Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
real talk, as a millenial i cant really take anyone of the older generation talking poo poo all that serious bc ive seen first hand how agnostic economic reward is to ppl who "deserve it" or not. typically tho when someone writes posts like this they come from the other side of the fence so older folks who think they've "made it" find it easy to dismiss saying like "ooh if u work hard (get ur fingernails dirty! plumbing owns!) you will succeed" etc.

i was a relatively average student in HS and college, lucked into a job working w/ exotic financial products due to the fact that i joined a fraternity and have leveraged that for the past few years where now im working in venture capital flying around the world outearning nearly all of my colleagues and peers, those that worked harder than me and those that didn't. if i ended up staying at my first job out of school (which was in utilities) i'd have a good amount of debt still and be probably below-average compared to them. basically if i went on the advice of some of the old ppl in this thread and others, i'd have worked in gasoline to pay myself through school and then would still be working there, being on the straight and narrow etc.

effort level, ingenuity, cleverness, etc. is such a small part of what i have seen makes a person succeed. i'd genuinely consider myself dead-average in both work ethic and in intelligence yet i've gotten a huge degree of luck over and over that have led to where i am now. it's a really skewed distribution of effort to reward, sure those that work harder probably have some degree of a higher chance to get better jobs, bigger house, etc. but it's like a million parts to one, it really doesn't make sense.

i think a lot of where ppl end up in life has to just do with the conditions they are born in and then strokes of luck from there. the older generations had more stable markets and could participate in more functional economies. that isnt the case for most of my peers and then you get put on a wack track trying to "go higher". like if you work odd jobs out of school for ages it's not really too easy to move into a "career" as ppl make it seem, there's been a few times i was biting my fingernails but at this juncture my resume has gotten robust enough that i'm not super worried - but what about my friends who didn't have that stroke of luck? it's super weird.

guys like that tony montana dude make me laugh a bit as well. because the perspective about what runs the world is all skewed up. he's talking about how ppl my age dont wanna do mundane jobs etc. and that's what is making them have a rough time economically. even putting aside the fact that on a statistical scale that's a pretty silly thought to have all together, i hardly consider most ppl w/ those mundane jobs having "made it". like for example in the next few days im closing a deal to buy a company staffed primarily by dudes in their 30s or 40s who work on their hands and knees doing hard labor quite often. they worked really hard and had no preconceptions about what they were owed by society at large and yet by sheer luck of the draw im in a wildly advantageous position compared to them, i get to sit in an air conditioned office, do a few excel sheets and make a few phone calls and outearn them to a super high degree. but if only they were okay with having mundane jobs and not being rock stars! it's a silly way to think that, IMO.

luckily, from what i can tell, the country that i live in now is a bit more forgiving to people who try to make a living some way or another (just moved to australia). but frankly i'd be in favor of more and more, i'm under no illusion that i dont "deserve" the money i'm making so if i were to put it back into the country that's letting me live and work here than i'd be more than glad to. it's funny how the ire of many ppl goes toward those making nothing and taking nothing from the state, and ppl like me get to skate by because we wear suits to work and can do a pivot loving table, it's all useless crap but somehow an entire generation of middle aged folks have been conditioned to be mad at teenagers and 20 year olds because they saw facebook memes about trigger warnings or participation trophies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread