Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

-Blackadder- posted:

What kinds of new problems do you guys feel like young people face today that may not have been around in previous years?

I have a few friends who struggle with addiction problems of various sorts to varying degrees. Interestingly enough even though I know plenty of people into drinking and drugs, none of them are really struggling with massive life ruining addiction from those particular things. On the other hand I know a few people who struggle with much newer issues like Online Game/Internet addiction. It's fascinating just how subtly technology has crept its way into our lives and massively altered our behavior. I wonder if the rise in extreme sedentary couch potato lifestyle is primarily tech driven, particularly as a result of the Internet.

Reminds of this crazy pro-read article I read some years back.

Idiotic HR people that have no idea what they are trying to hire for. The job market is hard enough as it is but, these people make it worse. To top it all off they have the audacity to complain that "oh there are so many applications we can't sort them all." I don't know about anyone else but, when I complained about doing my job before people told me to suck it up and do my job. I don't know why these HR people think they should be special snowflakes and exempt from that.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about :

Lab tech:

Job Description: The guy that makes microbiological media and cooks stuff in an autoclave.
Job Requirements: 5 years experience in an industrial or research setting involving microbiology.

This might seem reasonable to the untrained eye but, anyone that can follow a simple cookbook recipe can do this.

or

Lab tech:

Job Description: The guy that does thin-layer chromatography.
Job Requiremetns: 5 years experience in this random experiment technique that was published in 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

photomikey posted:

Read the last four pages. When you graduated from college you had no debt and your graduation gift was a $50k/yr job with a bow wrapped around it. You didn't put in any effort and one day your lovely apartment turned into a four bedroom house. Now you're vice president (you didn't earn it, it was handed to you, you were lucky) and totally incompetent and just holding that spot full so that some poor mistreated millennial can't get a job.

Also, don't lie about the 80's, they've read about how great it was.

I'm confused here are you legitimately angry or making fun of people?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Panfilo posted:

A clinical lab tech job in a hospital can pay pretty well. Our local Kaiser had quite a few techbros/engineers turned phlebotomists and lab techs.

And I'm guessing that with some jobs it's more about the interview because obviously somebody is working those jobs those experience requirements defy space and time.

Its usually a case of HR being stupid or the person doing the hiring not knowing what they're doing. I've literally had a hiring manger try to make a stink of me not having 5 years experience working with a flow cytometer that just came out last year.

• Locked thread