Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I think "expectations" are a big problem. I've watched for decades the idea that one MUST go to college, one MUST have a job at a desk in front of a computer being clever and creative, and one MUST have all the creature comforts to which their parents made them accustomed right out of the gate, or it isn't worth pursuing.

1. There is nothing wrong with being an ordinary person with an ordinary job.
2. Almost no one starts out with 30 years of success under their belt.... your first apartment will be lovely.
3. Be a plumber. Be an electrician. Be an HVAC person. Your fingernails will be dirty, but your work will always be in demand, you'll charge $100/hour for your time with 3 years of experience, and you wont have crushing college debt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Remove the ability to pay for college on loans, and watch the cost of a college degree drop like a stone.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

James Garfield posted:

Maybe if by "eliminate student loans" what you really mean is "restore government funding"

If you think continuing to give their customers unlimited resources is the way to keep colleges from keeping their prices high, then sure. I'm glad I took Econ 111 before it got too expensive, though, so I don't think it works that way.

Check out the correlation between cost of a college education, and the advent of student loans, sometime.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cos...chrome&ie=UTF-8

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

10-Shot posted:

Don't move in with dudes who do drugs if you have a problem with it, it goes to a dark place man.

Seriously. Don't deliberately put yourself in a hole, you'll never get out of it.

There's no reason you can't live a good, middle class life as blue collar. Put 10% of your pay right into the bank first thing, stop spending all of your disposable income on drugs (if that applies), because that is just an escape. Get a couple cheaper leisure-time activities for evenings after work, like a Netflix account and Steam... lots of cheap games. There, your monthly entertainment budget just dropped to 20 a month giving you cash for a couple nights out on the town. And MOST IMPORTANTLY... start some type of fitness routine. Join a gym or something. Being healthy and fit... even just working on becoming healthy and fit... your mood will lighten and will change your entire outlook on life. And you might even meet some new people who don't do drugs all day.

It isn't all that hard to get your poo poo together, and you'll be surprised how other people will be drawn to you for that reason alone.

Ah to be young and single again, your whole life ahead of you. Sigh.

But beware: if you start getting your poo poo together, get your own cheap place that's YOURS and start filling your hours with stuff other than drugs... the old druggy people WILL try to take advantage of you. You're going to get requests to crash on your couch to 'sleep it off,' or want to chill in your place because they got evicted, or whatever. Then you end up with unwanted roommates smoking in your living room all day, eating your food, and not doing dishes. This is how people are. If you want to rise to a regular life, you'll have to sever from the people in the hole.

GORDON fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Aug 22, 2016

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Lampsacus posted:

yeah i'm referring to the whole 'pull your self up from your bootstraps' odor from some of the earlier posts in this thread, not 'gently caress history'.

I once told a relative, WHEN HE ASKED MY ADVICE, that if he put down the bong now and then and left the house he would have an easier time finding a job. He just scoffed and called me a "bootstrapper." So yeah, that accusations means nothing any more.

• Locked thread