Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

When I was 19, I told my uncle that I wanted to get into video game development. He told me that was dumb and should instead go into something reliable like IT, because "most people don't make it."

I spent four years in IT wavering between depressed to borderline suicidal before I tossed everything I was taught the last 24 years and went after video game development. I now work in video game development, an extremely happy and make enough money to have a decent 401k, even though it's not "thousands per month".

The advice you give is awful and while you are clearly OK with taking whatever job makes the most financial sense, I would rather love my job and be comfortable instead of loathe going to work and be loaded.

The message you should be sharing is, "do what you want, but be ready to work very hard for it and have a backup plan", not "gently caress your dreams spoiled millennial, go into commerce! That's where the money is!"

Anyway, the important take away here is that your advice is bad and you probably shouldn't enforce your values on others.

I'm interested, how did you make the change from IT to Game Development? Did you go back to school? Were you programming on your spare time?

I'm at the point where I make a decent living. I graduated school in 2008 with a degree that I wasn't all interested in. While the degree required more schooling, I decided to branch elsewhere to learn the true value of a dollar and share the similar feelings that my friends and most people in my city were feeling. I worked as a bank teller for about a year and hated it. I decided that I would move out of state to learn how to pay bills. I got a position at a big bank and work in a call center environment. I moved out of my parent's basement and living with relatives still (I'm moving on up!). But even though I'm making double what I made as a teller, my job is so soul crushing and upper management makes it harder than it should be.

I read an article about the "Quarter Life Crisis" that a lot of "millennials" are going through these days and I really hope I don't make a mistake regret with a potential career change. But then again, I don't want to be complacent with this new job. My advice to anyone who is living in their parent's basement is to find any job, save money, and when things seem like its feeling worse, make a change. Life isn't a race and always be hungry for more. I know it might now mean a lot now, but at least you are getting out of rock bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread