Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nunes
Apr 24, 2016

Imaduck posted:

I think he's just saying that he ended up with a better-than-average job than his colleagues, and that's not necessarily because he was "better" or worked harder than his colleagues with similar backgrounds.

It's important to not get mired in "everything is luck, everything good anyone has is due to luck, therefore I shouldn't do anything and just hope to get lucky." On the same note, it's important to not go to the other extreme and think that all the success you've had is just a result of how great you are. Highly successful people tend to over-emphasize their personal part in success. Highly unsuccessful people tend to over-emphasize how unlucky they are. The truth is in the middle.

I feel like there is a lot of hard work and preparation that goes into success, and there is a small element of luck.

In my case, I was a waste through my 20's and didn't get my poo poo together until just a few years ago. I languished working poo poo retail jobs while doing school at night but not as seriously as I could have. Took me almost 13 years to finish a 4 year degree this way. I eventually had that moment where I utterly hated everything about myself and decided to do something about it. I started to apply myself and focus my effort. I then got myself that career shift by taking a Unix system administrator position working overnights. I kept working hard and was rapidly getting promoted. Currently I am now a director.

The hard work and preparation comes into play in going out and finding these opportunites. Once one presents itself, then being able to make the most out of it. In my case, I believe that luck factored in how rapidly I was promoted. I joined this company at just the right time to ride a wave of explosive growth. This however, would not have happened if I did not put in a lot of hard work on my end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread