Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

- Grew up in a lower/working class family, where the most they ever made was $40k in a year (that was because of lots of overtime).

- One brief time my parents were separated, my mom drove a car that had exhaust go into the car and lived in a shitbox apartment.

- When I was 16, I was expected to work. Nobody wanted to hire me to the point where I was begging employers for work. Got a lovely retail job.

- My parents expected me to work every free day I had. So when I was 17 during summer, after football practice, I'd work a factory job and during the weekend I'd be working my lovely retail job. I even worked on Christmas Day.

- Life always went poo poo side up on me so the money I made from my two jobs often went as fast as I got it. Had to turn down homecoming court (I did have some friends) because I had no money to get a suit and my parents refused to lend me any money. Wound up working the night of the homecoming dance my senior year. I contemplated ending it all that night (glad I didn't).

- I was so depressed and angry that I never bothered applying for scholarships so I went to school taking out loans. Loans piled up fast. I would work but school being expensive as it was, it was never enough so it kept adding. Felt hopeless at times.

- Graduated right when the economy turned to poo poo in 2008. I got a good job offer but it involved working in a town that I absolutely hated.

- I hated the town so much I worked constantly to make the days go by faster (I had an Xbox 360 that kept producing disc read errors so not much time playing games). I got in at 6 AM and left around 7 PM. Worked weekends too. Management noticed and started putting me on committees, which raised my profile.

- Got a promotion to management by age 25, which was unheard of where I worked. I think I worked even more than I did before. Finally was able to move out of the hellhole I was living at.

- Got another promotion a year and a half later, which pushed me over six figures and allowed me to move to somewhere decent for a change.

- Took evening classes to get my MBA. I didn't think it was very valuable but I took it seriously and got a lot out of the experience.

- During that time I got another promotion when I was 28. Finally paid off my gargantuan student loans around this time. I also started investing into my 401k, IRA, HSA, etc. Something I should have done much sooner but anyway I started.

- Early this month I got another promotion to where I'm one of the youngest people with my title.

I'm fortunate to get the opportunities that I have but I had to grind hard to get it. Many times it felt totally hopeless and wanted to end it all.

The Experiment fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread