Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

A generation of people who sucked the teat of public subsidy as hard as they could and then did all in their power to destroy that system calling millenials entilted. :ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Yes, if you're hell-bent on a career path that is definitely not included in your English degree, you can probably overcome it. Volunteer programs/various national programs are availed for recent college grads (regardless of what their degree was actually in) that can get you experience doing all kinds of stuff. Americorp (which unfortunately, president fuckface is cutting the budget on) offered me, a guy with a degree in environmental science, opportunities to interview for disaster relief organizations, and non-profits that fed school kids. I had no interest in those things, but if I was hell-bent on doing FEMA type stuff, I would've found a way to make it work. Even after President Fuckface gets finished loving millions of Americans over, there are still hundreds of state programs that offer youngin's with degrees opportunities doing stuff. Most of the Western States have a Conservation Corp, which looks really, really good if you're looking for a state/federal job doing environmental stuff in state/national parks.

Basically, we're not saying that you shouldn't pursue what you love. But unless what you love is engineering or science, you're really making it difficult for yourself down the road in regards to actually achieving something beyond Dollar Tree Sales Associate. It's not impossible to overcome a degree in Philosophy to do something like Ecology, but you've basically guaranteed that at some point, you're going to have to go back to school for yet another bachelor's degree in something actually useful, which may not be ideal. Hell, I have a degree in the thing I want to do, and I still have to get more schooling down the road at some point.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Seconding the volunteering thing. I did about two months worth of volunteering for a water quality monitoring nonprofit which led sequentially to meeting a lot of new people and even a job offer (for such an abysmal sum that I joined a jobs program instead). People like people who work hard and are decent, and if you keep blowing up their phones looking for unpaid work, they will go out of their way to find some way to pay you back.

Try to find volunteer stuff that will teach you new skills. Many organizations are fine with teaching volunteers new skills if you're willing to stick around. I got my Faller 3 cert and my CPR/AED/First Responder at the behest of a Land trust that liked that I kept showing up to their events.

• Locked thread