and get another job.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
In Luleå, it's shorts weather for about 36 hours in July.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

Ties are for weddings, funerals and maybe if you get invited to the Nobel dinner.

I've been to two weddings and two funerals and I've never worn a tie in my life.
To one of the funerals I didn't even wear a suit, just a black shirt.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Hel posted:

Making friends with swedes is pretty easy, you either : go to school with them for a decade, work with them for a decade, do the same hobby together for a decade, or be some kind of freak that just starts talking to people when you are waiting in line or something.

If a stranger talks to me in public, I'm not gonna be their friend, I'm gonna look at them like they're an alien before getting my phone out pretending I just got a text or something.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Burn a copy of the US declaration of independence/constitution outside the american embassy.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Birds are real.

Real spy drones.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Hail Satan.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Time to apply for a job at McDonald's and just not show up. When they fire me they have to give me 6 months worth of wages. Those are the rules, at all workplaces.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

watho posted:

i mean if you'd ask me if i'd rather chose that counting system or -35°C winters i'd probably pick the former but here we are living with the consequences of our existences

My earlobes are frostbitten as I'm writing this post, and I still think I'd rather have the winters.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Never heard the term myself but it sounds like "pro-cop TOUGH ON CRIME shitlib".

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
"Leader of the conservative party in a scandinavian country" is really all you need to know to understand that yes, he deserved to suddenly drop dead at 52.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I've had mead exactly once and it just tasted like watered down honey with a dash of vodka.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Rappaport posted:

America did have its fair share of precious bodily fluid enthusiasts, just look at what Lovecraft wrote about the cosmic European horrors invading purified pristine New England!

Non-euclidean skull shapes

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

THE BAR posted:

The guy just loved to craft.

And calling anything you didn't like swarthy was just the style of the time, ain't that right Tolkien?

Tolkien was definitely "style of the time" racist, but lovecraft somehow managed to be "too racist for 1920".

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Sweden is an entire country of "I'm not racist, but" types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

quote:

The Swedish institute apologized, but the skulls remained: Finland demands to give back
Skulls were looted from Finnish graves for racial studies.
Finland has on several occasions demanded to get the looted skulls of the Finnish dead back from Sweden.

Finland again demands Sweden to return the skulls looted from Finnish graves in the 19th century, which are kept in the Karolinska Institute.

According to Sveriges Radio Finska, Finland has submitted an official request. Finland has demanded to get skulls back several times before.

Iltalehti has reported on the matter in 2018 and 2019, for example, when the Karolinska Institute received a petition to process the matter, which was signed by, among others, university researchers working in Sweden and Finland and the vicar of Pälkänee, which was the target of grave robberies.

- The matter has come to the attention of the ministry, and it is currently being investigated at official level, the then Minister of Education Sanni Grahn-Laasonen (kok) commented on the matter to Iltalehte in March 2019.
Also read
Controversy over human skulls looted from Finland: The Ministry began to investigate the return

In 2019, the Karolinska Institute apologized for looting graves of Finnish skulls, but the return of the skulls has not progressed. The vicars of Pälkäne and Rautalammi have announced that the skulls will be buried in an appropriate manner after they are recovered and identified.

In 2023, the Swedish Ministry of Foreign Affairs informed Helsingin Sanomat that the goal is to return the skulls "in a legally safe and respectful manner as soon as possible."

It is about 80 skulls that were looted from graves located in Pälkäne, Rautalami and Pielavede in 1873. The skulls were taken to be examined by Swedish race researchers, as Finns were not considered a European race at that time.

The skulls looted from Finnish graves originate from the studies of Professor Gustaf Retzius (1842–1919), the father of Swedish race theory, with which he wanted to show that the long-skulled Swedes had a different origin than the short-skulled Finns and Sámi.

According to Retzius, the short-headed Finns - as well as the Sami - were mostly related to the Mongols, while the tall-headed Swedes were a pure northern Germanic race.

In what loving universe does it take 6+ years to drive from sweden to finland?

(Assuming 2018 was even the first time they asked)

(Ignoring how people working at KI knew about the skulls for 150 years and just chose not to return them)