Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Tony Montana posted:

gently caress you. You sound like a millennial that doesn't like the fact that the Facebook generation isn't nearly so cute anymore and a lot more useless than could be believed. Geez, a culture based around vapid social media combined with all the other horseshit we love to poo poo on (on these forums particularly) turned out a generation of dopey children with zero ambitions. Who coulda guessed it.

For the OP, your avatar is Blackadder which makes me think you're British. I can easily say out of all the cultures I've lived in, the English and English youth take indifference to another level. Americans can be brash, but at least the ones I've met have ideas (some of which seem crazy) they want to live by. We Australians love to drink and carry on like trash, but when the chips are down we've got strong ideas about what it is to be an adult (living at home with Mum and earning 50k a year working retail isn't one of them). But in England I felt a pervasive sense of 'meh', moreso than anywhere else. Even the Italians seemed to have more to strive for, despite being broke as gently caress.

I really like what the person said above about earning money. You keep running into this loving infuriating idea with millennials that their work needs to be amazing and they're just too good (or something) for doing many jobs. Sitting a desk and working (like a doctor, lawyer or engineer does) seems like some great failing.. you've got some lame desk job which is mundane and YAWN. Many aren't stupid enough to then follow up with 'so how do I become a fighter pilot/rockstar/astronaut' because they know that's actually out of reach.. but they still don't seem to make the connection that if they're not actually going to be a tennis pro then perhaps doing one of the 'lame mundane professions' is perhaps not quite so lame at all.

That's at the teenage level. There is a multiplier effect with time, so by the time someone with a brain got on with it gets to 30.. they're not doing the bitch work anymore, they're pulling down real coin and making serious plans. By 35 they're driving a BMW and living where they choose, with more disposable income than they know what to do with (and that's after putting away thousands a month in investments).

I think I've gotten through to my partners 14 year old son. He was all about photography and he's quite good, I like it too. But he said something the other day 'yeah photography is cool, but I can do that as a hobby. I want to earn coin when I finish. I'm thinking maybe commerce?'.

Now commerce is some boring poo poo, we can do better than that.. but let me tell you, mate, you are on the right track :)

nice meltdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread