Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morning Bell
Feb 23, 2006

Illegal Hen

Blurred posted:

I too come from Australia, and in his "advice" I see the same kind of petty, small-minded, casually-xenophobic, suburban, small-c conservatism that made me leave the country in the first place.

I am also from Australia and this post is spot on. Also bitching about "The Millennials" is really lazy and boring and it would be cool if we stopped this petty bullshit.

For example I was super obese and sad all the time when I was much younger, and I was bitter about everything and played lots of computer games because it was easier than dealing with problems. But then I joined a gym and worked out a lot and ate well and learned to cook, and then after a year or two I felt alright and now like a decade on I am a really happy person because I gained a "I can improve and learn stuff always" worldview and also known what it's like to be sad/fat/etc so can empathize and not take poo poo for granted. Please work out regularly, it will make you happier.

But yes job poo poo is hard in this day and age especially if your interests lie outside of a lucrative field like STEM. But there is more to life than work. I know plenty of genuinely happy people who sling coffee or push paper at an office for a day-ob, and work on meaningful poo poo outside the 9-5 - like art or writing or music or volunteering or do a sport seriously or whatever the hell gives them meaning. Gross oversimplification, I know, but life can be cool and fun even if your job is not (though this is coming from an Australian perspective - I hear poo poo is way harder on the other side of the pond). But yea, sometimes you have to try lots of different things, and put lots of effort into each thing, for a lot of time, before you find something that clicks. Don't half-rear end poo poo. Also travelling and working in a different country can really shake up your mind - I did that for a couple of years and it was the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread