Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Might as well share my story.

Graduated from high school in 2006. Went to the local community college for 8 years. General gooniness and My Own drat Fault first and foremost for taking so long, I also dealt with other issues such as undiagnosed depression, my Mom being diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, and fast food managers getting mad at me for wanting to go back to school. Lived with my parents and hated my life for most of this. It didn't help that my first and only girlfriend only dated me to get over her ex, which she got back with shortly after.

One morning, I decided enough was enough. I got therapy, went to the gym, decided to eat right and made up for a lot of errors in Community College. Transferred out to state college, finished strong, and made Dean's List. Been living on my own for a while now.

BA is in Political Science. I wanted to be a Lawyer, but decided against it for various reasons (Shout-out to the Law thread). Got a tutoring job with a non profit and found out I love it. Decided to go back to school for my credential to become a teacher.

Honestly, getting better starts with you, OP. You're the one who is going to want to improve. It also doesn't hurt to have a strong safety net in Friends and Family.

Okuteru fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

photomikey posted:

Forceholy, was there one thing that pushed you over the edge to change? What was it? What was the feeling associated with it?

Honestly? E/N.

I posted a thread on E/N where I just pored my heart out and goons listened and helped. It gave me the courage to seek therapy and try to get better.

Of course, this was years ago, back when FYAD didn't take over GBS and goons would actually try to help you out.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Azuth0667 posted:

Its usually a case of HR being stupid or the person doing the hiring not knowing what they're doing. I've literally had a hiring manger try to make a stink of me not having 5 years experience working with a flow cytometer that just came out last year.

This is why I never believed the tale of "job posting requirements being more like wish lists" for employers.

• Locked thread