Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Tony Montana posted:

I really like what the person said above about earning money. You keep running into this loving infuriating idea with millennials that their work needs to be amazing and they're just too good (or something) for doing many jobs. Sitting a desk and working (like a doctor, lawyer or engineer does) seems like some great failing.. you've got some lame desk job which is mundane and YAWN. Many aren't stupid enough to then follow up with 'so how do I become a fighter pilot/rockstar/astronaut' because they know that's actually out of reach.. but they still don't seem to make the connection that if they're not actually going to be a tennis pro then perhaps doing one of the 'lame mundane professions' is perhaps not quite so lame at all.

That's at the teenage level. There is a multiplier effect with time, so by the time someone with a brain got on with it gets to 30.. they're not doing the bitch work anymore, they're pulling down real coin and making serious plans. By 35 they're driving a BMW and living where they choose, with more disposable income than they know what to do with (and that's after putting away thousands a month in investments).
Not everyone has archives, please source your quotes from 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Truly, the problem with the job market is there aren't enough lawyers and kids who want to be lawyers.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

You keep running into this loving infuriating idea with millennials that their work needs to be amazing and they're just too good (or something) for doing many jobs. Sitting a desk and working (like a doctor, lawyer or engineer does) seems like some great failing

Tony Montana posted:

The idea that anyone that speaks with authority or experience is uncool
Just to be clear that's definitely not what's happening here

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
As a millennial, I can't help it, obviously. Do you suppose your generation is what's causing you to talk out of your rear end and throw around insults instead of addressing my point or backing up your ludicrous claims?

Anyway, OP, I had internships and did everything you're supposed to do in college, but I graduated in 2008, so sucked for me. After I got out, I was unemployed and then became a barista. It was bad and not fun, and I made very little money and had a gross housing situation. Then I got a job I has applied for that was decent, but "independent contractor" poo poo so no benefits. About a year later, I applied to a real job that was also baller and got that. Now I'm pretty comfortable, I have my own apartment in NYC, and I do some cool stuff at work. I was lucky that my rough times were more of a "paying your dues" early 20s thing and not more long-term like a lot of people.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Since you ask, English and history.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

my generation (born in the 80s)
one of us, one of us

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

I was born in 1980, are you telling me I would have had to be born in the 70s to not be a Millennial? Everyone from birth to 40 years old is now an Millennial?
1980 was 36 years ago. Poor guy, you should have majored in STEM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
'Cause o' we been thinkin' as how it might be a rul good idea fer you.

• Locked thread