Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I don't know what your circumstances/aspirations/ambitions are OP, but I would suggest trying service work out for awhile. The AmeriCorps VISTA program gives you enough money to survive for a year and potentially get involved in a field that you might have an inkling for.

The first time I felt successful was when I shifted into work helping other people. I don't make any money but I like waking up knowing that my job is supposed to be helping others.

N. Senada fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Uglycat, I hope you stay safe and healthy. Please try to seek out mental health professionals.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Uglycat posted:

I'm kinda confused. What in my post led you to suggest I need mental health care? Another poster earlier suggested medication. I thought the post implied I need /food/. It's kind've insulting.

I think discussing some of your goals and expectations for yourself with a mental health professional would be a good idea. Bigger cities sometimes have free clinics or outreach centers where you can meet with a counselor (and hopefully trained social worker). They can also usually point you to other organizations that may help you for things like identifying shelters or food pantries. More transient individuals make use of those services as well and it might be a good networking opportunity. I'm sincerely not trying to be aggressive and I'm sorry if I come off that way.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Jeza posted:

The interesting/ironic part of it was that some of them had been promoted and developed reputations on the backs of single big successes, while others fell behind, yet taken over the whole ten year period there was really little discrepancy between any of them in terms of overall success. Yet in interviews they all credited their successes to themselves and their failures to poor luck or market conditions, when in reality you could have replaced any one of them with a roulette wheel choose where to invest and had pretty much the same results (minus paying for the service, which makes the margins required for beneficial managed funding even slimmer).

Spinning that is a crucial skill. Remember, when you're selling yourself, all successes are yours and all failures are collaborative/chance/the weather that day. It's also worth remembering when you're hearing other people talk about their work.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Inter-generational households are actually cool and not bad, but you have to have not lovely family members. That's the rub of it.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Hey Sefal, I'm very glad for your successes and hope you learn from your missteps. I'm going to share something with you that might be a controversial opinion but Do Not Buy A House. That's a huge investment that will tie you to a location. Rent until you are on better footing. 10k saved up is super great tho and you're doing better than a lot of Americans.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

photomikey posted:

Good job. Great story. You should be proud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I liked that story. Thanks for sharing it man.

• Locked thread