Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell
Dumb American here, how is it that such a frail coalition is sufficient to get supply here? I also don't really get how a similar setup got through in 2018, is minority government just accepted as normal for some reason now? It seems like something would have to give either in terms of parties being willing to compromise for enough yes votes to get a bare majority or else parties would need to realign and/or get absorbed in the long run, is this kind of gridlock a recent development?

Edit: I'm assuming based on context clues that M and S are about as far apart as Democrats and business Republicans in the US, so those blocks can never cross over, and then SD is the Trump/racist Republican equivalent, so I guess my question is why the minority coalition thinks the optics of not officially including SD in their coalition is preferable - like, it seems like it is just Kabuki theatre and won't convince anyone

BougieBitch fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

jeebus bob posted:

It's called negative parliamentarism. Basically as long as the number of MP's who *actively oppose* the governement is less than half, they can continue in power.

Right, but you still need an actual majority to pass legislation, so having a paper coalition is irrelevant - if you can't pass anything why bother - and it seems like the actual agenda is just going to be the same as if SD was officially part of the government so why waste a month trying to build a different coalition just to end up with something even weaker on paper

Edit: I guess the other part is presumably M would suffer if a coalition couldn't be formed and everyone went back to the polls, just not clear why SD wouldn't be fine with that option either

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

lilljonas posted:

To become a government you don’t need 51% of the seats, you need 51% of the riksdag to vote for you to form the government. So M has promised enought parties to either get ministerial posts (and be part of the government) or policy goals (like SD) in exchange of votes. Minority governments are pretty common in Sweden, the last governments were also minority governments, but by S as the main player.

Ah, I think the ministerial posts were the part I was missing, assuming those have active power to shape policy in the same way that presidential appointments do in the US