Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I'm interested in hearing and talking about Tales of Great Transformational Change.

Millennials Are Setting New Records—for Living With Their Parents

Maybe it's just my perception and it's always been like this but it seems to me like our generation is struggling with the whole "getting your poo poo together" concept more than any other.

From Epic Failson to Follower of Dreams

So I'd like to hear from folks who have or know someone who has successfully pulled themselves out of this "life rut" and made the changes in their own lives that they've always wanted, what their journey was like and how they did it. It doesn't matter where they started. It could be going from living under a bridge to getting a job and apartment. It could be quitting World of Warcraft/Counter Strike/League of Legends, moving out of their parents basement, and finishing college. For the sake of completeness it could even be quitting the rat race and forming their own hippie commune. Success comes in many forms, all that's really required is that the person is following their dreams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

adorai posted:

The year was 2004. I knocked up my girlfriend and got kicked out of my parents basement. The shock of actually having to provide for my family made me work twice as hard at work and the promotions followed soon after.
Awesome! Can you go into more detail?

photomikey posted:

^^ Different story, same moral. I knew from a young age that I wasn't as good as everybody else and to compete I was going to have to work twice as hard. So I did. It paid off.

My $0.02 is that the millennials are the "special snowflake" generation, you were a fuckup and told you were special and you had your own special talents and that you should find something you loved and don't worry about the money. Sorry, that turned out to be bad advice. You're not the best at anything, you're solidly mediocre. Work harder, and if you look at what you love and there's no money in it, go do something else.

I agree with Adorai, being turned out on the street can make you resourceful and a hard worker.

Good judgement comes from wisdom. Wisdom comes from bad judgement. This generation is expected to have wisdom but was never given a chance to have bad judgement.
This is interesting. Was it really just a conscious choice based on a lack of coddling? Is there anything else you remember influencing your behavior?

Pellisworth posted:

There's nothing that magically makes millenials lazier and less motivated than any other generation or group of people. They were (rightly) told they needed a college degree to get a decent job, but their college costs are massively higher than their parents' and many of them graduated in the middle of a bad recession or its slow recovery.

Your parents got out of college, got a job and a mortgage. Millenials took on a mortgage worth of school loans and graduated into a lovely job market.

Evolving from basement goonlord to productive and independent members of society is a cool discussion but the argument that millenials are coddled and lazy is extremely tired and stupid.

I don't wanna derail your thread so if someone wants to discuss more at length, PM me.
Not at all! I wasn't trying to suggest that the impetus for the situation was "laziness".

I remember when this Time cover came out. There was a good discussion in D&D that went into detail about why this would be a much more accurate cover.

So, no worries about derailing the thread. While they are different topics, they're also related because if you want to completely understand about how someone got themselves out of life rut it may also be helpful to understand how they got in it in the first place, so I won't deter such a discussion.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 28, 2016

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

When I was 19, I told my uncle that I wanted to get into video game development. He told me that was dumb and should instead go into something reliable like IT, because "most people don't make it."

I spent four years in IT wavering between depressed to borderline suicidal before I tossed everything I was taught the last 24 years and went after video game development. I now work in video game development, an extremely happy and make enough money to have a decent 401k, even though it's not "thousands per month".
I'm kind of interested in hearing more about the video game development thing too. Especially since I'm majoring in computer science.

One question I had was do you actually like it? Or at least do you like it as much as you thought you would or as much as you did when you first started? What I mean is, I love movies, but having worked in movie theaters soured my experience with movies a bit. I remember in high school all my friends were talking about going into game development and I remembered my theater experience and avoided that career path. It occurred to me that liking video games wouldn't necessarily equate to enjoying the monotony of testing the same level over and over again or any of the other various behind the scenes things game developers do. It seems common that people don't really want to see behind the curtain especially when it comes to their entertainment. Also I heard game developers are worked like dogs and get paid relatively lovely, but I don't know how true that is.

What is your experience?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

LogisticEarth posted:

I realized that a life in academia wasn't for me, as it involved a huge time investment, a saturated job market, and nearly as much if not more political jockeying as actual science/teaching.

This is the same conclusion I came to with my dream of being a science fiction writer except instead political jockeying turning me off it was the realization that you end up doing more marketing and personal sales than actual writing. You basically have to be your own personal shill. I'm kind of an introvert, I wanted to write a book and let the publishing house do the job of selling it. These days it seems like authors have to be Tony Robbins. It's the equivalent of being that guy standing outside in the parking lot trying to sell your new rap CD to people walking back to their car.

The other thing I found during my research was that being a good writer is like one of the lowest metrics for whether or not you're successful. There's tons of people who are better writers than the Twilight/Hunger Games/Divergent authors who will never be known basically because they didn't luck into some sleep deprived intern passing out on their manuscript before throwing it back on the slush pile.

Come to think of it I might start a A/Tell about being a writer thread, just to hear from goons who are successful at it and confirm/deny my above conclusions.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 6, 2016

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
What kinds of new problems do you guys feel like young people face today that may not have been around in previous years?

I have a few friends who struggle with addiction problems of various sorts to varying degrees. Interestingly enough even though I know plenty of people into drinking and drugs, none of them are really struggling with massive life ruining addiction from those particular things. On the other hand I know a few people who struggle with much newer issues like Online Game/Internet addiction. It's fascinating just how subtly technology has crept its way into our lives and massively altered our behavior. I wonder if the rise in extreme sedentary couch potato lifestyle is primarily tech driven, particularly as a result of the Internet.

Reminds of this crazy pro-read article I read some years back.

• Locked thread