Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

quote:

Fresno Police Sgt. Dan Macias tells the Fresno Bee (http://bit.ly/28ZVnQU) the girl's mother had left the door open because it was hot and she thought the dogs were tied up in the back yard.

Sounds like another idiot dog owner who can't socialize/train animals well or at all getting an aggressive/energetic dog breed to me. Only reason those dogs were tied up in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Central CA and uncle's pit bulls tied up in the backyard?

Rednecks, prolly on meth.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Millie posted:

Especially when we know pit bulls (even 1% pit bulls) have a locking jaw mechanism (thank you, nature) so if it clamps down on the baby's face, good luck getting it off. You'll have to take baby with pit bull attached to the hospital and they'll have to use some kind of surgical saw or something but your baby will be dead.

This is some untrue bullshit.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
You see a Canadian goose coming at you, run.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

ArbitraryC posted:

This is always the part that gets me, you'll see dog people get really into breed history and how you shouldn't get this kind of dog without being able to provide it that kind of environment or how these ones tend to be overprotective of their owner or those ones tend to etc etc etc and then the second a pit bull enters the discussion it's all about training and nurturing and has nothing to do with the dog's natural inclinations.

It's both though kinda. Some breeds are more gentle, relaxed, better with kids, etc. Some breeds were bred to work and have high energy.

Don't get a high energy working breed if you don't have space for it, don't have time to train it well, and can't devote the time to work its energy off. No poo poo buying a pit bull then tying it to a post in the backyard for hours a day while never socializing it well will result in a vicious aggressive dog.

But no matter what you breed you have, it needs proper training and socialization and love.

ArbitraryC posted:

Like how the exact same people that will tell you that a greyhound is always gonna need a leash cause they will always be a flight risk even if they're well trained suddenly think evolution doesn't apply to their pits.

But those people are stupid. Greyhounds do fine off leash if they are well trained. Pit bulls don't just snap one day and bite people for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
It's the same with humans really - genetics predispose you to certain behaviors but they aren't deterministic.

• Locked thread