Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dropped out of community college (actually, got kicked out), have no degree and about $10k in college loans debt (almost 10 years later). it sucks. i make $16 a hour and that's seen as a decent pay for my location but i dont have any idea how anyone can manage to live on their own and not make atleast $23 a hour or something like that. just with debt and gas alone i use up most of my pay checks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

-Blackadder- posted:

What kinds of new problems do you guys feel like young people face today that may not have been around in previous years?

I have a few friends who struggle with addiction problems of various sorts to varying degrees. Interestingly enough even though I know plenty of people into drinking and drugs, none of them are really struggling with massive life ruining addiction from those particular things. On the other hand I know a few people who struggle with much newer issues like Online Game/Internet addiction. It's fascinating just how subtly technology has crept its way into our lives and massively altered our behavior. I wonder if the rise in extreme sedentary couch potato lifestyle is primarily tech driven, particularly as a result of the Internet.

Reminds of this crazy pro-read article I read some years back.

I just feel like it's a different world compared to 20 / 30 years ago and as things got bigger / people got richer the bottom line didn't adapt and now it's screwing over anyone who couldn't afford to go to college / wasn't smart enough to know that the rest of your life and finances etc where to be judged by how well you did in high school. But that's not a new problem and has existed since the beggining of time

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's the point though you had to perform well in high school to get into a college. If I tried to go to a four year now even 12 years later they still want a high school transcript which is poo poo.

That's the only real difference between generations is that it was way easier to make something of yourself,even in poo poo work, without a degree. But that's not a millennial s problem that's a generation X problem also

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

photomikey posted:

If you graduated high school, and even if you didn't, you can go to a community college even if you had a 0.0 GPA. If you can get better grades at a community college, you can use that to transfer into a 4-year school. This might not get you into Harvard, but whatever state you live in it'd get you into the "University of (your state here)".

That's still a pretty big ask of people who work for minimum wage or just barely over. It's rough and possible but that turns a 4 year degree into what, a 8?

It's a shame online degrees had such a bad stigma associated to them, because they could've been the perfect answer to all of this.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh yeah I definitely have alot of stupid expenditure but my problem is i'm pretty lucky to be where I am (which i'm sure sounds pretty crazy to you guys as like you said it's not a great income but to where i'm from it is) and it could go away at any minute so i'm doing the stupid immature thing of living it up while I can. Now I say that with a caveat, i'm not blowing every paycheck weekly and I do have some savings I just find it hard to improve myself or secure my position without going back to school and without going another 100k into debt and repeating the cycle. And I did the stupid thing in college of opening a bunch of credit card accounts because gently caress it free money and didn't realize the repercussions of that.

But it's easier to bitch and moan then actually improve myself so :shrug: . It just felt like, atleast when I was in high school and those early college years I had 2 options to succeed:

1. Have "rich" enough parents where I could go to college and not worry about a single expenditure and gently caress off all I want
2. Be mature enough in high school to either do well or realize what was to come either between doing good in college, the reality of the debt i'd get after college etc

I feel like if someone had sat down my generation and said "Hey dumbshit, college isn't free, you're going to have to pay it back, and if you gently caress up and drop out or get kicked out you still have to pay it back alongside being a minimum wage loser"

That last part is I felt what was missing in high school. Instead it was "you HAVE to go to college no matter what, don't worry about the cost you'll pay it off with yoru 100k a year funds"

I think it says a lot that the more successful people my age where ones wh were able to take that year off after high school and figure out what they wanted. In my case and i'm sure most of the other low income cases, it was "go now and reap what you can before others come and take it."

Now i'm 27 and have a idea what I want to do, after not knowing for like 4 years, but no action of doing it without going to college for at least 4 more years all the while working about 60 hours a week and the only opportunity is to take classes on my two days off a week, which is pretty much impossible because they're not all scheduled for those two days hence my point about online colleges.

:shrug:

TLDR: Instead of DARE they should've taught the financial equivalent of DARE in high school.

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think if you ask most people who are poor or on minimum wage which two options would they rather take now:

A: Get a full time job and a part time job and live "comfortably"
B: Get a full time job and 15 hours of college a week and be straddled with debt

It's that juggle that makes the loop hard. Plus 15 hours of community college is just class time, not to mention homework etc etc. It's not that it's hard it's just that the choice that should be the obvious one doesn't outweight the other one.

e; I'm not disagreeing either, my argument is the whole system is silly that it depends on high school performance / maturity and that stretch of time between the ages of 18-20 and having 0 responsibilities where you're supposed to "set your self up for life"

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 9, 2016

• Locked thread