Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I don't think there's much of a stigma at all anymore about living with your parents when you're within those first few years out of college. Its regarded as totally normal for someone 22 or 23 to still be living at home while they pay off whatever debts they may have accrued during the college years.

Once you're 25+ that stigma is there in full force. I lived at home when I was 24 for about 6 months and it was very tough on my self-esteem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
During the time I was living with my parents for about 6 months my parents repeatedly suggested doing some volunteer work while I didn't have a paying job and I really wish I'd taken their advice. My time there would have been a lot more tolerable I think and who knows what networking opportunities it may have provided that I missed out on.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

many johnnys posted:

Lol this wasn't my experience. It's like yeah, I'm 21 now so of course I'm going to be dating. No sneaking around necessary, it's not like it's a scandal...

I also am being carried through life on IT money, finally bought a house at 30.

When I was living at home it wasn't really about sneaking around, just common courtesy that I didn't want to stomp around the house and wake my parents up at 1:30am. It's not like I was on a curfew or any concrete rules had been laid out, but it was just a general philosophy of "you live here now so keep regular adult hours like we do so that you don't disrupt our lives." When I was 19 and on summer break, sure walking in at 3am was accepted, but when you're 24 and living at home its better for everyone if you just act like a responsible adult, even if you don't always want to.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Strategic Tea posted:

Just lol at everyone saying that getting a decent, challenging, full time office job in any way implies you will be able to afford a life of your own

Depends what you mean by a life. A nice house in the suburbs and college funds for the kids? Probably not. But if you have a decent full time office job then you should be able to qualify for a livable apartment, especially if you have a partner making a second income. But some people don't really consider it a "life" unless you can afford to have kids and own a house.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

IRQ posted:

Try living around San Francisco, DC, or NYC.

I wouldn't, for exactly that reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It sounds like you actually did have a fair bit of luck growing up, probably about average really. Good luck with the depression though, I'd expect your outlook on life to improve a lot if you take care of that issue.

• Locked thread