Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Nenonen posted:

Everyone seems to love abbreviations. What's SAAB, ABB, IKEA..? ABLOY is the most ridiculous one, all it stands for is Aktionbolaget Lås/Lukko Osakeyhtiö so two fifths of the name is redundant already. I think I prefer syllable combo names, like Valmet (Valtion Metallitehtaat) or Kemira (Kemikaalit-Mineraalit-Ravinteet or chemicals, minerals, nutrients).

Where I grew up, there used to be a hardware store called FA TA MA LA

FArve
TApet
MAling
LAk

(colour, wallpaper, paint, lacquer/varnish)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

THE BAR posted:

Then don't abbreviate your stuff, or name it something compatible then. My brain disease is spazzing out whenever I stumble upon disgressions like these.

I take it you've never had to navigate the French miasma of bureaucracy and acronyms, which has this stunning example:

The road signs showing the way to the train station often just say "SNCF" and nothing else. No little picture of a train to make it international / accessible, just those four letters and if you don't know what they stand for, gently caress you, I guess.

jeebus bob fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Nov 6, 2020

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

lilljonas posted:

Do you consider Lund university's law faculty "government affiliated legal scholars"? That sounds dangerously close to conspiracy theories to me.

Consultancy institutions (both public and private) performing paid research for government agencies are often accused of reaching politically expedient conclusions - and with good reason.

This is not tinfoil hat poo poo, I've seen it happen.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
The Danish right wing has been in tatters since the last election (and even quite a while before that), let's see what their largest think tank has to offer as a collective focus to get them out of the current situation:
https://twitter.com/CEPOS/status/1346075357867364352

I'm assuming this is intended for after the pandemic is over...

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Yeeeeah that's just par for the (dis)course in our national debate. There will be no consequences for it beyond an upward bump in the polls for DF. More so if anyone calls him on it.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Messerschmidt got the last laugh though
https://www.information.dk/kultur/l...i-koebenhavneri

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

THE BAR posted:

I, uh, do hope that's a doll.

It was, but that just takes it from "gruesome" to "horrifying".

They burned an effigy of the statsminister because they want to be free to ignore public health concerns.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
The only good milk chocolate is Marabou with Daim. Fight me.

fake edit:

åbn'n

(Monrad og Rislund ftw)

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Winklebottom posted:

always and forever

emptyquote

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I've met exactly one kind of person who would claim that Scandinavia is not particularly racist.

It's called the average Dane

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
A good friend of mine has always had an ultra-libertarian laissez-faire approach to absolutely everything. Member of Venstres Ungdom and all that back ine 90s/00s.
But at the same time he's a physicist and can understand the math behind climate change so lately he's in the unique position of trying to decide whether to vote for Enhedslisten or Liberal Alliance.

It's fascinating to observe from the outside.

Also he was an early adopter of Bitcoin and now SKAT is bending him over a barrel for "speculation" in something he initially acquired as a joke back when one bitcoin might pay for half a restaurant meal if you could get a buddy to pick up the tab and accept digital monopoly money as payment. I feel bad for him but I can't deny there's an element of schadenfreude after all those years of having to listen to him extol the virtues of cryptocurrency...

jeebus bob fucked around with this message at 09:24 on May 5, 2021

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
One centre-left government period without representation and Radikale are thinking about switching sides. Big loving surpise.

I am slightly puzzled that they're talking to LA instead of the conservatives, since LA are hovering around the threshold for representation in most polls.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

SplitSoul posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhh

Don't be an rear end, we all know what the deal is. If we have to qualify all our references instead of using the most convenient shorthand to describe something, every post ITT would be a wall of text.

But just to satisfy your barely verbalized demand for a shibboleth: Socialdemokraterne are a bunch of racist neoliberals that take the support of the working class voters for granted and will say or do anything to retain power. Their elected leadership hasn't been anywhere near leftwing since at least the 70's, with maybe a few (partial) exceptions.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Star posted:

I am quite happy that C's hubris of wanting to be part of the regering while at the same time refusing to acknowledge that they're only able to push their politics through with the passive acceptance of V finally bit them in the rear end. All of this could have been avoided if C had decided to face reality, rather than stay in their neoliberal fantasy world.

If only Ø had had the courage to do the same in instead of letting B pressure Thorning-Schmidt into <doing what she probably would've done anyway>

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Löfven is really going to make us wait for the governement to "evaluate their options" insted of sacking up and stepping down. How does he imagine this could gain them an advantage?

Never mind the fact that they must've gamed this out in advance and should already have a plan in place.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Cardiac posted:

So sorry V voters, but you are utterly dependent on C for any form of left leaning politics.

What everyone - especially C voters - seems to be forgetting is that they are equally dependent on V for any form of coalition that doesn't include SD.

Barring the possibility of a cross-center grand coalition, which reeks of desperation and typically means death for the minor partner(s).

Substitute C, V and SD for B, Ø and DF at your convenience :v:

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

I don't understand the implications of the bottom right picture. It looks like fika without coffee, and maybe two people are sharing a plate?

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

BigglesSWE posted:

https://twitter.com/vpressfeldt/status/1412605077139906562?s=21

Great journalistic integrity at work when the people who get questioned about their racism get assurance at the same time that surely they’re not racist.

OK seriously now, someone who went to journalism school explain this strategy to me. I assume there's a tried and tested reason for never ever confronting people head on when they or their group say stuff like this but, like, why does noone ever break from that principle? Maybe someone old and established who knows they wont't starve even if they torpedo their career by asking the questions we all want to hear?

