Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

My hot take- I agree generally that electronic music seems to be the way, for now, that things are headed, as it gives you the most range in sound with the least amount of investment - if you're into piracy it's the cost of a CPU that can adequately run this stuff, and you don't need a supercomputer for 99% of music projects.

That said I think EDM is kinda loving lame, generally. I like stuff that's still exploring darker/harder themes, with one foot firmly in the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er416Ad3R1g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGqeyQhBPMI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Roylicious posted:

Liberal can just mean left leaning you know.

we're working on changing that. Liberal should mean "neoliberal" which should be associated with "fuckstain"

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Fenarisk posted:

Realtalk here the thing I like about electronic music in general is it runs so much of a spectrum with so many styles. Want to just chill out and go an LSD journey? Tipper. Want to go balls out party style all aggressive while on Amphetamines? Excision. Want to just have a great time dancing on the weekend to some sweet lights while dropping Molly? House music. Sometimes you want fun poppy poo poo like Chainsmokers, and sometimes you want some neat synth poo poo like Carpenter Brut.

There's some sort of common theme but I can't tell what it is yet.

Usually I find that there's a big split in electronic music by drum pattern. Since any kind of song from the trippy to the dark may ultimately rely on some very similar sampling, similar keys, that sort of thing, rhythm can totally alter how a song feels, and is frequently the deciding factor in whether or not a genre is dance-friendly or not. I would say you can groove to something like carpenter brut fine, but you'll have a harder time on it than something that loyally keeps a dance beat. The difference between "real" dubstep and "brostep" tends to be whether or not it's abiding by the traditional dubstep rhythm, which isn't terribly dance friendly, and some people argue the LFO "bass drop" type sound effects are annoying and belong in the other camp.

The way to define these genres is pretty different than played music. It really feels like division of subgenres than the fairly radical differences between real genres. The differences in played music can rely on composition of players and instruments. Like a string quartet, a standard rock band, metal band, pop groups, all call for different setups. Different Rhythms. Different tempos, and the electronic world doesn't have that physical restriction, so it's really weird how different electronic music types can seem entirely separate if you compare the extreme ends of the spectrum, but it's still a spectrum that's fairly unique to itself and you could probably assemble a playlist that eases you from happy hardcore and acid house to Carpenter Brut in a few songs.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The dancey stuff is best with drugs. It sounds perfect on molly, because the speed and mdma and all that poo poo is melting your brain and you want 1. happy sounding 2. fast

of course last time I rolled I put Demon Days which isn't fast or happy

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Soundboz posted:

My friends insist on bland folk music stuff when we all roll together and it is the worst poo poo. Give Rustie a shot sometime if you want the most MDMA music known to mankind.

I promised myself to never do it again really. I think it was 2011 last time I did it, and I hate a great time. 2nd best roll of my life. I was utterly satisfied and I dunno... tired of doing it. I never did E/Molly/whatever very much, maybe half a dozen times from 2009-2011, but i'm pretty full up. I'm 26 now and in a lot worse shape. I'm watching my parents fall apart from congenital heart problems that I don't have but who knows what i've got going on... I just can't gently caress with that stuff anymore.

IF I ever do molly again, it will be an amazingly convenient set of circumstances that would allow it, and I'm definitely not looking and I don't associate with that crowd at all anymore.

I'm only saying for the sake of a counter to the "Lol it's all bad" shitposting retards. I think EDM is probably a majority of a terrible genre when you're sober but it absolutely works on uppers, but the fact is drugs change your perceptions and well, what's lovely to me sober is excellent when I'm hosed up.

Also dude, what kind of weirdos play folk music while rolling? What the gently caress? Folk music is way too brainy for that drug. gently caress those people. I'd rather roll with no music tbh.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

not true actaully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

coheed has a few songs that i would enjoy a hell of a lot more without the retarded references to the story or whatever. what i'm saying is the band would be much better if almost everything they ever made had entirely different lyrical content.

• Locked thread