Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wee Stubby Nublet
Nov 20, 2015

by Lowtax

Trojan.exe posted:

I'm a lefty technically, but my family were all Catholics and apparently writing right-handed is less sinful so I learned to write with my right hand.

The same thing happened to me when i was a kid - they changed me over from left to right like that. Not for religious reasons though.

It was at that time in school when they first start teaching you how to write. I had begun to write everything backwards - starting from the righthand side of page instead of at the left margin, and letters in the words in backwards order too. I didn't know (understand, at that age) that doing that was a big problem and poo poo just didn't work like that.

They called my parents in for a meeting at the school - in hindsight, probably to break the news to them that their poor kid was retarded and that it would be best for all concerned if she was institutionalised so they didn't have to suffer the burden. Anyway, I wasn't saying peep, 'coz I couldn't undrrstand what the big deal was but did know it was a "big deal" to have your parents dragged in for a meeting. My Mum ended up demanding I speak and tell them what was going on.

I told them that if I started at the lefthand margin, as our teacher wanted us to, I couldn't see what I had just written to see if everything was lining up properly; but worse, the greylead pencil (of what I'd just written) would smudge 'coz my hand would swipe on it as I wrote the next bit. My lines were turning out as great wobbly up/down streaks of grey smudge with no real discernable letters at all. So, I decided that starting from the righthand side of page solved both those problems since I could now see the letters I'd just written and my hand wasn't resting on them to cause the smudge. I didn't realise that words themselves don't work backwards like that.

It was then that they decided to change me from left-handed to write right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wee Stubby Nublet
Nov 20, 2015

by Lowtax

• Locked thread