Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Tony Montana posted:

I think I've gotten through to my partners 14 year old son. He was all about photography and he's quite good, I like it too. But he said something the other day 'yeah photography is cool, but I can do that as a hobby. I want to earn coin when I finish. I'm thinking maybe commerce?'.

When I was 19, I told my uncle that I wanted to get into video game development. He told me that was dumb and should instead go into something reliable like IT, because "most people don't make it."

I spent four years in IT wavering between depressed to borderline suicidal before I tossed everything I was taught the last 24 years and went after video game development. I now work in video game development, an extremely happy and make enough money to have a decent 401k, even though it's not "thousands per month".

The advice you give is awful and while you are clearly OK with taking whatever job makes the most financial sense, I would rather love my job and be comfortable instead of loathe going to work and be loaded.

The message you should be sharing is, "do what you want, but be ready to work very hard for it and have a backup plan", not "gently caress your dreams spoiled millennial, go into commerce! That's where the money is!"

Anyway, the important take away here is that your advice is bad and you probably shouldn't enforce your values on others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Any advice that includes any of the following words: 'generation', 'millennials', 'participation trophy' 'spoilt' or 'in my day' is not worth listening to.
Everybody has different circumstances, everybody has different values, so eat as much advice as you can then let your gut decide.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Pretty sure my result of having enough money to buy a decent house less than four years after failing out of college is basically just because I'm living the life of a get-rich-quick infomercial sponsored by the US Air Force.

Never mind the hundreds of asterisks and miles of small-print and disclaimers and various levels of fuckery and shittiness.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Friar Zucchini posted:

Pretty sure my result of having enough money to buy a decent house less than four years after failing out of college is basically just because I'm living the life of a get-rich-quick infomercial sponsored by the US Air Force.

Never mind the hundreds of asterisks and miles of small-print and disclaimers and various levels of fuckery and shittiness.

Well. BAH helps.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Schiavona posted:

The trolling was pretty good but this was a little too far

He should play a brit instead, aussies are the least of the english speaking world and who takes them seriously.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
So last year I picked up all my poo poo and said "gently caress it I'm moving to a big city" so I did, and realized "holy gently caress I am going to run out of money really fast and $10/hr won't cut it" so I interviewed every single day and now I make a lot of money and live comfortably.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Repeating what another poster wrote, it's managing expectations.

It's okay to peruse a liberal arts degree and you should follow your dreams however be aware you probably won't get far with just a bachelors. Hell, even if you manage to get your PhD don't expect wealth, fame or even employment but turn back the clock a few decades this wasn't necessarily the case. You could work a bookstore, clerk or what have you and still get by but that's as true as it was which I think many baby-boomers have failed to understand.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 5, 2016

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

A lot of it is geographical too. I was born and raised in the Midwest from a firmly middle-class family. I went to college on my own dime because my parents couldn't help me, taking out student loans, getting a few scholarships, and working 40 hours a week as an assistant manager at a grocery store making $8-11 an hour throughout the 3 years I was working there. That kind of money was definitely enough for me to live as a broke college student, paying my bills and having enough to buy some beer on the weekend. If I was trying to do the same thing in say, L.A. or New York, I probably couldn't have survived.

What I'm saying is that it's not a bad idea to move somewhere which a cheap cost of living after college to get some work experience. Yeah it mostly sucks living in Nebraska or Minnesota or whatever, but if you can find a job in your field and save some money it can be a great way to get some work experience. After a few years you can have a car paid off and some money in the bank, then you can start looking for that dream job in Portland or San Francisco or wherever it is people really want to go these days.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Only took one gibbering retard to derail the entire thread, must be a Generation Y thing

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

When I was 19, I told my uncle that I wanted to get into video game development. He told me that was dumb and should instead go into something reliable like IT, because "most people don't make it."

I spent four years in IT wavering between depressed to borderline suicidal before I tossed everything I was taught the last 24 years and went after video game development. I now work in video game development, an extremely happy and make enough money to have a decent 401k, even though it's not "thousands per month".

The advice you give is awful and while you are clearly OK with taking whatever job makes the most financial sense, I would rather love my job and be comfortable instead of loathe going to work and be loaded.

The message you should be sharing is, "do what you want, but be ready to work very hard for it and have a backup plan", not "gently caress your dreams spoiled millennial, go into commerce! That's where the money is!"

Anyway, the important take away here is that your advice is bad and you probably shouldn't enforce your values on others.

I'm interested, how did you make the change from IT to Game Development? Did you go back to school? Were you programming on your spare time?

I'm at the point where I make a decent living. I graduated school in 2008 with a degree that I wasn't all interested in. While the degree required more schooling, I decided to branch elsewhere to learn the true value of a dollar and share the similar feelings that my friends and most people in my city were feeling. I worked as a bank teller for about a year and hated it. I decided that I would move out of state to learn how to pay bills. I got a position at a big bank and work in a call center environment. I moved out of my parent's basement and living with relatives still (I'm moving on up!). But even though I'm making double what I made as a teller, my job is so soul crushing and upper management makes it harder than it should be.

I read an article about the "Quarter Life Crisis" that a lot of "millennials" are going through these days and I really hope I don't make a mistake regret with a potential career change. But then again, I don't want to be complacent with this new job. My advice to anyone who is living in their parent's basement is to find any job, save money, and when things seem like its feeling worse, make a change. Life isn't a race and always be hungry for more. I know it might now mean a lot now, but at least you are getting out of rock bottom.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

I'm kind of interested in hearing more about the video game development thing too. Especially since I'm majoring in computer science.

One question I had was do you actually like it? Or at least do you like it as much as you thought you would or as much as you did when you first started? What I mean is, I love movies, but having worked in movie theaters soured my experience with movies a bit. I remember in high school all my friends were talking about going into game development and I remembered my theater experience and avoided that career path. It occurred to me that liking video games wouldn't necessarily equate to enjoying the monotony of testing the same level over and over again or any of the other various behind the scenes things game developers do. It seems common that people don't really want to see behind the curtain especially when it comes to their entertainment. Also I heard game developers are worked like dogs and get paid relatively lovely, but I don't know how true that is.

What is your experience?

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

It's important to note that your success in getting into game development was probably helped along greatly by having a good chunk or work experience in a related field. There are a huge amount of fresh-out-of-school applicants who expect to get their dream job with little experience. The thing is, they're untested and might change their mind when they actually have to turn their "passion" into "work. Slap 3-5 years of work experience on that same person, and you have someone with MUCH greater potential to be a good team member. So, telling someone to get a "practical" degree, and put some time in at a sure-fire, lucrative job while planning on attempting a transition into their "dream job" is a great idea. Not only do you get that experience and pay that make a transition to a hard-to-get and maybe lower paying dream job, but you also are strengthening your backup plan in the meantime.

When I started out (2007 college grad), my "passion" was to get into a research/professorship position in geology. However, during my undergrad I realized that a life in academia wasn't for me, as it involved a huge time investment, a saturated job market, and nearly as much if not more political jockeying as actual science/teaching. Instead, I jumped into a "soulless" position in environmental consulting. I spent 8 years getting underpaid and overworked, being depressed, and trying to get out. However, in the same time, I was able to help my wife transition from bleak prospects after leaving college with only an art degree and a catering gig. She went back to school for a certificate in something practical, and eventually (after her fair share of "soulless jobs") ended up in a professional setting, working a decent job for a non-profit that helps people. When that was set, I quit my horrible job, took some time to network, work on hobbies, and volunteer, and now have a position that works in watershed management and soil conservation. But the reason I was able to get that position was that I also had years of in-field experience, a number of projects under my belt, and enough of a financial cushion to leave my old job.

I hate to use a Mike Rowe quote, but he was on to something when he said "don't follow your passion, but always bring it with you". You need to eat, and working in a tough, lovely job can also give you a bunch of skills, both personal and technical, that will absolutely translate into the job you want in the long run.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Pistol Packin Poet posted:

I read an article about the "Quarter Life Crisis" that a lot of "millennials" are going through these days and I really hope I don't make a mistake regret with a potential career change.
I read this book in 2000 or so, and while it didn't help with any concrete suggestions, it did make me feel better that I wasn't alone in my frustration. Namely that from age 5-18 you are shepherded from grade to grade, onto college where you're shepherded along again for another 4-6 years, college "career placement" eventually gets you a job, and after 1-2 years of that there is an overwhelming "what's next" feeling, because you've never made a directional decision for yourself.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

photomikey posted:

college "career placement" eventually gets you a job, and after 1-2 years of that

Wait, when was this supposed to happen? I went to a CSU and they didn't help me with poo poo. Did I miss a step or something?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

LogisticEarth posted:

I realized that a life in academia wasn't for me, as it involved a huge time investment, a saturated job market, and nearly as much if not more political jockeying as actual science/teaching.

This is the same conclusion I came to with my dream of being a science fiction writer except instead political jockeying turning me off it was the realization that you end up doing more marketing and personal sales than actual writing. You basically have to be your own personal shill. I'm kind of an introvert, I wanted to write a book and let the publishing house do the job of selling it. These days it seems like authors have to be Tony Robbins. It's the equivalent of being that guy standing outside in the parking lot trying to sell your new rap CD to people walking back to their car.

The other thing I found during my research was that being a good writer is like one of the lowest metrics for whether or not you're successful. There's tons of people who are better writers than the Twilight/Hunger Games/Divergent authors who will never be known basically because they didn't luck into some sleep deprived intern passing out on their manuscript before throwing it back on the slush pile.

Come to think of it I might start a A/Tell about being a writer thread, just to hear from goons who are successful at it and confirm/deny my above conclusions.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 6, 2016

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
You got be lucky or all your efforts will be for nothing. No one can control their luck.
But we can control how hard we work to exploit whatever chanches life throws at us. We can all use our intellect and gut Instincts to determine which life path is most productive.
So luck is absolutely necessary, but it is not enough. Furthermore we can all adjust our desires to the world we live in. The Earth is dying, and i do not have much hope for human civilization beyond this century. Perhaps it will start to unravel in my own lifetime. To have a few good decades with a full belly, a moderate measure of comfort, plenty of wine and entertaining distractions is not such bad life ambition in ligth of this.

I assumed i would enjoy working with legal matters and it seemed like relativly marketable skill. Well it was hard to get a relevant job but i did in the end. I applied everywhere for every possible job offer.
Plus i did some really poo poo jobs just to sustain myself while living with my folks. Now i have a job that is honestly very easy and extremely well paid for the effort ( but really just average inn absolute terms). Yes my problem With work is that i have too little to do and requires too little effort. This is the very definition of a luxury problem. Have i any rigth to want more?

I am content with my small rented flat. I have come to tolerate living far away from all relatives and friends, in truth i never needed them that much emotionally.
As long as i have a PC, internet and alcohol in the weekends i will never be bored. With my job i shall be able to maintain this lifestyle and improve upon it later by buying a apartment

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The harder you work, the luckier you'll get.

Opportunities are so often about being in the right place at the right time, being there when something happened that you knew how to exploit.

But you gotta be there first.

More things you line up in your favor (experience, education) the easier you make it for the chips to fall your way. Keep going and eventually it's hard to understand why some people seem to struggle so much, because you've forgotten about all the work you did as it's far in the past and you're focused on your current goals.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Baudolino posted:

You got be lucky or all your efforts will be for nothing. No one can control their luck.
At the risk of sounding like a bumper sticker, "Luck is the intersection of opportunity and preparation."

There is dumb luck, like winning the lottery or finding a $20 bill on the street. Then there is the luck that you are talking about. The luck that Jimmy credits for Johnny's success. Truth is, even if Johnny was "lucky" enough to meet Mr Smith, the CEO of the local Widget factory who offered him a job, Johnny was probably prepared enough to talk intelligently to Mr Smith about the skills he had acquired over his lifetime. He was prepared to capitalize on the opportunity of meeting Mr Smith.

I know it's taking the thread on another tangent, but this article from 2014 may be relevant to the thread.

https://hbr.org/2014/08/employers-arent-just-whining-the-skills-gap-is-real/

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on

Baudolino posted:

The Earth is dying, and i do not have much hope for human civilization beyond this century. Perhaps it will start to unravel in my own lifetime.

Yes my problem With work is that i have too little to do and requires too little effort. This is the very definition of a luxury problem. Have i any rigth to want more?

I am content with my small rented flat. I have come to tolerate living far away from all relatives and friends, in truth i never needed them that much emotionally.
As long as i have a PC, internet and alcohol in the weekends i will never be bored. With my job i shall be able to maintain this lifestyle and improve upon it later by buying a apartment
FYI, you sound depressed as gently caress.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
The key to success as a millennial is a good psychiatric medication cocktail, having a big dick and knowing how to use it.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dropped out of community college (actually, got kicked out), have no degree and about $10k in college loans debt (almost 10 years later). it sucks. i make $16 a hour and that's seen as a decent pay for my location but i dont have any idea how anyone can manage to live on their own and not make atleast $23 a hour or something like that. just with debt and gas alone i use up most of my pay checks.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
What kinds of new problems do you guys feel like young people face today that may not have been around in previous years?

I have a few friends who struggle with addiction problems of various sorts to varying degrees. Interestingly enough even though I know plenty of people into drinking and drugs, none of them are really struggling with massive life ruining addiction from those particular things. On the other hand I know a few people who struggle with much newer issues like Online Game/Internet addiction. It's fascinating just how subtly technology has crept its way into our lives and massively altered our behavior. I wonder if the rise in extreme sedentary couch potato lifestyle is primarily tech driven, particularly as a result of the Internet.

Reminds of this crazy pro-read article I read some years back.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
I guess I'm a 'goon' because I'm posting here after all, but my 'goonish nerd' period ended when I went to college. I supposed I kind of just slid into my current status by circumstance and inevitability. When I went to college I wanted to become a journalist, but after two years I/my parents couldn't afford the tuition so I took a couple years off and worked as an apprentice tile-setter. you know, ceramic, natural stone, vinyl, that kind of poo poo. I did well at that job, but it wasn't really for me. My family has had a farm that has been in the family for several generations. It used to belong to my great-uncle. He died several years ago and it passed to my branch of the family. My dad got cancer around the same time and had to retire from his job (physical therapist), so I ended up with the farm....I had nothing else warming up in the bullpen, and farming seemed interesting, I had worked on the farm off and on throughout my childhood and teenage years, so I had some familiarity with it, so why not?

Since then I have extensively refurbished and revamped this farm, and we turn a decent profit. The work is very hard and often frustrating. I do a good job at it though I say it myself, but it really is not satisfying to me. I'm actually quite the malcontent and have a budding functional alcoholism. I have no real idea what I want to do or what my calling is and will probably end up drinking myself to death and the cops will confirm I'm dead when they find my teeth and fingernails after my pigs poo poo them out (because they ate my corpse).

But yeah, it keeps a roof over my head and booze in my glass. Also, my parents live with me, not the other way around, because they can't live on their own and I'm never loving putting them in a nursing home, ever, and I certainly have enough room in my house to spare.

Zippy the Bummer fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 8, 2016

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

-Blackadder- posted:

What kinds of new problems do you guys feel like young people face today that may not have been around in previous years?

I have a few friends who struggle with addiction problems of various sorts to varying degrees. Interestingly enough even though I know plenty of people into drinking and drugs, none of them are really struggling with massive life ruining addiction from those particular things. On the other hand I know a few people who struggle with much newer issues like Online Game/Internet addiction. It's fascinating just how subtly technology has crept its way into our lives and massively altered our behavior. I wonder if the rise in extreme sedentary couch potato lifestyle is primarily tech driven, particularly as a result of the Internet.

Reminds of this crazy pro-read article I read some years back.

I just feel like it's a different world compared to 20 / 30 years ago and as things got bigger / people got richer the bottom line didn't adapt and now it's screwing over anyone who couldn't afford to go to college / wasn't smart enough to know that the rest of your life and finances etc where to be judged by how well you did in high school. But that's not a new problem and has existed since the beggining of time

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
What? High school success is only relevant when you're applying for college. And even then you can be a huge successful person who went to poo poo University or be a total failure despite going to Harvard.

No one gives a gently caress that I had a 4.5 GPA and 35 ACT and also I'm a total goony failure.

On the other hand I've learned a ton of stuff from reading these forums so it's not all bad being a goon :/

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jul 8, 2016

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's the point though you had to perform well in high school to get into a college. If I tried to go to a four year now even 12 years later they still want a high school transcript which is poo poo.

That's the only real difference between generations is that it was way easier to make something of yourself,even in poo poo work, without a degree. But that's not a millennial s problem that's a generation X problem also

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
If you graduated high school, and even if you didn't, you can go to a community college even if you had a 0.0 GPA. If you can get better grades at a community college, you can use that to transfer into a 4-year school. This might not get you into Harvard, but whatever state you live in it'd get you into the "University of (your state here)".

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

-Blackadder- posted:

Our parents could pay for college tuition with a few hours at a part time job at minimum wage because it was cheap as gently caress. Even the Gen Xers could escape with minimal loans.

Tuition costs have completely exploded in the past decade. Wages haven't seen any real growth since the 70s despite productivity massively increasing due to technology. So now you have a generation saddled with debt making barely enough to live on and the Boomers are going "Why aren't you young people moving out, getting married and buying houses?"

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Thin Privilege posted:

What? High school success is only relevant when you're applying for college. And even then you can be a huge successful person who went to poo poo University or be a total failure despite going to Harvard.

No one gives a gently caress that I had a 4.5 GPA and 35 ACT and also I'm a total goony failure.

On the other hand I've learned a ton of stuff from reading these forums so it's not all bad being a goon :/

Lots of colleges give out merit based scholarships that are based on HS GPA and/or SAT/ACT scores. If you came to my school, you'd get the top admissions merit scholarship with those scores. Depending on where you live, you can also be out of state but get a reduced non-resident rate or even an exception for resident rates.

WampaLord posted:

Our parents could pay for college tuition with a few hours at a part time job at minimum wage because it was cheap as gently caress.

As someone that's worked in financial aid for awhile and is one of those parents, I don't know about that.

These days, I see more students than I should that say "I'll get this degree and then see what I can do with it" while not pursuing outside scholarships or internships, and accepting the maximum amount of loans because simply because that's the amount available to them and not actually thinking anything in regards to budgeting or what it'll take to pay anything back. It's all now now now.

For the students that do pursue outside scholarships, many students have their parents write essays for them and those are often obvious, especially when mommy and daddy call in to do everything for the student. Then there's the students that write one generic essay which doesn't really answer the essay topic but it's close enough for them to not have to put in the effort to tailor it for the scholarship. They lose out to the student that puts a little more effort into it and tailors it to exactly what the essay is asking.

And then there's a few students that do a lot of work racking up as many scholarships as they can, to the point where they're getting far more than what they need to pay for school each term. I'm talking about double digit ranges in refunds for the year.

A lot of the rage regarding tuition exploding needs to be put on the state. They've all been cutting funding they used to provide. The money isn't going to come out of thin air. The worst example I've seen is Illinois. They didn't even have a budget at all until the very end of the fiscal year and students weren't getting the aid they were supposed to because of this. To put it lightly, don't got to school in Illinois.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

chemosh6969 posted:

Lots of colleges give out merit based scholarships that are based on HS GPA and/or SAT/ACT scores. If you came to my school, you'd get the top admissions merit scholarship with those scores. Depending on where you live, you can also be out of state but get a reduced non-resident rate or even an exception for resident rates.

Oh yeah I qualified for those and even got some but decided to go to art school and rack up a gently caress ton of debt lol

To answer the thread title: don't do what I did cause you won't goon -> great

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

photomikey posted:

If you graduated high school, and even if you didn't, you can go to a community college even if you had a 0.0 GPA. If you can get better grades at a community college, you can use that to transfer into a 4-year school. This might not get you into Harvard, but whatever state you live in it'd get you into the "University of (your state here)".

That's still a pretty big ask of people who work for minimum wage or just barely over. It's rough and possible but that turns a 4 year degree into what, a 8?

It's a shame online degrees had such a bad stigma associated to them, because they could've been the perfect answer to all of this.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

After I graduated, I worked with a company for a few years and then ended up getting a job at the college I graduated from. You don't even need to have a degree related to the job you're going after, they're mainly looking for people that have a degree in anything. Once you get your foot in the door with whatever entry level job you can get, that's when you can start job hopping to other departments you'd rather work at. Even entry level, you should be getting good benefits and if there's a union, that'll help with the benefit erosion that management strives for. Plus, if you have direct loans you can probably get your loan forgiven after awhile from working at the school, where in the meantime you probably had your loan payments adjusted based on income. That being said, you'd be ahead if you focus on collecting scholarships as a job instead of accepting loans as your first choice of financial aid.

My degree's in IT/Programming yet I'm working in financial aid but since I know programming/databases/other IT junk, I end up automating or improving whatever processing we do, along with doing any computer related tasks, like website updates.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on

Abu Dave posted:

I dropped out of community college (actually, got kicked out), have no degree and about $10k in college loans debt (almost 10 years later). it sucks. i make $16 a hour and that's seen as a decent pay for my location but i dont have any idea how anyone can manage to live on their own and not make atleast $23 a hour or something like that. just with debt and gas alone i use up most of my pay checks.
That's not a great income, but it's certainly a livable one in a lot of areas. I don't know your specific situation, but if you haven't spent much time thinking about it, you may want to consider how your budgeting things, and develop a plan for how you're going to get out of debt, and figure out what sorts of things you can cut to make your finances more comfortable. You can talk to folks in this thread and get some great advice, if you're interested.

chemosh6969 posted:

These days, I see more students than I should that say "I'll get this degree and then see what I can do with it" while not pursuing outside scholarships or internships, and accepting the maximum amount of loans because simply because that's the amount available to them and not actually thinking anything in regards to budgeting or what it'll take to pay anything back. It's all now now now.
Sure, but you have to keep in mind that 18 year-olds probably don't have the best context for how to plan for their future. If you've never worked a job, and everybody is telling you that you need to college, then you probably have no idea what it means to get into $30k / year of debt. I've talked to many people who got into $100k of debt in undergrad and said "well, I'll make like, $70k a year when I get out, so I'll pay it off in like 3 years!" Of course, they have never worked a job, never made a real budget, never had any real financial responsibilities, and don't really understand how debt builds up and how hard it is to give up huge chunks of your income. Once they end up with a lower paying job, pay their taxes, have a kid, etc. it's too late for them to turn back the clock.

Every piece of society tells kids "you have to go to college" and "college debt is normal." With no other information, of course they're going to make terrible long-term financial decisions.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh yeah I definitely have alot of stupid expenditure but my problem is i'm pretty lucky to be where I am (which i'm sure sounds pretty crazy to you guys as like you said it's not a great income but to where i'm from it is) and it could go away at any minute so i'm doing the stupid immature thing of living it up while I can. Now I say that with a caveat, i'm not blowing every paycheck weekly and I do have some savings I just find it hard to improve myself or secure my position without going back to school and without going another 100k into debt and repeating the cycle. And I did the stupid thing in college of opening a bunch of credit card accounts because gently caress it free money and didn't realize the repercussions of that.

But it's easier to bitch and moan then actually improve myself so :shrug: . It just felt like, atleast when I was in high school and those early college years I had 2 options to succeed:

1. Have "rich" enough parents where I could go to college and not worry about a single expenditure and gently caress off all I want
2. Be mature enough in high school to either do well or realize what was to come either between doing good in college, the reality of the debt i'd get after college etc

I feel like if someone had sat down my generation and said "Hey dumbshit, college isn't free, you're going to have to pay it back, and if you gently caress up and drop out or get kicked out you still have to pay it back alongside being a minimum wage loser"

That last part is I felt what was missing in high school. Instead it was "you HAVE to go to college no matter what, don't worry about the cost you'll pay it off with yoru 100k a year funds"

I think it says a lot that the more successful people my age where ones wh were able to take that year off after high school and figure out what they wanted. In my case and i'm sure most of the other low income cases, it was "go now and reap what you can before others come and take it."

Now i'm 27 and have a idea what I want to do, after not knowing for like 4 years, but no action of doing it without going to college for at least 4 more years all the while working about 60 hours a week and the only opportunity is to take classes on my two days off a week, which is pretty much impossible because they're not all scheduled for those two days hence my point about online colleges.

:shrug:

TLDR: Instead of DARE they should've taught the financial equivalent of DARE in high school.

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 8, 2016

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Abu Dave posted:

That's still a pretty big ask of people who work for minimum wage or just barely over. It's rough and possible but that turns a 4 year degree into what, a 8?

It's a shame online degrees had such a bad stigma associated to them, because they could've been the perfect answer to all of this.
15 credit hours of community college is a stretch for people making minimum wage? Forgive my Gen X entitlement here, but college is supposed to be a stretch. I know that we love to laud these 1% cases of people living in lux apartments driving a Jag going to UC Santa Cruz, but for almost everybody... being poor and going to college go hand-in-hand. I think it makes your college experience better. I think the guy eating ramen noodles and taking the bus learns more at college than the guy driving the Jag to Santa Cruz. I think my generation's gripe with the millennials is that it seems like the millennial manta is that nothing should be hard. No. It's being hard that makes it worthwhile.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think if you ask most people who are poor or on minimum wage which two options would they rather take now:

A: Get a full time job and a part time job and live "comfortably"
B: Get a full time job and 15 hours of college a week and be straddled with debt

It's that juggle that makes the loop hard. Plus 15 hours of community college is just class time, not to mention homework etc etc. It's not that it's hard it's just that the choice that should be the obvious one doesn't outweight the other one.

e; I'm not disagreeing either, my argument is the whole system is silly that it depends on high school performance / maturity and that stretch of time between the ages of 18-20 and having 0 responsibilities where you're supposed to "set your self up for life"

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 9, 2016

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Don't follow your dreams, just find a job that pays the bills and use the rest of your time to enjoy life.

Pron on VHS fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 9, 2016

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Imaduck posted:

Sure, but you have to keep in mind that 18 year-olds probably don't have the best context for how to plan for their future.

I completely agree. We do mandatory financial aid classes during orientation but lots of parents/students show up and play on their phones the entire time until it's over.

My high school had a budgeting class during senior year and the big project for that was to create a budget based on your imaginary job. You also had to look into investments and other types of savings.

The problem with that, at least for me, was that you get to pick whatever job you want, so it's not all that accurate once you move out. I would have been a lot better off if they talked about food stamps, hud, and whatever other public assistance you can get. I didn't know about applying for any of that. I mean I knew it all existed but I was living in a shithole, and ramen noodles from the dollar store were a luxury I could only partake of once every couple of days. I was too busy starving and being in misery to remember I could apply for things I never had any experience with. Eventually I had a choice to either pay for food or not pay rent. I choose food and got to not live in an apartment anymore. Then that life wasn't too great either so I joined the Air Force.

But now I know all these things that sure would have been nice to know then. On the other hand, I wouldn't have gone to college if I didn't go military so I guess things turned out ok.

Abu Dave posted:

I think if you ask most people who are poor or on minimum wage which two options would they rather take now:

A: Get a full time job and a part time job and live "comfortably"
B: Get a full time job and 15 hours of college a week and be straddled with debt

I see B a lot, minus the job because they use their student loans to pay for rent, new car, and that new apple computer that they just have to have for class.

If I was to give anyone advice towards moving out of their parents house, either for college or just to get out, it would be to try and see if they can get into any HUD programs first. Then work on food stamps. I'd rather also advise someone to live in a one bedroom apartment partially/fully funded by HUD instead of getting someplace bigger with a bunch of roommates and then finding how fast poo poo sucks when one of them decides to bail and you can't afford the rent anymore. And learn to live without cable tv unless you can actually afford it. I also don't expect anyone to take this advice because they always know better or they won't have this happen to them, it's just everyone else but at least they might remember food stamps and HUD.

Pron on VHS posted:

Don't follow your dreams, just find a job that pays the bills and use the rest of your time to enjoy life.

Robbing banks does work too, I guess.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

chemosh6969 posted:

finding how fast poo poo sucks when one of them decides to bail and you can't afford the rent anymore.

IMO, this bit here is one of the major reasons why so many millennials are living with their parents. Roommates are loving awful to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Another thing, and I don't hear this mentioned much, what with the mad rush by the boomers/x-ers to poo poo on millennials, is that it used to be TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY hosed to live at home after HS.

Think about it: the average single-family home size in 1963 was ~1250 square feet and average number of children was like 3.2. That means that you're living in a tiny bedroom - probably in bunk beds - with your little brother and 1 motherfucking bathroom in the whole house. Just finding private time to beat off was a non-trivial task. Oh yeah, and Mom's always home, so you gotta have sex at drive-ins and poo poo.

Then in my time(graduated in 1984) two kids was the norm, and house were a little larger(~1750 square feet average) so you had your own bedroom, but you're still up in everybody's poo poo for the most part 'cause most homes were still single-story, so getting the gently caress out of there was a pretty high priority. Plus, there were still a fair number of stay-at-home moms, so alone time was minimal.

Nowadays(well, up 'til 2008, har har) newer houses are loving enormous two-story monstrosities - 2500 to 3000 square feet in many areas) and a lot of families either have one kid or are blended with a teenager and toddler in the same household, so it's relatively easy to live at home and not uncommon to have minimal contact with anybody else that lives there. Plus both parents work and commute and aren't home near as much as back in the day.

So yeah, I can't blame younger people for not having the fire lit under their rear end to mop floors for seven bucks an hour so they can share a dingy one-bedroom apartment with somebody else. It doesn't make sense.

• Locked thread