Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dan Quayle Treasure Trail
Dec 28, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r-Jw3x-XUM

latest from g o a!

Dan Quayle Treasure Trail fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Monkey Fracas posted:

this sounds so rad as poo poo it has to be made up
Nah it's what people used to say people like Noisia and The Upbeats were putting out before that whole scene just turned into navel gazing hot garbage.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Monkey Fracas posted:

it is rad as poo poo or anyway it was 10 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrHCn69rppg

and now i am told it's back which is also rad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHeqodT8Y8g

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Roylicious posted:

Oh snap Brits were into Trance in the late 90s and early 2000s! No poo poo but that isn't what I'm talking about why don't you read the words before you just decide things are either popular or not like it's a binary thing.

You're kind of a double moron here because obviously EDM was super popular in the late 90s before it faded away and had a resurgence again in the late 2000s so you're talking about 2 totally different time periods. And yes, by the way, it was getting 'mainstream' during then as well. Just look at TV shows like the X-files where they are in dance clubs and raves and talking to goth/club kids.

Again: obviously people listened to EDM, it's always been 'popular,' but 2010 is when the decent parties started drying up in favor of massive events and every Dick and Jane company had EDM drops in their advertising material and all the US Top 20 artists started working with trance artists.

All I'm saying is I can't wait until the next music fad really takes off so there are more small underground parties again.
Please be part of the brave new wave of dance music and overdose while trying to enjoy Rex the Dog's last EP with some 20 year olds.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Clipperton posted:

it is rad as poo poo or anyway it was 10 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrHCn69rppg

and now i am told it's back which is also rad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHeqodT8Y8g
The Black Sun Empire/rebranded Blackout podcast never went away and mainly plays the same stuff as ever 15 years after that whole scene started.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

Monkey Fracas posted:

Neurofunk is real and it blows huge cocks

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

jBrereton posted:

Please be part of the brave new wave of dance music and overdose while trying to enjoy Rex the Dog's last EP with some 20 year olds.

Don't be bitter just because your country is sliding into developing world status.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

jBrereton posted:

The Black Sun Empire/rebranded Blackout podcast never went away and mainly plays the same stuff as ever 15 years after that whole scene started.

good to know someone's keeping the neurofunk dream alive

Dubplate Fire posted:

Neurofunk is real and it blows huge cocks

:smith:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

My hot take- I agree generally that electronic music seems to be the way, for now, that things are headed, as it gives you the most range in sound with the least amount of investment - if you're into piracy it's the cost of a CPU that can adequately run this stuff, and you don't need a supercomputer for 99% of music projects.

That said I think EDM is kinda loving lame, generally. I like stuff that's still exploring darker/harder themes, with one foot firmly in the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er416Ad3R1g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGqeyQhBPMI

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
OP, have you ever even looked at a top 100 chart? Just wondering where your autism stacks up vs the only objective measurement of music popularity in existence?

FYI, JT is rocking #1.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
Those top charts are more and more meaningless every year since they are mostly based on units sold in an era where piracy is rampant and no one is buying albums.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Roylicious posted:

Liberal can just mean left leaning you know.

yeah of course but this is sa we're talking about so i wasn't sure

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Roylicious posted:

Liberal can just mean left leaning you know.

we're working on changing that. Liberal should mean "neoliberal" which should be associated with "fuckstain"

Nicomo
Jan 22, 2015
music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fpg8xvvLLA

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

hemophilia posted:

My hot take- I agree generally that electronic music seems to be the way, for now, that things are headed, as it gives you the most range in sound with the least amount of investment - if you're into piracy it's the cost of a CPU that can adequately run this stuff, and you don't need a supercomputer for 99% of music projects.

That said I think EDM is kinda loving lame, generally. I like stuff that's still exploring darker/harder themes, with one foot firmly in the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er416Ad3R1g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGqeyQhBPMI

Realtalk here the thing I like about electronic music in general is it runs so much of a spectrum with so many styles. Want to just chill out and go an LSD journey? Tipper. Want to go balls out party style all aggressive while on Amphetamines? Excision. Want to just have a great time dancing on the weekend to some sweet lights while dropping Molly? House music. Sometimes you want fun poppy poo poo like Chainsmokers, and sometimes you want some neat synth poo poo like Carpenter Brut.

There's some sort of common theme but I can't tell what it is yet.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

electronic music belongs in the trash with trash like the op

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR
the music in the op is trash from a trash guy who is insecure about if hes keeping up with the times
well youre not

even xfm in the uk still plays nirvana and hendrix and poo poo. good tunes are good tunes, repetitive electronica is crap unless youre high

im gaye posted:

electronic music belongs in the trash with trash like the op

:hfive:

Drunk & Ugly fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 29, 2016

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Fenarisk posted:

Realtalk here the thing I like about electronic music in general is it runs so much of a spectrum with so many styles. Want to just chill out and go an LSD journey? Tipper. Want to go balls out party style all aggressive while on Amphetamines? Excision. Want to just have a great time dancing on the weekend to some sweet lights while dropping Molly? House music. Sometimes you want fun poppy poo poo like Chainsmokers, and sometimes you want some neat synth poo poo like Carpenter Brut.