I genuinely think it wouldn't have gotten to this point if journalists had been less careful about pointed (and to an extent biased) questions.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
But that was years ago. You can't trust a set of experiences and conclusions based on those experiences if they come from another time than the immediate present, or - God forbid - another country!

That's just not the Danish way.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

endocriminologist posted:

Congratulations Norway on not following our trend! Is there anywhere I can see results from specific municipalities and such?

If you can trust wikipedia it has pretty detailed results already:
https://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stortingsvalget_2021

Interesting to note that Oslo is more right-leaning than the country.
I always assumed (and have generally seen it confirmed) that most big cities, especially capital cities, would always be more left-leaning than their respective countries so I'd like to hear from some locals why that isn't the case here.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Is "pro-migration" really the most relevant and succinct way to describe him? That editorial choice seems blatantly biased.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Beeswax posted:

This is Sweden right now

And Denmark

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Am I reading that wrong or is he saying that he has already been cleared of all charges? Has he?

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Scuttle_SE posted:

I don't even know what that's supposed to mean...

That's fair, as references go that one is the type that you would have to be extremely online to get. But you don't have to be extremely online to know that your first post in a thread that's been active for several years probably shouldn't be a snarky attempt to defend a reviled public figure against credible accusations of grooming.

I don't mean to get all regdate-snobbish here, but I'm surprised someone who's been on these forums for over 25 years doesn't know how to lurk before posting.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

TheRat posted:

The new munch museum is one of the ugliest buildings I've ever seen, and on top of that they managed to make an art museum that's supposed to look warm and inviting look like a sterile airport terminal on the inside. What in the world happened there?

E: Like, it literally looks like an airport terminal

Are there any pictures from the actual exhibition rooms or is photography not allowed in there?

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

BonHair posted:

Which kinda reminds me, I'm looking forward to DF melting down over failing at local elections. Hopefully we get at least 3 new racist parties to split the vote, and possibly a pro-welfare populist party even?
Or I guess just Martin Henriksen in charge, or Messerschmidt.

Messerschmidt is going to lose his case and be (technically) unable to lead anything while he is (temporarily) ineligible to run for office. The next leader of DF is going to be Støjberg who is going to get away with a suspended sentence in her trial and will get to keep her eligibility because of some ridiculous ratfuckery.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Basically all the US red state tropes, good and bad, with some extra miserly attitudes.

They also seem to take pride in most of those which tends to elicit some grudging (or even resentful) respect

jeebus bob fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 14, 2021

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I’m a weird far traveller who comes from all over, so I can laugh at all the stereotypes as well. Once in a while I’m surprised by someone who takes real serious offence at something, and who also think other stereotypes are totally correct, and I’m really weirded out.

There only a couple of really true ones. 1) Næstved area has by far the most awful sounding accent of the entire country. 2) people from Herning are the worst.

I'm so thoroughly from Copenhagen that I'm not entirely sure which part of the country those two places are in.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

TheFluff posted:

Coincidentally, renewing your national ID card at the police station costs 400SEK and it's only valid for five years these days. I guess the driver's license might be a cheaper.

Really? A license costs like 12 thousand in Denmark, what do you guys pay?

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
I don't remember how much I ended up paying (20ish years ago), but probably half of it was extra lessons and failed practical exams.

I was and am an excellent driver, but at the time my adhd was neither diagnosed or even suspected and the whole thing was a massive struggle.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

BonHair posted:

I just listened to orientering på P1 from yesterday, and what I got is that basically no one knows what's actually going on, but they seem to like it to recent leaks to the press. I don't know if it's the real reason, but it also makes some sense.

leaks of what though?

I can't readily think of anything it could be unless the leaks themselves were never published, just news of them happening?

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
The weirdest thing about the Claus Hjort mess is how quickly and forecefully the right wing papers started pushing the narrative that if (or in their words: when) he is found not guilty, the mere fact that he was charged will reflect so poorly on the government - which to the best of my knowledge can not and did not instruct the judiciary to charge anyone with anything - that they will have to resign.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

evil_bunnY posted:

All the loving kids are getting omicron'ed it's really awesome. No you can't get them vaccinated. Because Reasons.

Wait for real? omg

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Somebody please elaborate on that convicted triple murderer thing

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Politics aside, what are the ballistic effects of putting food-grade animal fat on bullets?

And does it gently caress up the gun at all?

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

I hope this makes headlines across the world but I'm not expecting much

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Like the flu it's still potentially very dangerous for people who are already in bad health and/or can't be vaccinated for whatever reason but the authorities at this point have just gone "welp" and that sucks but I can understand the big picture reasons for why they did it.

I'm just lucky that I am unlikely to suffer any long term consequences when/if I get it.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Even SD seem to be in favor of joining now so where are those voters going to go?

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
The youth wing of the Danish conservatives (briefly) held the position that membership of LGBT+ Denmark was grounds for exclusion.

They've done a complete 180 since this morning, and no one from either the main party org or the youth wing itself has any comments.

Not that it makes a difference but in case anyone didn't know, the leader of the party came out as gay in 2014, shortly before being elected.

in short: lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Oh for sure, and the original statement from conservative youth made it clear that the decision was about opposing the leftist stance of another org, but it did not make it clear that it WASN'T also about lgbtq issues in general. Just piss poor communication and optics, even considering it's a youth-led group.