Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
I went to one of the top 3 most prestigious art schools in the country. I started doing drugs my Junior year. I dropped out my senior year in 2008. From 2008-2010 I became a professional heroin junkie. Being a junkie led me to a 4 year prison sentence in Texas.

I served 9 months of my 4 year sentence, and was released on parole (non-violent drug charge, first offense). I started doing heroin again maybe 1 month after my release. I was sitting in a Texas State halfway house waiting to be allowed to go back home. The wait was hard. I was weak.

Got home with a raging heroin addiction - again. Spent about 9 months free on parole before just stopping to show up for parole. Not exactly thinking clearly while banging heroin everyday.

Parole Revoked in April 2013. Sent back to Texas prison from May 2013 to May 2016 to finish the remainder of my sentence.

While in prison discovered yoga, meditation, and Buddhism. Converted to practicing Buddhist teachings and practices. Found out that happiness only lies within myself by looking directly at my troubles and facing them, not running away.

Picked up from Prison by a close friend and Yoga instructor this time. Hired me to work for his moving company, and literally went to work 24 hours after release. Worked on the road with him for 6 months before moving back home. Came back home, got a full-time job as a Auto Paint & Body Tech.

Started attending San Antonio Zen Center when I got back home. Became their volunteer co-ordinator in 2016. Started and maintain the "BuddhaPals" prison pen-pal program where I manage and oversee the pen pal program for Buddhist centers in Texas writing prisoners who have no one else to listen to them.

2016 I took my TDCJ volunteer classes. I became a CVCE (Chaplain's assistant) in March, 2016. I work at the Dominguez state Jail now working with Chaplain Sherman on managing unit Religous services and volunteers.

In 2016 I went back to community college to finish my degree. I used the credits I earned from college originally in 05-07, and graduated with a degree in sociology from University of Texas at San Antonio. Shortly after graduating in Feb. this year, I MOVED OUT OF MY PARENTS HOUSE!

I'm 32 now, living in my own condo, paying all my own bills. I work full time, and I'm taking my Clinical Pastoral Credits, so that I can become a Texas Dept. of Criminal Justice Prison Unit Chaplain, hopefully by the end of 2017.

So after a complete turn-around in my life, I finally made it out of there!

My only advice, my only guidance to anyone that's coming from a poo poo background and trying to make it out like I did, -- You just have to find a reason. Find your reason, not someone else's. If you don't have a reason, you won't have any motivation. Always look for your why. I found a reason to live- I want to spend my life's energy to help other's break free from suffering. I'm very familiar with suffering, and I never want anyone to go through what I did.

I should mention lastly I've been sober from my drug of choice for 4 1/2 years. I smoke a little pot here and there, but nothing serious. No drinking. Just crushing the gym as much as possible!

Dennis McClaren fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread