Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Heres some life advice from some internet oval office about making an actual life:

You are constantly making choices, all the time. Most of them are automatic, unconscious, part of the narrative story you have constructed starting with your earliest experiences before you could even form explicit memories. A lot of the rest are because someone has told you something or 'its the way things are', or a million other 'reasons'. How much of whats left is because of how you feel, based on how you used to feel, or might feel in the future? etc etc etc

Learn how to actually be aware of your choices and your world will open up.

Learn how to have enough. When you understand that feeling you will have an edge on those who don't. Our society is built around consumption and busy work, aspirational thinking, building a hole to fill.

Learn how to live like peasants do, very poor people around the world are incredibly clever and resourceful and efficient. Then you can take some risks and do some interesting poo poo with your life and career because its not going to collapse while you are in-between because you can contract your lifestyle.

You 'pay' attention and 'spend' your time. Think about that.

Do everything that matters (work out what matters) to the absolute best of your ability. It will make it easier when no one rewards you or gives any kind of gently caress at all, which will be most of the time. And you will learn something. And sometimes it will be a massive complete failure. Its amazing to learn to experience that kind of shame and failure - where you tried to the absolute limit of your abilities and failed, there arent any excuses to hide behind or people to blame or what-ifs, it will teach you well.

You are allowed to be happy, this means you.

Work out what balance means in your life, to you, and how to keep that. What that looks like. What you can trade. If you can experiment.
Eg: My previous job payed quite well but to be able to give 100% every day and deal with the massive amounts of suffering and responsibility I was exposed to I decided to do it 3 days a week so I had 2 days to deal with that, then a chance to be a human being before going back. When I got the job I decided I needed to live alone to do it. So it was like getting paid ok for a 9-5 everyday job. That was a good balance for me, and an incredible opportunity to learn at the edge of my ability. I would have probably lasted a few weeks if I had of gone full-time instead of a few years. Every day I learnt something new, and for the first time I had a job where I felt comfortable asking questions. And it taught me so much about life and myself that I may never have learnt otherwise. The funniest thing was that everyone who actually got the roles (advertised full-time positions) all said they would need to work part time. My understanding of my limits made me a better choice.

Learn how to make mistakes, its a skill.

People who talk about how the world doesnt owe you anything are normally the most entitled unconscious fucks, they are not aware of their own privileges or advantages. People who tell you to harden up are usually brittle and insecure and will buckle/crumble. Learn how to be flexible and actually deal with each situation as you choose to.

And lastly a quote: "No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread