Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Another thing, and I don't hear this mentioned much, what with the mad rush by the boomers/x-ers to poo poo on millennials, is that it used to be TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY hosed to live at home after HS.

Think about it: the average single-family home size in 1963 was ~1250 square feet and average number of children was like 3.2. That means that you're living in a tiny bedroom - probably in bunk beds - with your little brother and 1 motherfucking bathroom in the whole house. Just finding private time to beat off was a non-trivial task. Oh yeah, and Mom's always home, so you gotta have sex at drive-ins and poo poo.

Then in my time(graduated in 1984) two kids was the norm, and house were a little larger(~1750 square feet average) so you had your own bedroom, but you're still up in everybody's poo poo for the most part 'cause most homes were still single-story, so getting the gently caress out of there was a pretty high priority. Plus, there were still a fair number of stay-at-home moms, so alone time was minimal.

Nowadays(well, up 'til 2008, har har) newer houses are loving enormous two-story monstrosities - 2500 to 3000 square feet in many areas) and a lot of families either have one kid or are blended with a teenager and toddler in the same household, so it's relatively easy to live at home and not uncommon to have minimal contact with anybody else that lives there. Plus both parents work and commute and aren't home near as much as back in the day.

So yeah, I can't blame younger people for not having the fire lit under their rear end to mop floors for seven bucks an hour so they can share a dingy one-bedroom apartment with somebody else. It doesn't make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Scudworth posted:

This isn't due to home sizes, previously it was expected you got married out of college or even right out of high school, and the lack of birth control and options for work and education for women facilitated this. The reasons people left home early were different but equally hosed up.

I'm not saying your wrong, but you're arguing a different point than the one I'm making - I'm using the Boomer post-HS living situation to contrast today's post-HS kids' living situation, not trying to argue that there was no other reason people left home early back in the day.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

chemosh6969 posted:

You should read up some if you think the economy was more functional in the past. There was a recession in the 80s that's much worse than what we've seen this century.

Unless that was a typo and you meant '30's, you're completely full of poo poo.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

adorai posted:

The early 80's sucked rear end with very high interest rates, high unemployment, high inflation, and no economic growth. Google 'stagflation'.

I don't have to Google it, I lived it and it really sucked, especially for people on fixed incomes. I had to find my first job in '81.

That said, the 'stagflation' period started quite a bit earlier(the term, I believe was coined by Ford's economic advisors) and really kicked into top gear during the Second Energy Crisis, the one everybody forgets about, in 1979, after the Iran/hostage bullshit. It certainly continued through Reagan's first term, but the economy picked up pretty well by '83 and inflation declined throughout the '80's. There was the stock market fart in '86, but the next real deep recession didn't hit 'til '90 or '91(Bush 1 and 'it's the economy, stupid')

There's a good reason the '08 economic catastrophe is called 'the Great Recession', and that's because in terms of the average American, nothing's hit as bad as that since the '30's, because it wasn't just 'Daddy lost his job', it was 'we lost our house'. An big chunk of an entire generation of people saw their dreams and wealth evaporate overnight, then blow into the hands of the investor classes. Many of these people will die, still renting.

The closest thing in terms of household destruction to '08 that I can think of is the Rust Belt phenomenon between ~1973 - mid/late '80's, where entire regions withered and died and nobody really gave a gently caress because they were just vestiges of the prior 'industrial revolution' and it's now the 'information age'.

I'm from blue-collar people but we avoided that fate because my father was smart and talented enough to get into ultra-precision semiconductor tooling at the dawn of the computer age, but there were a helluva lot of good people just cast aside when steel making and heavy manufacturing just didn't matter anymore because we could just buy poo poo overseas.

Even -that- wasn't as bad as '08. The reverberations from '08 aren't even over yet, and the statistical analysis of the resulting trends just keeps looking worse.

JnnyThndrs fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 7, 2016

• Locked thread