Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Zorodius posted:

Alan Wake was a bad game, right?

correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Its one of the few times in something mainstream you will hear music from an old band I liked called Poe :sigh:

Eyeneedle
May 13, 2012
Alan Wake had a fairly enjoyable if derivative Stephen King homage story . The combat was so clunky though. The best way to play the game was to cheese it and run from checkpoint to checkpoint.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Rulers of Nations is a great strategy game for all you Paradox grand strategy enthusiasts, and totally not a pile of vomit polluting your hard drive.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Wicker Man posted:

Its one of the few times in something mainstream you will hear music from an old band I liked called Poe :sigh:

Yeah Alan Wake had a sweet soundtrack. Poe, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Barry Adamson, Poets of the Fall. Good stuff.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Eyeneedle posted:

Alan Wake had a fairly enjoyable if derivative Stephen King homage story . The combat was so clunky though. The best way to play the game was to cheese it and run from checkpoint to checkpoint.

:lol: if you don't play all games on the easiest difficulty setting anyway.

Unless you're unemployed I guess.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

symbolic posted:

i've put a bunch of hours into both IV and V and i can say that, from my experience, i prefer the physics and driving in V. also i hated the gritty atmosphere of IV.

but, diff'rent strokes, i suppose

The cars in 4 all drove like they had broken suspension, hosed up u-joints and bald rear end tires. 5 felt like everyone in San Andreas knew how to take proper care of their cars

Also, all DotA-likes are garbage for terrible children and retarded adults.

Resident Evil is a bad series of lovely mechanics and non-sense stories and everytime I see a car in town decked out in Umbrella Corp stickers I want to swerve at it and force them in to a ditch

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I liked Alan Wake

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

cranky rear end wizard bringing it down on some gnarly fungal skeletons from the back of a unicorn pegasus? gently caress yeah. I'da been fooled too.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

CharlestonJew posted:

I liked Alan Wake

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

CharlestonJew posted:

I liked Alan Wake

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Booblord Zagats posted:

Also, all DotA-likes are garbage for terrible children and retarded adults.

it's weird to me that there's such a large competitive following for Dota, which is basically watching people bang their He-man figures together while yelling at each other

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Alan wake was ok but drat did it borrow heavily from twin peaks

Lisa is really loving hard like goddamn the difficulty of enemies fluctuates wildly and the exp for winning doesnt quite seem to match the difficulty of the fight

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The game cartridge for WWI FPS "Battle for the Somme" released actual mustard gas into your home if your character didn't don his gas mask in time.

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
Alan Wake was good. American Nightmare though, not so much.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

Uncle Wemus posted:

Lisa is really loving hard like goddamn the difficulty of enemies fluctuates wildly

I don't even think hard is the right word, imo it just has that problem some rpgs get where there's a few really overpowered tricks and since those are there everything else is kind of 'whatever' and it feels like you're gimping yourself by using substandard tactics(okay, that might just be me...). Specifically, I'm talking about Birdie(?)s gasoline spit move, if you make everyone else a fire user(and there's WAY more fire sources than any other type of elemental damage) you start dealing pretty stupid damage.

Talking from a shaky memory of the mechanics, I kinda just slogged through.

The plot was a really dumb exercise in predestination. I don't think it's a spoiler to say the plot is way too... 'locked.' None of the choices matter at all, and it felt really forced. I didn't expect a happy ending, admittedly, but "You're an rear end in a top hat! You've always been an rear end in a top hat!" Was the Worst Part of Spec Ops, and it works even less effectively here. I might be being overly sensitive, so if I'm reading this wrong, somebody tell me.

All that said, the humor in it is actually really good and I like the guy who made it a lot.

The Joyful was a pile of boring dog poo poo.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Lol dude not every single game is good or bad by virtue of having a linear plot or not. Your character is an rear end in a top hat who was dealt a lovely hand in life and the game is him dealing with it. Complaining that the plot is too linear in a game that is literally about having lovely choices imposed on you is balls on head retarded. May I suggest you try Undertale

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/750402818385731584

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i'm looking at the screenshots on the store page and it actually almost looks like a game. definitely an improvement over the original.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Is it too early to say no mans sky

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Uncle Wemus posted:

I wanna reserve judgement until I see some gameplay.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Applewhite posted:

I wanna reserve judgement until I see some gameplay.

So you are never going to review it lol

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

The Skeleton King posted:

The game is inspired heavily by earthbound. It captures the charming writing and characters aspect of earthbound really well but lacks any depth to its gameplay and is a very ugly game. It also lacks the size that earthbound had, you can blow through it in no time even if you talk to everyone.
The writing is also a bit too touchy feely as well and that turns some people away. I bought the game because I enjoyed earthbound but undertale fell short for me. The writing is good but not quite my kinda thing and the game has little to offer past the writing.

I was one of those dupes that bought it due to the comparison to Earthbound, which is a game I've played through several times in the past 17+ years. I thought it had none of the charm and wit that Earthbound had, and after some time in the game I couldn't really find any good comparison to it. Like Earthbound, it did have some great music, but that didn't save it for me. I thought Undertale was one of those hype-train games that passed me on the station platform. I "get it," and have seen goons wax way too much about how great they think it is, but IMO it felt like someone's first game project where they wanted to be "different."

Had it been a free Flash game that was being passed around I might feel differently, but the absurd fanbase and extreme hype around that game didn't do any justice to it.

I bought LISA a while ago but haven't had time to play it yet.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.polygon.com/2015/12/16/10323192/undertale-gamefaqs-best-game-ever

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Yeah, it's that type of over-positive reaction that made hating Undertale now so hip and cool.

It is good and fun and worth :10bux:

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Haier posted:

I was one of those dupes that bought it due to the comparison to Earthbound, which is a game I've played through several times in the past 17+ years. I thought it had none of the charm and wit that Earthbound had, and after some time in the game I couldn't really find any good comparison to it. Like Earthbound, it did have some great music, but that didn't save it for me. I thought Undertale was one of those hype-train games that passed me on the station platform. I "get it," and have seen goons wax way too much about how great they think it is, but IMO it felt like someone's first game project where they wanted to be "different."

Had it been a free Flash game that was being passed around I might feel differently, but the absurd fanbase and extreme hype around that game didn't do any justice to it.

I bought LISA a while ago but haven't had time to play it yet.

That's pretty much my experience. 10 dollars I could have spent on a better game instead of some guy's interactive webcomic.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Undertale is good but I'd understand if your opinion was skewed by retards never shutting up about it because jfc

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
It was good but if fondled Tumblrs balls a little too hard, I could never get past that while playing it.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

bitmap posted:

thanks MUM

This game actually owns, but like all old school Nintendo platformers you needed the patience to master it or a game genie. If you didn't enjoy jumping around a forest impaling everything on your boner, there is probably no hope for you.

Marketing New Brain fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 8, 2016

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Jukebox Hero posted:

I don't even think hard is the right word, imo it just has that problem some rpgs get where there's a few really overpowered tricks and since those are there everything else is kind of 'whatever' and it feels like you're gimping yourself by using substandard tactics(okay, that might just be me...). Specifically, I'm talking about Birdie(?)s gasoline spit move, if you make everyone else a fire user(and there's WAY more fire sources than any other type of elemental damage) you start dealing pretty stupid damage.

Talking from a shaky memory of the mechanics, I kinda just slogged through.

The plot was a really dumb exercise in predestination. I don't think it's a spoiler to say the plot is way too... 'locked.' None of the choices matter at all, and it felt really forced. I didn't expect a happy ending, admittedly, but "You're an rear end in a top hat! You've always been an rear end in a top hat!" Was the Worst Part of Spec Ops, and it works even less effectively here. I might be being overly sensitive, so if I'm reading this wrong, somebody tell me.

All that said, the humor in it is actually really good and I like the guy who made it a lot.

The Joyful was a pile of boring dog poo poo.

the whole point of spec ops is that you're a loving rear end in a top hat dude. like if you legit beat the game and were legitimately upset that the ending did not have a good option, are you the type of moron that wants a fallout style morality system to tell them YOU DID GOOD every time you shoot someone?

becaus eyou missed the fuckin point pal, and spec ops hits you over the head with its point with about as much finesse as a 7th grade book report

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I bought into the spec ops hype but stopped playing about 3 hours in when it became apparent it was just another boring rear end military shooter at heart.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Uncle Wemus posted:

i have pretty mild expectations for this game. if its just a modern version of Noctis, which is basically what they originally said it was gonna be, i will be happy with it and play it a shitload.

theres apparently crafting and other poo poo though which i feel like is just a shoehorned in reaction to the fanbase losing their poo poo star citizen style at 'what u can accomplish in the game' when the original design didn't include any of that stuff.

plus the game has been delayed a shitload (admittedly for miscellaneous legal reasons) but in that dead time have the developers been working on it, or did the game reach gold already and it's just been sitting there since 2014?

regardless i dont think it will ever be able to live up to the hype even if it is a decent game. it's going to be the next spore, even if it's objectively less poo poo than spore

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

notZaar posted:

I bought into the spec ops hype but stopped playing about 3 hours in when it became apparent it was just another boring rear end military shooter at heart.

it is yeah but i dont like millitary shooters really and i enjoyed spec ops. its basically just a call of duty single player campaign

it is a very pretty game with cool art direction, the sound design is good, and it did a good job of making the combat feel tense. thats probably why i liked it because there were some legit white knuckle moments where you wonder 'well how much worse is this going to get, jesus christ'

its not some magnum opus of ~bideo djame art~ and if controlling a character you dont personally identify with 1-1 agitates your autism (or if a hackneyed heart of darkness ripoff will disagree with u politically) then u might hate it but its a game u can get for like $10, its p good imo

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

The undaertale guy seems ok since he dodged all tumblry questions

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

nigga crab pollock posted:

becaus eyou missed the fuckin point pal, and spec ops hits you over the head with its point with about as much finesse as a 7th grade book report

Yeah, that's right, it was very unsubtle and stupid.

That's why I'm saying it's bad.

And a stupid, unsubtle point that makes the whole game ring hollow is bad.

One could almost say you missed the point of my bringing it up.

I'm using small sentences so I don't confuse you.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
did anyone else play that terrible Everquest rts or did I hallucinate that? Can't even remember the name and I'm phone posting so it's hard to check

I'd like to nominate that turd

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Jukebox Hero posted:

Jesus man. Its just a game, why do you have to be so mad?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Jukebox Hero posted:

Have you considered not playing video games at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Mulatto Butts posted:

did anyone else play that terrible Everquest rts or did I hallucinate that? Can't even remember the name and I'm phone posting so it's hard to check

I'd like to nominate that turd

Lords of Everquest and yes, I played it. Was extremely mediocre.

• Locked thread