Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

A lot of it is geographical too. I was born and raised in the Midwest from a firmly middle-class family. I went to college on my own dime because my parents couldn't help me, taking out student loans, getting a few scholarships, and working 40 hours a week as an assistant manager at a grocery store making $8-11 an hour throughout the 3 years I was working there. That kind of money was definitely enough for me to live as a broke college student, paying my bills and having enough to buy some beer on the weekend. If I was trying to do the same thing in say, L.A. or New York, I probably couldn't have survived.

What I'm saying is that it's not a bad idea to move somewhere which a cheap cost of living after college to get some work experience. Yeah it mostly sucks living in Nebraska or Minnesota or whatever, but if you can find a job in your field and save some money it can be a great way to get some work experience. After a few years you can have a car paid off and some money in the bank, then you can start looking for that dream job in Portland or San Francisco or wherever it is people really want to go these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

photomikey posted:

If you didn't know what to do after graduation, you couldn't just sit at home and kill a year. You'd just stare a hole in the loving wall for two days and eventually get up and do SOMETHING just to stymie the boredom.

Its called television.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

You would probably benefit from medication.

• Locked thread