Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on

Baudolino posted:

The Earth is dying, and i do not have much hope for human civilization beyond this century. Perhaps it will start to unravel in my own lifetime.

Yes my problem With work is that i have too little to do and requires too little effort. This is the very definition of a luxury problem. Have i any rigth to want more?

I am content with my small rented flat. I have come to tolerate living far away from all relatives and friends, in truth i never needed them that much emotionally.
As long as i have a PC, internet and alcohol in the weekends i will never be bored. With my job i shall be able to maintain this lifestyle and improve upon it later by buying a apartment
FYI, you sound depressed as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

Abu Dave posted:

I dropped out of community college (actually, got kicked out), have no degree and about $10k in college loans debt (almost 10 years later). it sucks. i make $16 a hour and that's seen as a decent pay for my location but i dont have any idea how anyone can manage to live on their own and not make atleast $23 a hour or something like that. just with debt and gas alone i use up most of my pay checks.
That's not a great income, but it's certainly a livable one in a lot of areas. I don't know your specific situation, but if you haven't spent much time thinking about it, you may want to consider how your budgeting things, and develop a plan for how you're going to get out of debt, and figure out what sorts of things you can cut to make your finances more comfortable. You can talk to folks in this thread and get some great advice, if you're interested.

chemosh6969 posted:

These days, I see more students than I should that say "I'll get this degree and then see what I can do with it" while not pursuing outside scholarships or internships, and accepting the maximum amount of loans because simply because that's the amount available to them and not actually thinking anything in regards to budgeting or what it'll take to pay anything back. It's all now now now.
Sure, but you have to keep in mind that 18 year-olds probably don't have the best context for how to plan for their future. If you've never worked a job, and everybody is telling you that you need to college, then you probably have no idea what it means to get into $30k / year of debt. I've talked to many people who got into $100k of debt in undergrad and said "well, I'll make like, $70k a year when I get out, so I'll pay it off in like 3 years!" Of course, they have never worked a job, never made a real budget, never had any real financial responsibilities, and don't really understand how debt builds up and how hard it is to give up huge chunks of your income. Once they end up with a lower paying job, pay their taxes, have a kid, etc. it's too late for them to turn back the clock.

Every piece of society tells kids "you have to go to college" and "college debt is normal." With no other information, of course they're going to make terrible long-term financial decisions.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

This isn't the best thread for this debate, but there are a lot of things that have led to the increasing costs of college tuition. Yes, opening up college to many more students through more availability of loans was part of it, but mostly because we increased access to colleges without increasing state spending on colleges to compensate. In addition, there was inadequate focus on how to actually get all of these new students to finish college and enter profitable careers afterwards.

Getting rid of loans would reduce the demand for college, sure, but it would also eliminate the best way for individuals from low income households to pull themselves up.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

Who knew that being a purposely jobless, homeless beggar that's on recently been kicked off of food stamps could be so fun!?

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

Oooh, :iceburn:.

But see, I'm comfortable with the "not being a dick part." It's the "fraudulently taking resources from social programs because I'd rather get high all day than work" part that doesn't really jive with my worldview. You're the one that justifies people like Mike Pence; I say I support social programs for people in need, and they point to someone like you and say it's easy to commit fraud and we're catering to a bunch of able-bodied drug addicts that just want to take money from them without working.

Since it fits the theme of the thread, I'll throw out there that while all this stuff is cute and fun when you're young and healthy, it gets a hell of a lot less cute when you're a sick old man and nobody wants to give you free rides, free places to crash, pocket change, or even look you in the eye anymore. Hospitals will do the bare minimum to keep you alive and then kick your rear end out the door to deal with your chronic health conditions on the streets.

But I'm sure you'll say "I know old folks who do it" or "the world will take care of me" or "whatever happens, happens" or whatever other bullshit to make yourself feel like you're on the right path and you've figured it all out. The truth is that even though you've lived broke and homeless, you've never truly been distressed or in the poo poo. Otherwise you'd take things like losing your free meals a little loving more seriously.

By the way, you're about 1% as interesting as you think you are.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

Brainiac Five posted:

It would actually be cheaper to directly kill people who fall out of the employment market for an extended period of time than just denying them benefits and hoping they starve to death, so your beliefs are obviously based more on your desire to torture people than even some murderous technocrat's yearning to kill the "useless" people.
Look, I'm all for guaranteed minimum income and universal healthcare, and if we had those things I'd all be for people living the art lifestyle if that's what they want to do... but as it stands we're a long way off from both of those things in this country. In the meantime, this dude is choosing to abuse what limited resources we have, taking them away from other people who need them and don't have a choice in the matter, and he's encouraging others to follow in his footsteps.

And I do agree that at the very least, dude should talk to a professional just to talk through things and make sure he's all good.

Imaduck fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 2, 2016

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

I think he's just saying that he ended up with a better-than-average job than his colleagues, and that's not necessarily because he was "better" or worked harder than his colleagues with similar backgrounds.

It's important to not get mired in "everything is luck, everything good anyone has is due to luck, therefore I shouldn't do anything and just hope to get lucky." On the same note, it's important to not go to the other extreme and think that all the success you've had is just a result of how great you are. Highly successful people tend to over-emphasize their personal part in success. Highly unsuccessful people tend to over-emphasize how unlucky they are. The truth is in the middle.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

You're still missing the point. Most career paths aren't included in *any* degree, and yet many of them require *a* degree anyway. An English degree is as good for those as anything else. A fairly small proportion of degree-requiring jobs have strong preferences with regard to major.
I think a lot of the pushback you're getting here is coming from a generation that repeatedly got the advice "it doesn't matter what you major in; all you need is any college degree and there will be tons of good, well-paying jobs for you on the other side!" Lots of people my age were told this, and it's just not true. There are certain degrees that have a track record of high placement in well-paying jobs, and then there are the other degrees.

Nobody is saying that you can't get a great job with an English degree. What we're saying is that your pathway to that great job is probably going to be a lot harder. You can't just say "oh I have a college degree, I'll take my $70k/year please." Instead, you're probably going to have to spend many years moving from job to job, trying to distinguish yourself, trying to pick up new skills, trying to find a good in to a higher role, and really grind your way up. You might have to go back to school. You might have to luck into connections that happen to have the right opportunity for you at the right time. You're probably going to spend many years being relatively poor. You might not ever make it.

Or you can get a degree in a high demand field like Computer Science and be offered a good, high-paying job a year before you graduate. I'm not saying that that pathway is easier, or that it's for everyone, but it's just not the same thing as getting a Philosophy degree.

I also kind of take issue with you saying there are lots of jobs out there that require just any degree. We're talking in generalities here, but I think that's becoming less and less true, and more and more jobs are going back to "a degree or 4 years experience." Even jobs that say they require a degree will often hire someone who can demonstrate the skills they need without the degree.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

BarbarianElephant posted:

That's the secret - for now. That way of thinking also led to a glut of lawyers a few years back. Probably good odds for someone picking their degree right now, assuming they have decent aptitude for code and don't hate the thought of being in a cubicle making for-loops for the next 50 years.
My office has an open floor plan, thank you very much!

Open floor plans are actually much worse than cubicles. Give me a cube.
Also, the fact that I have a strong opinion about office floor plans hurts my soul a little.

I usually hate self-help books, but I've been reading the book The Subtle Art of Not Giving a gently caress and it's pretty good. It presents an interesting perspective about why a lot of people whose lives look great on paper feel lovely about their lives and why a lot of folks with relatively shittier lives feel pretty good. It's great if you're trying to figure out what your goals should be if you actually want to feel good about what you're doing and where you're going in life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

I already want to hurl a brick at this idiot's head.
I agree actually, I'm not fond of statements like that. It's not really a central point of the book though.

• Locked thread