Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Is UglyCat crazy, or is he just a common or garden crust punk? Plenty of them out there, just visit Portland or Tompkin's Square Park in Manhattan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Imposter syndrome is a thing, and tbp is probably underrating themself a bit, but no, luck is far more important than people (especially successful wealthy people) acknowledge. It's good to know that at least one person in finance isn't deluding themselves into thinking that their success comes from being a genius übermensch.

Knowing how to take advantage of luck is a huge skill. Some people can throw away a lot of luck.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

(if you're interested in and capable of studying both CS and English, you may well want to choose the former!)

This was actually me. Boy, was I lucky that I randomly picked CS because I thought it would "challenge" me more! Because I didn't get any guidance that it was a better choice at all.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Ornithology posted:

Moral of the story didn't study jazz guitar study computer science if you want a job

That's the secret - for now. That way of thinking also led to a glut of lawyers a few years back. Probably good odds for someone picking their degree right now, assuming they have decent aptitude for code and don't hate the thought of being in a cubicle making for-loops for the next 50 years.

• Locked thread