Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Lazy, entitled millennial checking in to say that everyone needs to shut the gently caress up about my generation. There have always been, and always will be, people complaining about "kids these days and their [insert thing that younger generation grew up with, but older generation did not have]," and how it's ruined everything. It used to be rock n roll, or jazz, or TV, or video games, or whatever. This has literally happened since the dawn of civilization. Now it's social media. Tomorrow it'll be something else. I guarantee you that 40 years from now there'll be some shithead millennial complaining about how they "graduated from college in the middle of the Great Recession of '08, where you had actually work really hard to find a decent paying job and make ends meet. Not like today's kids, who are lazy and entitled and have everything handed to them."

Myself, I graduated college two years ago with a degree in Political Science. It's my passion, and I'm glad I pursued it. I have since found work in my field, mainly elections and campaigning, but also in city government. I mention this because my work largely consists of trying to get people motivated, active within their community, and engaged with what's going on in the world. If my work has taught me anything, it's that people who complain and point fingers and lay blame (see: Tony Montoya ITT) are best ignored since they really have no idea what they're talking about, and have nothing to contribute to any possible discussion or solution.

I'm really not sure if I or my generation has it any better or worse than the last few in US or world history. Of course, we're objectively better off than previous generations, since now we've got better medicine, more food, better hygiene, a higher standard of living, etc. than ever before. Very few places on earth are doing worse today than they were, say, 50 years ago. But do we have as many opportunities to improve our lives as our parents did? Do we have to suffer longer and work harder to find those opportunities? Is our future brighter than that of previous generations? I honestly can't give you an accurate answer (hint: nobody can, short of maybe a professor of sociology or a Pew Research Center poll analyst or something).

That being said, lumping people together into arbitrary groupings (in this case generations) is usually a bad idea. Every person is different, and thinks differently, and does things differently. Thinking that every person around the world age 18-34 acts and behaves the same way just because they're "millennials" is absurd. I think it comes from a weird "us versus them" mentality. Regardless of its origins, it's usually inaccurate and incredibly toxic in its effect.

If I had to guess, I don't think my generation is any more entitled, or lazy, or unmotivated than any previous generation. The only thing that separates us from previous generations are our environment, and our situation. If we truly are so lazy, entitled, etc. it's because we live in a time and place that encourages us to be so, not because the Millennial Hivemind decided one day to start smoking weed and stop showing up to work on time, just to piss off the older folk.

Hope this is in the vein of what you were looking for, OP.

literally this big fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jun 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Tony Montana posted:

I was born in 1980, are you telling me I would have had to be born in the 70s to not be a Millennial? Everyone from birth to 40 years old is now an Millennial?

Being born in 1980, you are either 35 or 36 years old. The Pew Research Center defines a millennial as someone between the ages of 19 and 35. Others have a broader definitions and wider age ranges. And since "generations" are wholly social constructs, and you closely associate yourself with others born in the 1980s...

You are literally a millennial.

That being said,

Tony Montana posted:

It's all right here in black and white. It's a sense of superiority, a sense of being special in some way. A disrespect for those who came before. These people actually believe they know better, and knew better all along. We are the chumps, working our mundane jobs and earning our stupid degrees.
At first I thought you were actually a sad, desperate narcissist, trying to prove how cool you are or something. Now it's pretty clear that you're just.. pretending to be one? Why?

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

photomikey posted:

college "career placement" eventually gets you a job, and after 1-2 years of that

Wait, when was this supposed to happen? I went to a CSU and they didn't help me with poo poo. Did I miss a step or something?

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

As people always seem to ignore in these kinds of discussions, the vast majority of "degree required/preferred" jobs do not require any specific degree, and so English majors can do them just like everyone else.

Yeah, the real limiting factor to most jobs is the ubiquitous "two years experience required, five years preferred."

• Locked thread