Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018
Strictly speaking Seymour Hersh has been working for proganda machines that are anti-American, anti-Western liberal democracy ever since he wrote about the My Lai massacre by virtue of such reporting being picked up by North Vietnam, USSR, etc. In that sense dismissing reporting that harms our side as being the same as helping the enemy and therefore should be ignored as false is wrong.

It's more than enough criticism for Hersh's article in my opinion that he relies on one anonymous source in this and whenever an article relying on an anonymous source in some Western intelligence agency etc might say something about our enemies being up to no good it will be, and hopefully has been in the past, similarly dismissed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

Nenonen posted:

My Lai is irrelevant to what he has been up to in the past decade. He defended Assad's chemical warfare against Syrian people. Bashar al Assad of course is one of Putin's closest allies, but it's probably not related to him now spreading Russian propaganda.

He said Assad did it and the victims deserved it?

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

A Buttery Pastry posted:

No. That the states were turned into nation states does not somehow confer a national character backwards in history.

I dunno. It's definitely true that it's an often made mistake to project modern nationalism onto the past where such sentiment didn't yet exist, but on the other hand the nationalism was built on things that already existed. Nationalism as a phenomenon in 1800s Europe is historically often referred to as an 'awakening', meaning it is recognising things that are in common to a population that should be the basis for a political entity. As such I don't think there's a clean break between the political entities before nationalism and after, it's more like a political development and a process that's probably still going on.

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

A Buttery Pastry posted:

But Denmark only controlled Norway for the first decade or so of the 19th century. This period of national awakening largely happened while Norway was controlled by the Swedish state, and appears to then have been projected back into the past in the emerging national conscious. Not that this projection is unique to Norway. Like, it hardly makes sense to think of Danish rule over Norway as Danish national rule, when the courtly language was French and the language of commerce was German. As I mentioned earlier, the first real inkling of a proto-awakening in Denmark is the Struensee debacle, and the outcome of that was not nationalism, but patriotism: Struensee wasn't seen as bad because he was German, but because he came from outside the territories of the Danish empire. That's only about 40 years before Denmark and Norway parted ways.

It was more of a commetn about nationalism(s) in general, I'm definitely not equipped to get in to the weeds about any particular nationalism. In as much as nationalism of any particular kind is a continuation, formalisation etc, of an identity, language, culture, region etc, a big exception I'd say is the Greek one where they skipped the thousand years of Roman identity and went back to Hellenism.

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018
I maybe wrong, but from what I know Sweden wanted to make Norway part of Sweden, but Bernadotte opted rather to become king of Norway and make it a personal union. Similarly, earlier, the Swedish elites hoped that Bernadotte would be revanchist regarding Finland when Napoleon was about to invade Russia but surprising (disappointing) everyone he wasn't and became an opponent of Napoleon. Seems to me like he was a shrewd politician.