Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElectricNeonPanda
May 11, 2014
I'm 27 - been living at home but am now finally in the process of moving out.

I graduated in 2012 with a degree in advertising. A year before I graduated I realized sadly that it wasn't really for me, but I was so close to graduating I decided to just stick it out and not switch majors and pick up more debt. I graduated, and literally didn't do jack poo poo for almost a year. I had a lot of depression issues in university, which led me to getting very close to me trying to kill myself and realizing I needed help while at school. After graduation I just spent time at home on the internet and playing games not really knowing what to do or where to loving go. I had a degree in something I wasn't really passionate about and didn't really know what I wanted to do with my life.

A friend of mine hooked me up with a fast food job and I told myself I would only do this because it was a way to earn money while I look for that real, adult first full-time job. I ended up spending more than 3 years there because I got comfortable and complacent, and I really didn't know what I wanted to do. I felt like a loving loser serving lovely teenagers for minimum wage. Plus my parents were supportive initially and understanding, but once I spent a couple years here I could tell they were sick of me working at a fast food place.

Luckily a friend of mine noticed I wasn't doing so well and pointed me in the direction of a temp agency that helped recent college grads. It took a while, but I finally got a position through them doing basic data entry stuff at a local hunger-relief non-profit. As part of working there I had to do a few shifts in a food bank, and seeing homeless and truly needy people really kind of lit a fire in me. It showed me while I was depressed about not having enough money to go out to bars or whatever with my friends, these were people who were actually, really struggling and the stupid poo poo I was complaining about didn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. I also liked the idea of the work I was doing not lining a CEO's pockets and actually helping people.

My temp period ended with them and I just kind of drifted for a few months. Eventually they actually called me up, and wanted me to come in and interview for a full-time position since I guess they liked me during my temp period. I've been full-time there for a while now and I finally have enough saved to move out on my own and get my poo poo started.

So yeah. I guess be persistent and you just gotta keep moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread