Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Thin Privilege posted:

What? High school success is only relevant when you're applying for college. And even then you can be a huge successful person who went to poo poo University or be a total failure despite going to Harvard.

No one gives a gently caress that I had a 4.5 GPA and 35 ACT and also I'm a total goony failure.

On the other hand I've learned a ton of stuff from reading these forums so it's not all bad being a goon :/

Lots of colleges give out merit based scholarships that are based on HS GPA and/or SAT/ACT scores. If you came to my school, you'd get the top admissions merit scholarship with those scores. Depending on where you live, you can also be out of state but get a reduced non-resident rate or even an exception for resident rates.

WampaLord posted:

Our parents could pay for college tuition with a few hours at a part time job at minimum wage because it was cheap as gently caress.

As someone that's worked in financial aid for awhile and is one of those parents, I don't know about that.

These days, I see more students than I should that say "I'll get this degree and then see what I can do with it" while not pursuing outside scholarships or internships, and accepting the maximum amount of loans because simply because that's the amount available to them and not actually thinking anything in regards to budgeting or what it'll take to pay anything back. It's all now now now.

For the students that do pursue outside scholarships, many students have their parents write essays for them and those are often obvious, especially when mommy and daddy call in to do everything for the student. Then there's the students that write one generic essay which doesn't really answer the essay topic but it's close enough for them to not have to put in the effort to tailor it for the scholarship. They lose out to the student that puts a little more effort into it and tailors it to exactly what the essay is asking.

And then there's a few students that do a lot of work racking up as many scholarships as they can, to the point where they're getting far more than what they need to pay for school each term. I'm talking about double digit ranges in refunds for the year.

A lot of the rage regarding tuition exploding needs to be put on the state. They've all been cutting funding they used to provide. The money isn't going to come out of thin air. The worst example I've seen is Illinois. They didn't even have a budget at all until the very end of the fiscal year and students weren't getting the aid they were supposed to because of this. To put it lightly, don't got to school in Illinois.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

After I graduated, I worked with a company for a few years and then ended up getting a job at the college I graduated from. You don't even need to have a degree related to the job you're going after, they're mainly looking for people that have a degree in anything. Once you get your foot in the door with whatever entry level job you can get, that's when you can start job hopping to other departments you'd rather work at. Even entry level, you should be getting good benefits and if there's a union, that'll help with the benefit erosion that management strives for. Plus, if you have direct loans you can probably get your loan forgiven after awhile from working at the school, where in the meantime you probably had your loan payments adjusted based on income. That being said, you'd be ahead if you focus on collecting scholarships as a job instead of accepting loans as your first choice of financial aid.

My degree's in IT/Programming yet I'm working in financial aid but since I know programming/databases/other IT junk, I end up automating or improving whatever processing we do, along with doing any computer related tasks, like website updates.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Imaduck posted:

Sure, but you have to keep in mind that 18 year-olds probably don't have the best context for how to plan for their future.

I completely agree. We do mandatory financial aid classes during orientation but lots of parents/students show up and play on their phones the entire time until it's over.

My high school had a budgeting class during senior year and the big project for that was to create a budget based on your imaginary job. You also had to look into investments and other types of savings.

The problem with that, at least for me, was that you get to pick whatever job you want, so it's not all that accurate once you move out. I would have been a lot better off if they talked about food stamps, hud, and whatever other public assistance you can get. I didn't know about applying for any of that. I mean I knew it all existed but I was living in a shithole, and ramen noodles from the dollar store were a luxury I could only partake of once every couple of days. I was too busy starving and being in misery to remember I could apply for things I never had any experience with. Eventually I had a choice to either pay for food or not pay rent. I choose food and got to not live in an apartment anymore. Then that life wasn't too great either so I joined the Air Force.

But now I know all these things that sure would have been nice to know then. On the other hand, I wouldn't have gone to college if I didn't go military so I guess things turned out ok.

Abu Dave posted:

I think if you ask most people who are poor or on minimum wage which two options would they rather take now:

A: Get a full time job and a part time job and live "comfortably"
B: Get a full time job and 15 hours of college a week and be straddled with debt

I see B a lot, minus the job because they use their student loans to pay for rent, new car, and that new apple computer that they just have to have for class.

If I was to give anyone advice towards moving out of their parents house, either for college or just to get out, it would be to try and see if they can get into any HUD programs first. Then work on food stamps. I'd rather also advise someone to live in a one bedroom apartment partially/fully funded by HUD instead of getting someplace bigger with a bunch of roommates and then finding how fast poo poo sucks when one of them decides to bail and you can't afford the rent anymore. And learn to live without cable tv unless you can actually afford it. I also don't expect anyone to take this advice because they always know better or they won't have this happen to them, it's just everyone else but at least they might remember food stamps and HUD.

Pron on VHS posted:

Don't follow your dreams, just find a job that pays the bills and use the rest of your time to enjoy life.

Robbing banks does work too, I guess.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

GORDON posted:

Remove the ability to pay for college on loans, and watch the cost of a college degree drop like a stone.

Not really and that won't happen either.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

GORDON posted:

If you think continuing to give their customers unlimited resources is the way to keep colleges from keeping their prices high, then sure. I'm glad I took Econ 111 before it got too expensive, though, so I don't think it works that way.

I work at a university alongside budgeting. In our state, we had to raise tuition is due to the fact that the stated decided to start cutting back on how they funded us about 10 years ago. The money has to come from somewhere. Colleges also do things to offset tuition rates going up, that you don't see in bar graphs of tuition costs. We've been offsetting tuition raises with lowering fees, so it ends up about even. Plus there's always some new program to help with lower income students.

Getting rid of loans would screw a lot of people, even those with high EFCs. Just because you have a high EFC doesn't actually mean you're family is able to contribute that amount.

chemosh6969 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 21, 2016

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

photomikey posted:

Rewind 15 years to 1980 and there's no video games... Computers existed, but it's not like you could kill time on one. Certainly not weeks or months, probably not even hours.

As someone alive back then, there were home video games and arcades. Lots of arcades. For video games, there was that massively popular Atari 2600 that came out in the late '70s.

We also had a computer and you could spend a shitload of time on them learning to program and do poo poo.

We had cabinet style tv set with knobs and 12 channels (2-13) , a vcr with a wired remote, a microwave, and rotary phones.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

photomikey posted:

For more fun, add in confusion about why you got kicked off foodstamps because you couldn't "prove" you were looking for work, when you were actually busy... not looking for work.

Maybe the working was producing drum circle music and for some reason those bureaucrats up in Washington DC don't consider that working. Maybe hitchhike the drum circle band and play out in front of the White House until they take notice and fix the rules.

He should consider writing an ebook or something because lots of people eat this poo poo up.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

tbp posted:

the older generations had more stable markets and could participate in more functional economies

You should read up some if you think the economy was more functional in the past. There was a recession in the 80s that's much worse than what we've seen this century.

But what do I know, I'm just old and have life experience.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

JnnyThndrs posted:

Unless that was a typo and you meant '30's, you're completely full of poo poo.

Whatever you say, Corky.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_1980s_recession
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/21/business/economy/21leonhardt.html

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

The last recession was substantially more severe than the 1980s recession, this isn't even a close-run thing.

What would you know? You're Jeb Bush.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

To anyone that goes "hurr, that chart is from a comic blog", if you add "sources" to the end of the url, you can download a giant list of what was used.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Lampsacus posted:

tbh all this thread has shown us is that there are some lovely older goons out there who have fallen into the whole 'back in my day' mentality trap. But thankfully, they are outnumbered. Cheers for that info graph. Putting real life stuff like money, income, time into graphics like that is always rather confronting.

yeah, gently caress history. what's to learn from it

that graph came from an old guy too

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Fried Watermelon posted:

Maybe if you weren't a goddamn retard your life wouldn't be as hard.

If you actually look at the numbers in history and compare them today you can clearly see that the 2008 recession is and still is far worse than the 1980's.

We now have a generation of people who no longer will be able to afford a permanent home, and yet you still complain that it was hard in the 80s.

Your anecdotal evidence means nothing to sheer facts and data.

Maybe you should do some real work and actually look up evidence before you spout nonsense and blame people for your ignorance.

Thanks for the examples. You proved your point.

Lampsacus posted:

yeah i'm referring to the whole 'pull your self up from your bootstraps' odor from some of the earlier posts in this thread, not 'gently caress history'.

oops, sorry.

I know bootstraps gets you to a point but if you don't have luck or don't bother networking, it only gets you so far.

chemosh6969 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 16, 2016

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Claverjoe posted:

Also, born U.S. citizen, you can't tell me that is something I have control over, and that was an absolute requirement. I don't really have any control over that.

You have a lot of control when it comes to social networking. If you don't do it, you don't have it.

If you're getting you're talking to people, you're getting your name out there and then they remember who and what you are. That guy you talk to might play poker with a guy at a company that's looking for someone with your skills and he's going to let him know about you. The more people you know, the better the chance you'll hear about poo poo.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Thursday Next posted:

The olds and their advice of "do what you love!!!!!!" is a crock of boiled doody. You used to be able to do that, because - as a white, decently-educated person from the suburbs, you could always go get a decent job. Getting jobs that paid quite well (even enough for a house and a car and a family!) was simple. So absolutely - it was fine to spend a few years trying to make it as a guitar player. You could always "sell out" and you'd be out virtually nothing.

Leave it to Beaver isn't based on a true story or world.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

veni veni veni posted:

After 14 years of living on my own I started crashing in my parents guest room after losing my house and job over the course of one week 7 months ago. I've honestly never been so depressed in my life. I'm working another job but the pay isn't very good and I literally can't afford a place now because rent has more than doubled in the last few years here. Apt hunting (even finding a roommate) has proved just completely defeating beyond anything I have ever seen because of all these loving transplants that won't stop moving here.

I seriously want to leave. I just got back from Tampa and I kind of just want to move there. Cheaper rent and I like the climate and I want to live near water instead of being landlocked. Then again I have no job out there, the only people I know are my in laws (my bros wife) who I just met but they are really cool, it's not like I'm close with them or anything, and honestly I don't like the idea of being that far away from my family. I am pretty close with them for the first time in my life and my parents aren't getting any younger. Really have no idea what to do but I think my mental health and ego is going to completely erode into nothing if I stay in this situation much longer.

I really don't know how to get the ball rolling right now. To top it all off I had one year left in my bachelors "took a short break" and managed to get myself into default on my student loans so I hosed myself there too because I'm an idiot.

Edit: lol sorry for the E/N as gently caress post I just randomly ran into this thread and it rang a little close to home.

Have you looked into HUD and food stamps?

I know some people refuse to because of pride and crap.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

failing forward posted:

People with a BA in the humanities often have more transferable skills.

Anyone that does a resume class or their own research can find how to turn most skills into something transferable.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Oxxidation posted:

I already want to hurl a brick at this idiot's head.

He's not making it up. I remember seeing that change through schools when my kids went.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Oxxidation posted:

I was also hearing it as I was going through school. To the extent that this trend actually exists, it's pushed by the parents. The kids don't give a poo poo.

The latest generation by and large exists under the shadow of constantly impending ruin, financial or otherwise, and does their best to deal with it. Anyone these days who keeps pushing the lazy/coddled/entitled/participation trophy line needs to have their head shoved in a toilet bowl until the bubbles stop coming up.

I still see this where I work now, with parents writing essays for their kid to try and get scholarships. Some don't even pretend their kid wrote it, the parent will call in and say everything they've done and how come little Johnny didn't win all the scholarships when they wrote such an amazing essay for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I also threw out that fedora.

You threw out your magic fedora that got you where you are today?

• Locked thread