Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
camgirl fangirl
Jan 17, 2008
EAT MORE
I used to be a shut in goon that played warcraft 3 every day all day in my parents basement, i ended up dropping out of high school due to never going to class. Had basically no friends except my online ones and terrible social skills due to being surrounded by goon types myself.

When i was 17 i left my parents house and applied to a university with the high school credits i did have, ended up being accepted into a pretty good commerce program. From there i started hustling hard, worked 2 jobs my entire way through school that involved talking to people 6 hours a day and read social skills books and articles to improve my ability to talk to people. I enrolled in the co-op program at my school and ended up landing a student job at a well known firm in my city.

That first job allowed me to build up a network of business contacts that has led to every job I have ever had since. At the same time, I got really involved in student clubs and volunteering which allowed me to get noticed by both my employer and other employers in my mid-size (1 million population) city.

Now i'm 23 and make six figures a year working in policy development for the government - a position I got through making contacts in volunteer work combined with work experience and freelance research work that have gained me a reputation in my field. Basically the most important thing for me has been building social capital and making connections and references that have helped me out over the years. I found that no one would give me anything unless i asked for it, and I had to sell myself a lot (with a lot of failures and missteps along the way).

I had lovely grades but made up for it with hustle i guess is what i'm trying to say. Anyways it was really hard and still is but not having any safety net really motivated me.

Oh yeah also i have a ton of student and credit card debt, smoke lots of cigarettes and spend like $1000 a month on various drugs. Also i am majorly depressed and have anxiety issues. Working on this other stuff though.

camgirl fangirl fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Mar 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread