Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Wizards are always the coolest. :colbert:

(Ok in Sims games maybe they were only really cool in the Sims 1, but still.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Crafthole? Our neighboring country is named Crafthole? I don't think Eustace will stand for such tacky neighbors.

Clearly we need a Barracks to prepare for the upcoming conquest.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Yapping Eevee posted:

Peteran Monastery so that we might end up with a sane person of the cloth this time.

The two places of worship aren't mutually exclusive, for all it's worth.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
God drat, those facial expressions :magical:

Let us be Wizardly.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

I'm surprised there wasn't any fight music. Here's some for your consideration.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Wizard tower, we need someone with more brains in this kingdom and a wizard has the brains and magic to work around Eustace.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
We need some grand stories and songs to accompany our daily breakfast wine. Build a Tavern!

QuietMisdreavus
May 12, 2013

I'm fine. Nothing to worry about.
If we teach the common folk to live simple lives, they will not have a chance to be more handsome than our fine Monarch. Therefore, we must construct a Peteran Monastery.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Smithy!

How is a king meant to be properly dressed for combat with no-one to make him armour?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

A Peteran Monastery, of course! What self-respecting kingdom could last long without the Church? Why, it's one of the pillars on which the realm rests.

Also that is one hell of a schnoz on Eustace, let's hope his genes don't go all Hapsburg down the line or future monarchs' profiles won't fit on the coins they mint.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
WHAT A DANDY BOY

Edit: Speaking as a bard, raconteur, and alcoholic, I'd be remiss if I didn't exhort your majesty to build a Tavern

Skippy Granola fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 30, 2016

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
PETERAN MONASTERY please and thank you

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Yapping Eevee posted:

Peteran Monastery so that we might end up with a sane person of the cloth this time.

I'm going to second this, on the condition that the priest be as fat as possible.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Put that gold into a Peteran Monastery

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Barracks! Our King is too handsome to be sullied by the grime of combat!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

That's quite enough voting. Very good, then! A Peteran Monastery it shall be! This time around, however, I'm going to be gracious and show you your options in more detail.

First, the fairer sex:

HAIRSTYLES

HATTES

EYED BROWS

OUTFITS

And of course, for the males:

HAIRSTYLES

HATTES

EYED BROWS

BEARDES AND SUCHLIKE

OUTFITS

And for both, the skin colors:

You know the drill. As much or as little detail as you like. However, there shall henceforth be an additional wrinkle: anything you do not specify in your original submission can be decided by anyone who quotes it.

Let us take this previous submission for Monarch as an example:

LogicalFallacy posted:

Our ruler should be Lord Gregory Pinchpennies, a vain haggler who suffers from severe hubris. He's an emaciated chap with a penchant for absurdly ostentatious clothes that are inevitably horribly mismatched on account of his color-blindness. He rules over The Land Arsewise. To the great misfortune of all those who visit him, he fancies himself an interior designer, and his decor tends to be as eye-searing as his clothes.

In this case, anyone could go ahead and define his skin color, hairstyle or hat, eye color, and so on. Even his outfit, really, as long as it's sufficiently ostentatious. But remember, it's first-come, first-serve on this little bit of chaos. No bickering if someone gets to filling in the blanks before you.

Lastly, and most crucially of all, it should be noted that no one poster may have their submission chosen more than once, for selection of future Sims will fall to a vote by council of those goons who have had their submissions chosen. On such occasions where there is an even number of council members, I will participate in the voting process.

You have 24 hours, plus however long Picayune needs to decide after that, to write your submissions.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 30, 2016

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
Our priest should be the humble father Basil Shepherd. A friendly felllow but a bit of a glutton, as his girth shows. Indeed he looks every bit the part of the fat monk, down to the brown robes and tonsure haircut. Although raised a Jacobian, he became a Peteran and later a priest because his kind-hearted and goodly nature clashed somewhat with some of the Jacobian teachings.

Incidentally, can you make shepherd's pie in this game?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Boksi posted:

Incidentally, can you make shepherd's pie in this game?

I don't believe so, no.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

quote:

AUGH GOD IT'S THE JOKER! SOMEONE CALL BATMAN!

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Fashion: Headband hairstyle (#12), eyebrows #5, beard #12 (not counting no beard), outfit #10. Skin colour #3.
Traits: Good, Friendly, Puny.
Name: Gregor Main.

Father Gregor is a man of good humour and sound mind, though also of slightly frail body. Hopefully his presence can help guide Poncealot into a better future... and keep the king from acting on his more foolish desires (although perhaps that is too much to ask).

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Lizard Wizard posted:

selection of future Sims will fall to a vote by council of those goons who have had their submissions chosen.

:unsmigghh:

Awww yeah. Bring it on!

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Horace Lupercale was once a ranking Jacoban father, a scholar with no equal, but his unorthodox views and poorly chosen friends would eventually see him cast out of the Church. This would lead him to the Peteran faith and to dedicate his life to a quest for vengeance, to convert the masses and see his old Church cast down. He won't be, can't be, happy until he succeeds, though, and this has left him the most morose of men.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Brother Olaf Olafsson, is an ex-sea raider and a recent convert to the Peteran faith. He is an Adventurous man who still hears the Call of the Sea from time to time, and is still learning the ropes of the faith (by which we mean that he makes up what he doesn't know). He's trying his best, but his Bloodthirsty nature still comes up from time to time when he's challenged. That said, he really wants to do right by the kingdom and his new faith, and his assignment to this kingdom prves that the Gods really do have a nasty sense of humour.

Hair/Hat: Wolf's Head (Hats, first row, middle)
Eyebrows and beard: The thickest we can manage, Lizard Wizard!
Clothes: Bottom row, rightmost (the red hides the blood, you see)

EDIT: Can submitters support other submitters too? 'Cos if so, I'd like to support Lord Cyrahzax's suggestion:

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Horace Lupercale was once a ranking Jacoban father, a scholar with no equal, but his unorthodox views and poorly chosen friends would eventually see him cast out of the Church. This would lead him to the Peteran faith and to dedicate his life to a quest for vengeance, to convert the masses and see his old Church cast down. He won't be, can't be, happy until he succeeds, though, and this has left him the most morose of men.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 30, 2016

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

CommissarMega posted:

EDIT: Can submitters support other submitters too? 'Cos if so, I'd like to support Lord Cyrahzax's suggestion:

You can certainly provide moral support, but the council (or in this case, Picayune) holds the final say. Also, I should point out that hats and hairstyles occupy the same slot; he or she cannot have both.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lizard Wizard posted:

You can certainly provide moral support, but the council (or in this case, Picayune) holds the final say. Also, I should point out that hats and hairstyles occupy the same slot; he or she cannot have both.

Right then, edited my post to my preferred hat/hair choice.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Rikaard Erikson is one of the most famous Peterian priests in the entire region. Rikaard is unbelievably eloquent, gifted with the skill to enchant crowds of believers with tales of the Watcher's mercy. The only thing that could match his eloquence is his complete dedication to his work: from sunup to sundown, Rikaard is purely and utterly focused on spreading the holy Word. However, there is a reason why he has found himself appealing to preach for a newly-risen King in a second-rate Kingdom: He is not humble in the least. His hubris has led to him being cast out of a number of congregations, as he believed that only he could communicate the Word of the Watcher effectively, leading to conflicts with Jacobans and other Peterians alike.

Fashion: Hairstyle Sides Shaven (#17), Eyebrows #5, Beard/Sideburns/Mustache (#9), Priest Outfit #1, Skin Color #4

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

As we await with bated breath the autocratic outcome of this character creation process, let's send Eustace on another quest, shall we?

The following are available:

quote:

Ominous Tides

Prelude to the War:

Wreckage from a ship has washed ashore in Poncealot and along with it, a survivor of the deadly attack which sunk the vessel.

Is this simply another ship lost to the perils of the open sea, or is danger creeping toward the kingdom?

quote:

Power Grab

Every now and then a King needed to solidify his power lest it be wrested from his grip. Public approval worked on a "what have you done for us lately" principle.

It was time for Lord Eustace to prove his divine right to rule by establishing himself once and for all as the true leader of the land.

quote:

Royal Holiday

Everyone needed to take a vacation sometimes, even a Monarch. Ruling over the people had become a bit tiresome and the time had come to take a trip somewhere that might offer a bit of a break from the day-to-day toils of being the most powerful Sim in the kingdom.

There are other quests currently available, but I'm limiting it to the ones only doable by a Monarch.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Ascending to the throne was hard work, we deserve a vacation!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

CommissarMega posted:

Ascending to the throne was hard work, we deserve a vacation!

One vote is enough for a bored Lizwiz on his day off. Vacation it is!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Brother Kenai Bear

A harry hulk of a man, Brother Bear is an Adventurous and Friendly man, always ready to offer sage advice to a peasant in need or to perform some derring do for his kingdom. He has a deep-seated dislike for the Jacobans, and is always ready to pick a fight with them--and at times his Bloodthirst grows out of control.

Also Vacation

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Going with vacation here.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

CommissarMega posted:

Brother Olaf Olafsson, is an ex-sea raider and a recent convert to the Peteran faith. He is an Adventurous man who still hears the Call of the Sea from time to time, and is still learning the ropes of the faith (by which we mean that he makes up what he doesn't know). He's trying his best, but his Bloodthirsty nature still comes up from time to time when he's challenged. That said, he really wants to do right by the kingdom and his new faith, and his assignment to this kingdom proves that the Gods really do have a nasty sense of humour.

Hair/Hat: Wolf's Head (Hats, first row, middle)
Eyebrows and beard: The thickest we can manage, Lizard Wizard!
Clothes: Bottom row, rightmost (the red hides the blood, you see)

This, but make his nose tiny as poo poo (we gotta balance out the royal schnoz) and make him as massive as possible (aka max out muscle and fat sliders).

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Sordas Volantyr posted:

This, but make his nose tiny as poo poo (we gotta balance out the royal schnoz) and make him as massive as possible (aka max out muscle and fat sliders).
Hobby is sumo wrestling?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The variant levels of quest completion are kind of nice, as a mechanic to encourage relaxing and goofing around as a Sim.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Lord Eustace Goes on Vacation, or "The Shortest Little Update"

So! I believe I promised we'd worry about aspects later, and, well, it's later than it was previously, wasn't it? Kingdom Aspects affect the game in relatively minor, but important, ways. For example, Well-Being keeps Sims from getting sick all the time, and Security stops us being mugged on the way to the Village Shoppe.

You'll notice that all of our Aspect bars are comprised of pale green squares, and Knowledge has one shaded in. That's the point of Knowledge we gained from the previous quest. The pale sections indicate our CAPACITY for each aspect. If we were to do a quest right now that gave 2 Knowledge, one of those Knowledge points would be wasted!

And that, my friends, is one of the functions of buildings: they grant us more Aspect capacity, so I'm going to do something a bit cheeky.

Which is to say plonk down the monastery even though we haven't decided on a priest yet. Always good to have those numbers!

And in the meantime, Eustace is going to have a most Royal Holiday.

The game drops us right where we left off, since no time has passed and we haven't really been away from the Throne Room.

Oh, ad-viiiiii-sor! I feel like a vacation. Where's a good place to hollendaise?
Well, Your Higness, there are two places that I would recommend. The first is a small town called Luffenting nestled among cozy rolling hills. The other is the bustling city of Smortlee. Some of our villagers may know more about these places, so I would encourage walking amongst the people and hearing what they have to say.

This involves buttering up any old rando and then asking them about the place. For now, though, we take care of our obligations, including the slaying of ANOTHER bear...

...and something a bit more interesting. :unsmigghh:

Right, so we're actually going to have to go BUY the parrot, and

wh-

Okay, sure. Have a goddamn swordfight.

That went well enough.

Anyway, we acquire birb, along with a few other items...

...and summarily cackle in glee as the birb divebombs some manner of Tredonian emissary. :confuoot:

Day well spent. CLEARLY this man needs a vacation.

Eustace dreams of a song by The Lonely Island and gets so aroused by the titty jokes that he becomes indefnitely sexually frustrated. :psypop:

Saaaay, how about we kill two birds with one stone? :wiggle:

First, we schmooze her for information...

And then...the dantiest kiss.

C'mon now, we've had war crimes already.

Our other responsibility is to pass an Edict. Edicts are a bit of a thing. They...affect your relationship with annexed territories, I believe? I've never really touched the political side of things in this game, so I'm not sure to what end.

It seems only fitting that we should invest in the lady we're macking on.

However, our edict is not the most popular one, and so we're forced to throw it under the bus. The game said to pass AN edict, not necessarily our own!

With paltry busyowork out of the way, we gain crucial information on Smortlee and are forced to decide our destination.

Bustle AND spectacle? Sounds like Smortlee's the place to be!

The Streets of Smortlee were bustling with activity as Lord Eustace made his way through the crowd.

A man quickly passed by, shouting cheerfully, and put a flier into Eustace's hands. A quick look down revealed that the flier was about two events simultaneously happening later in the day. There appeared to be both a grand tournament in the center square of Smortlee, as well as a grand feast in the local reception hall.

Lord Eustace only had time to attend one of these. Which would it be?

Hmm...you know, grand as a feast sounds, I've still got about half a thermos of Bear Soup left. Lord Eustace shall have dinner AND a show!

The city of Smortlee was quite the scene and the tournament I attended was the height of excitement. There was one sword there that was of particular interest to me - a local work that seemed to harness a mystic power. I must write the Smortlee blacksmith immediatel to see if I can get the forge recipe and have someone make such a blade for me.

We pick some flowers on our way home and WHOOPS. :eyepop:

Level aside, Eustace has developed an urge for combat.

Bye, money. :sigh:

I decide to grab a quick nap and oh cool I guess we wasted our money.

I'm not going to bore you with responsibilities again; I just want to stress that we have like twelve slabs of bear meat at this point.

This plot-mandated duel is a wee bit closer than the one with the bandit, though we still win rather handily.

:toot:

You there! Your clothes are too raggedy, and they offend me.

I demand recompense. I also demand you to ignore this continuity error.

:gonk:

The combination of being already banged up, this lady unexpectedly being armed, and this lady unexpectedly being a PIRATE made this a perilous scrape indeed!

But we manage. :smug:

Before wrapping up, I make drat sure Eustace learns that advanced ale recipe...

...and that's that, really! We've now got a whopping 30 Resource Points to spend, but that can wait.

And oh yes, Eustace finally got a party wing added to the castle.

So, what did we all learn from this?

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 1, 2016

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
Don't try to out-pirate pirates when you're tired?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Don't try to out-pirate pirates when you're tired?

Worked out all right for Eustace. :colbert:

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
Swords are cool and good and Eustace needs to acquire the cooles and the best swords in the land.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
What we learned is that we need someone who isn't a fool for Eustace to bounce off of, that way he doesn't end up nearly defeated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Picayune posted:

:unsmigghh:

Awww yeah. Bring it on!

24 hours have passed. The choice is hereby in your hands, Picayune!

• Locked thread