Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
10-Shot
Aug 5, 2016
I graduated in 08 right when poo poo was bad. I managed to snag a nurse as a fiancee so I wasn't living at home, but I certainly wasn't able to fully support myself. I got a job as a security guard and worked up to head scheduler indirectly in charge of 700 guards at 80 some odd sites. I was making enough to support myself at that point. Then my fiance decided to abort our twins, despite being a born again christian (Presbyterian myself) and we broke up.

To me abortion = murder so my twins getting aborted had the same effect. Luckily I leveraged the phone skills I had learned getting useless security guards to actually show up to work and got a sales job with the help of my uncle at a distributor he worked with. However the whole twins being murdered thing lead to me doing enough drugs to go quite mad, ended up having the police take me in to a crazy house and landed at home a few month better. I can own a gun again as of about a month ago so I'm officially not crazy anymore, which is nice.

I was at home living at my parents house for about 6 months before giving life another go. Funny enough I was not getting a stellar recommendation from my previous employer. I had hosed at bad enough that I was basically back to college graduate levels now except also a huge fuckup. It was becoming more and more apparent that a life of low level retail was in my near future if something didn't change.

I did what any gently caress up with sales skills would do and got a door to door sales job ripping people off on their energy bill. The product was so bad I wasn't allowed to say "this will save you money" and the call in confirmation to my company would include them making sure the customer understood (this is about verbatim) "we are not saying this will save you any money, do you understand that we are saying there is no promise of cost savings by accepting this service and agree to a $100 dollar cancellation fee should you decide to discontinue service?" I saw not only 1000's of utility bills but over 100 people come into the office, try the job, fail at the job, and leave. One of our top salesmen had 8 kids with 8 different baby momma's, was about to go to jail for not paying taxes for 5 years, and lived in a truck/the manager apartment.

I first got out of my parents house by being really good at this job. Top level sales people in our branch had the award of the manager allowing you to live in his apartment. If you turned him down, you where typically fired if your numbers slumped. It was a fraternity house for people who either never went to college (branch manager) or never wanted to leave college (2 of the supervisors). Once a month we would all drop about a grand or so in the city doing drugs, drinking, and picking up girls. I was once relentlessly made fun off for not loving a passed out chick I brought home and my manager called dips.

After this I decided it was time to get another job at any cost. I ended up living in an SUV in brooklyn working for a copier company selling Kyocera's making less than half as much. What are Kyoceras you ask? Why the number one copier in China! They blow cannon and Xerox out of the water for 75% of the price!

lol they sometimes catch on fire and have absolute poo poo print quality.

I leveraged this job to working for a regional copier distributor selling canon and sharp copiers and finally moved out of my parents house. My first year I made more than I did the year I went crazy. I leveraged this job to get a job working for one of NYC's top 3 copier companies making even more and am now a lazy manufactures rep for components used in mass production robots. I have a stay at home wife, a new baby girl, and a bright future.

Never give up, never stop moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10-Shot
Aug 5, 2016

a dog from hell posted:

I am pretty tired of being a gently caress up but I didn't like college so I'm going to become a plumber or something. In the mean time there are decent manufacturing jobs in this area. I can save a couple grand and move in with some of my fellow gently caress ups from high school back home. Unfortunately a large proportion of them are addicted to drugs and I am pretty reckless myself.

Spent the last 3 years working retail, dating and roaming the US. Wound up in my parents' basement (lol goon stereotype). It sucks but it's a lot better than sleeping in my car.

Resisted every type of conformity and beneficial structure, did impractical things because of my dreams.

Economic distress is a fact. The special snowflake things carries water. It's a confluence of circumstances and it's difficult to pinpoint who to blame. I can certainly understand why millenials are obnoxious but its not like we popped up out of nowhere, this culture and economic climate were handed down to us.

You'll make a good amount of money as a tradesmen, more than the average 4 year graduate. It's not a fuckup job if it's skilled. I used to rent from a guy who installed fiber optic cables.

Don't move in with dudes who do drugs if you have a problem with it, it goes to a dark place man.

"I can certainly understand why millenials are obnoxious but its not like we popped up out of nowhere, this culture and economic climate were handed down to us."

Why do you care? The problem is the problem just move on from it and go be you.

• Locked thread