Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I was unemployed for two years, which was such a shiftless and miserable time that I've got to mentally add/subtract them whenever I'm remembering that far back, until I landed a low-paying clerk job and held onto it tooth and claw until it became less low-paying and then sufficiently well-paying for me to choke out my loans and move out of my parents' house. Now I'm six years out of college and I've got robust enough savings to focus on retirement plans and treat myself within reason, with enough of a buffer to leverage this job into something more specialized and better paying once I feel the need for it. I got to this point with no small amount of help from my family, but besides that it was just hanging in there and not completely giving up until a chance to prove myself came by.

I could be doing better at this point in my life if I'd gotten a more in-demand degree or spent my unemployed years doing something more productive than trying to keep my head above the depression, but I think that a lot of the pressure on the unemployed, especially from our generation, seems to come from this unspoken belief that there's some built-in track to success and one misstep makes you somehow lesser than people who rode it all the way to the end. Which is bunk, obviously - every mistake's an opportunity to learn. At the very least, going through the "failson" experience and coming out the other side should be enough to teach someone basic empathy for people in similar situations, because long-term unemployment is definitely not the free vacation some people seem to believe it is.

It's handy that Tony Montana posted so early in this thread, because he's exactly what anyone, especially those who start off on the wrong foot, should try not to be - he's successful, but spends his time screaming at shadows and haughtily talking himself up to strangers because it's not enough that he's succeeded, everyone who doesn't fit into his paradigm needs to somehow fail as well. Just focus on you. Once you get out from under any long-standing debt and can consistently keep a roof over your head and food on your table, happiness comes down to personal preference, and there's no shame in going "that's enough for me." If it's not, keep striving. And don't be a dick to people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Brainiac Five posted:

"Take abuse"? Been a long time since Business English, huh?

You're being an rear end for no discernible reason, here.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Imaduck posted:

I usually hate self-help books, but I've been reading the book The Subtle Art of Not Giving a gently caress and it's pretty good. It presents an interesting perspective about why a lot of people whose lives look great on paper feel lovely about their lives and why a lot of folks with relatively shittier lives feel pretty good. It's great if you're trying to figure out what your goals should be if you actually want to feel good about what you're doing and where you're going in life.

quote:

For decades, we’ve been told that positive thinking is the key to a happy, rich life. "F**k positivity," Mark Manson says. "Let’s be honest, poo poo is f**ked and we have to live with it." In his wildly popular Internet blog, Manson doesn’t sugarcoat or equivocate. He tells it like it is—a dose of raw, refreshing, honest truth that is sorely lacking today. The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F**k is his antidote to the coddling, let’s-all-feel-good mindset that has infected American society and spoiled a generation, rewarding them with gold medals just for showing up.

I already want to hurl a brick at this idiot's head.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

chemosh6969 posted:

He's not making it up. I remember seeing that change through schools when my kids went.

I was also hearing it as I was going through school. To the extent that this trend actually exists, it's pushed by the parents. The kids don't give a poo poo.

The latest generation by and large exists under the shadow of constantly impending ruin, financial or otherwise, and does their best to deal with it. Anyone these days who keeps pushing the lazy/coddled/entitled/participation trophy line needs to have their head shoved in a toilet bowl until the bubbles stop coming up.

• Locked thread