Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

When I was 19, I told my uncle that I wanted to get into video game development. He told me that was dumb and should instead go into something reliable like IT, because "most people don't make it."

I spent four years in IT wavering between depressed to borderline suicidal before I tossed everything I was taught the last 24 years and went after video game development. I now work in video game development, an extremely happy and make enough money to have a decent 401k, even though it's not "thousands per month".

The advice you give is awful and while you are clearly OK with taking whatever job makes the most financial sense, I would rather love my job and be comfortable instead of loathe going to work and be loaded.

The message you should be sharing is, "do what you want, but be ready to work very hard for it and have a backup plan", not "gently caress your dreams spoiled millennial, go into commerce! That's where the money is!"

Anyway, the important take away here is that your advice is bad and you probably shouldn't enforce your values on others.

It's important to note that your success in getting into game development was probably helped along greatly by having a good chunk or work experience in a related field. There are a huge amount of fresh-out-of-school applicants who expect to get their dream job with little experience. The thing is, they're untested and might change their mind when they actually have to turn their "passion" into "work. Slap 3-5 years of work experience on that same person, and you have someone with MUCH greater potential to be a good team member. So, telling someone to get a "practical" degree, and put some time in at a sure-fire, lucrative job while planning on attempting a transition into their "dream job" is a great idea. Not only do you get that experience and pay that make a transition to a hard-to-get and maybe lower paying dream job, but you also are strengthening your backup plan in the meantime.

When I started out (2007 college grad), my "passion" was to get into a research/professorship position in geology. However, during my undergrad I realized that a life in academia wasn't for me, as it involved a huge time investment, a saturated job market, and nearly as much if not more political jockeying as actual science/teaching. Instead, I jumped into a "soulless" position in environmental consulting. I spent 8 years getting underpaid and overworked, being depressed, and trying to get out. However, in the same time, I was able to help my wife transition from bleak prospects after leaving college with only an art degree and a catering gig. She went back to school for a certificate in something practical, and eventually (after her fair share of "soulless jobs") ended up in a professional setting, working a decent job for a non-profit that helps people. When that was set, I quit my horrible job, took some time to network, work on hobbies, and volunteer, and now have a position that works in watershed management and soil conservation. But the reason I was able to get that position was that I also had years of in-field experience, a number of projects under my belt, and enough of a financial cushion to leave my old job.

I hate to use a Mike Rowe quote, but he was on to something when he said "don't follow your passion, but always bring it with you". You need to eat, and working in a tough, lovely job can also give you a bunch of skills, both personal and technical, that will absolutely translate into the job you want in the long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread