Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Azuth0667 posted:

I'm confused here are you legitimately angry or making fun of people?

I'm guessing from the charming wit and writing style, he's mid-to-late 40s, divorced and realizing that pretty young women aren't interested in touching his penis no matter the cash he splashes, thus all of the younger generation are assholes. So, put me down for guessing blue-balls angry.

As for me on the OP's question, I lucked into a fabulous job after I finished grad school after treading water doing a postdoc at a local university to be near my then-girlfriend, now wife. It was literally a case of my old professor being called up, asked "We need a U.S. citizen with knowledge of XYZ fields, and you do research in that field, graduate anyone recently who even remotely fits the bill, cause we needed somebody last year" and him recalling that yeah, I graduated last year and giving me a call. Before that call I was seriously considering turning into yet another semiconductor company chip-geek.

Now I work at a government lab more or less choosing projects I want to work on because they are supremely short staffed in pretty much every department here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Getting a great job (one that pays above ~$15/hr and has some stability) in most science fields is a lot harder than you think in physical sciences. Funding hasn't improved for well over a decade for anything besides NIH and related foundation work, and the number of graduates is still increasing. Shouldn't you be old enough to remember when NASA was getting 4% of the federal discretionary budget?

adorai posted:

Your description is spot on for luck simply being the intersection of preparation and opportunity. It wasn't dumb luck -- you were the right person for a unique opportunity that presented itself at the right time. If you had not done what you had done (which is get an education and make an impression on a professor) you would not have the job you got.

Also, born U.S. citizen, you can't tell me that is something I have control over, and that was an absolute requirement. I don't really have any control over that. They didn't even want a naturalized citizen since that would imply possible close family relationships with non-U.S. nationals.

The Dipshit fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Sep 22, 2016

• Locked thread