yeah but that's an entirely semantic category so the spectrum is meaningless. it's like if we classed all primarily guitar driven music together and said wow, this genre has such a big range.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
when did people switch to calling it EDM?

sounds kinda dry

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ArtIsResistance posted:

top 40 is good because it's catchy and catchiness is really the only quality of music that matters to 99% of people (the remaining 1% are autistic)

autism is catching on these days, so you're wrong

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

unsolicited music you wont like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhInemZ1LbM

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Knight posted:

This is why I have Pitchfork media tell me what to like. Indie bands for 30-somethings and only the most generic rap

anything between 6-9 is good on Pitchfork, everything higher and lower than that is complete crap

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Fenarisk posted:

Usually I find that there's a big split in electronic music by drum pattern. Since any kind of song from the trippy to the dark may ultimately rely on some very similar sampling, similar keys, that sort of thing, rhythm can totally alter how a song feels, and is frequently the deciding factor in whether or not a genre is dance-friendly or not. I would say you can groove to something like carpenter brut fine, but you'll have a harder time on it than something that loyally keeps a dance beat. The difference between "real" dubstep and "brostep" tends to be whether or not it's abiding by the traditional dubstep rhythm, which isn't terribly dance friendly, and some people argue the LFO "bass drop" type sound effects are annoying and belong in the other camp.

The way to define these genres is pretty different than played music. It really feels like division of subgenres than the fairly radical differences between real genres. The differences in played music can rely on composition of players and instruments. Like a string quartet, a standard rock band, metal band, pop groups, all call for different setups. Different Rhythms. Different tempos, and the electronic world doesn't have that physical restriction, so it's really weird how different electronic music types can seem entirely separate if you compare the extreme ends of the spectrum, but it's still a spectrum that's fairly unique to itself and you could probably assemble a playlist that eases you from happy hardcore and acid house to Carpenter Brut in a few songs.

Yunvespla
Jan 21, 2016
op why are you like this

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Is it still all about bebop, or is the slower, more melodic west coast sound the thing now?

Yunvespla
Jan 21, 2016
im pretty sure the zigstep is popular as is the fishtrance

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
I know Lor Skoota is yesterday's news.

Worlds Smuggest
Mar 13, 2010
The only electronica stuff I listen to is Electro swing, Celldweller, and remixing of things like spooky scary skeletons.

Music is a individual and cultural preference, not a good or bad.

That said EDM is dumb, musically and culturally, but it has enough hot girls suckered into it that it survives.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Sheep-Goats posted:

Techno genre minutiae faggots are intolerable and all electronic music is second rate at best tyvm

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The dancey stuff is best with drugs. It sounds perfect on molly, because the speed and mdma and all that poo poo is melting your brain and you want 1. happy sounding 2. fast

of course last time I rolled I put Demon Days which isn't fast or happy

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ha2p4Txgmg

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

Rape Stink posted:

Tryhard trend chasing will never be cool. Op eats poo poo

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

White people thinking they understand music will never stop being hilarious.

Oh yeah it's almost as if they think they invented western notation and made music listenable instead of atonal garbage played on a coconut husk.

client
Aug 19, 2010

gbs this is the only song you need for mackin on the ladies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6JJ60Oft2U

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?
ask me more about how early 90's detroit represented the pinnacle of dance music (or actually don't, I just want to share the new dance show clips)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgytZQXaWgQ

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4QY5Z8LBEo

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

hemophilia posted:

The dancey stuff is best with drugs. It sounds perfect on molly, because the speed and mdma and all that poo poo is melting your brain and you want 1. happy sounding 2. fast

of course last time I rolled I put Demon Days which isn't fast or happy

My friends insist on bland folk music stuff when we all roll together and it is the worst poo poo. Give Rustie a shot sometime if you want the most MDMA music known to mankind.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Soundboz posted:

My friends insist on bland folk music stuff when we all roll together and it is the worst poo poo. Give Rustie a shot sometime if you want the most MDMA music known to mankind.

I promised myself to never do it again really. I think it was 2011 last time I did it, and I hate a great time. 2nd best roll of my life. I was utterly satisfied and I dunno... tired of doing it. I never did E/Molly/whatever very much, maybe half a dozen times from 2009-2011, but i'm pretty full up. I'm 26 now and in a lot worse shape. I'm watching my parents fall apart from congenital heart problems that I don't have but who knows what i've got going on... I just can't gently caress with that stuff anymore.

IF I ever do molly again, it will be an amazingly convenient set of circumstances that would allow it, and I'm definitely not looking and I don't associate with that crowd at all anymore.

I'm only saying for the sake of a counter to the "Lol it's all bad" shitposting retards. I think EDM is probably a majority of a terrible genre when you're sober but it absolutely works on uppers, but the fact is drugs change your perceptions and well, what's lovely to me sober is excellent when I'm hosed up.

Also dude, what kind of weirdos play folk music while rolling? What the gently caress? Folk music is way too brainy for that drug. gently caress those people. I'd rather roll with no music tbh.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

pizza pockets fished out of a toilet are also good when youre high

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

not true actaully

• Locked thread